Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ireland Duo Announce International Retirement
News Archive

The end of an era for Staunton (Allsport)
06/16/2002. Ireland duo Niall Quinn and Steve Staunton have both announced their retirement from international football.

Quinn, who by his own admission wasn't fit enough to play a full game in the World Cup, and Staunton, who won his 100th cap against Germany a week ago, both made their decisions after Ireland unluckily lost on penalties to Spain this afternoon.

Staunton told RTE, "I'm going to hang up my boots on this scene. There's enough here for **** (McCarthy) to work with and I don't think my knee could handle a few more years of this to be honest."

Quinn added, "I've had a wonderful time. It has been great while it's lasted but it's over now. I've got the rest of my life to lead now but I'm really grateful for having lived the Ireland experience. I'm looking forward to bringing my children along to Lansdowne Road and watching top-class football and Ireland qualifying for tournaments for the next 10 years."

soccerage
-------------------------
i thought mcateer was going to retire too...anyway, quinn and staunton have been great for ireland...good luck to them and hope they still keep playing well for their clubs... :)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alan Kelly Quits International Football
News Archive

06/17/2002. Alan Kelly has become the third member of the Ireland World Cup squad to retire from international football.

The Blackburn goalkeeper, who played no part in the World Cup, follows Niall Quinn and Steve Staunton in quitting the international scene.

soccerage

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
All 3 of them did a great service for the NT and they should be thanked for their commitment to the Irish squad for so many years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts