Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We travel to Portman Road to face the Tractor boys who have just come off a good win against Boro on Wednesday while the United lads were putting out a below par performance at Old Trafford.

Ipswich are still in with a shout of avoiding relegation but for this to happen they have to win their remaining two games.United could be found out tomorrow specially since a lot of the players will already be thinking about the trip to Germany.:eek:I really hope that this aint the case and Fergie makes it clear to them that anything less than 3 points will spell the end of our Championship challenge.

With Gaz out for the rest of the season,Irwin might be used as the right-back along with Brown,Blanc and Silvestre in a four man defence.

Fergie might opt to rest Giggsy for this game and put out Veron,Scholes,Butt and Fortune in a four man midfield while Ole and Ruud form our frontline.

The players might be a bit lethargic after the midweek game while the Ipswich players along with their players will be up for this game,make no mistake about it.;)

I just hope that we come off with all three points and continue to put pressure on both Arsenal and Liverpool.:)

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
blanc is injured as well....it looks like O'Shea's gonna have to shine tomorrow

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keano is fit to play tomorrow against Ipswich.:eekani:

What a tremendous recovery.:)

However Blanc will be missing the game and he is also doubtful for the return leg at the Bay Arena.

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is one of those games which we should win handily but where a lapse of concentration like we saw against Leverkusen could kill our ever shrinking hopes of claiming the PL title.

Unfortunately, Blanc is out -- and just when he was hitting good form. But with Keane back hopefully we can take early command of this fixture.

PREDICTION
ManU 2 - Ipswich 0

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Premiership Preview: Ipswich v Manchester Utd
News Archive

It promises to be an anxious 90 minutes for Ipswich boss George Burley (ALLSPORT)
04/26/2002. Premiership Preview: Ipswich v Manchester Utd

AT STAKE
It's make or break time now for Ipswich Town as they struggle to hang on to their topflight status and in the process send Sunderland back down to the First Division. As the Black Cats play Charlton and Derby in their remaining two games, so George Burley's side face two champion-chasing sides in Man Utd and Arsenal. That being said though, the pressure may be felt more on Wearside where Sunderland are expected to beat Derby on the final day of the season, whereas the Tractor Boys have the odds stacked against them. One thing in their favour against Alex Ferguson's side is that the Red Devils may be concentrating more on next week's Champions League second leg tie in Germany than they are on the match at Portman Road, especially if they feel that the Premiership crown is beyond them. While the searchlight focuses on other parts of the compound, Town could make a bid for the wire and scramble to safety. Whatever happens in Suffolk on Saturday though, they desperately need Sunderland, or even Bolton, to lose or else it's back to solitary confinement for Ipswich.

Having under-estimated Bayer Leverkusen in midweek, Manchester Utd suddenly find themselves facing up to the prospect of finishing the season trophy-less as they will find it hard to beat the German side on their own patch - just ask Liverpool - and a five-point gap between them and Arsenal looks way too big to pull back. Should the Gunners lose at Bolton on Monday night, then this will put a different perspective on proceedings, given that both Liverpool and United win on Saturday. With Gary Neville joining David Beckham in the sidelines this week, Alex Ferguson may feel the need to rest a couple of players in order to keep them fresh, and injury-free, for the Leverkusen trip. This could play into Ipswich's hands, but how many times in the past has Ferguson fielded a bunch of kids only to romp to an easy victory? Watch this space...

TEAM NEWS AND FORM GUIDE
After beating Middlesbrough in midweek, George Burley is expected to name an unchanged line-up with goalscoring hero Darren Bent having to settle for a place on the bench. Long-term injury victims Jermaine Wright and Keith Branagan will not play again this season, while Tommy Miller will return to the bench after shaking off a knock.

Ipswich (all comps – oldest results first): DLDLLW: Town's 1-0 defeat of Middlesbrough on Wednesday night was their first maximum haul in ten games and their first at Portman Road since January 29th, although they have now gone three games without defeat at home, even though they had previously drawn 0-0 with both Aston Villa and Chelsea. Their away form is currently one of the worst in the league, having lost four of their last five and with a visit to Liverpool still to come, the omens do not look good.

Gary Neville broke a bone in his foot during Wednesday night's 2-2 draw with Bayer Leverkusen and he won't play again this season and he may miss the World Cup Finals. Phil Neville should deputise, although Alex Ferguson may go with the experienced Denis Irwin instead. Roy Keane should return to the starting eleven in place of the disappointing Juan Veron.

Manchester Utd (all comps – oldest results first): WWWWWD: Wednesday night's 2-2 draw with Bayer Leverkusen in the UEFA Champions League brought to an end a run of five successive victories that saw 13 goals scored and just five conceded. Alex Ferguson's side haven't lost an away game in the Premiership since suffering a 3-1 defeat at Arsenal way back on November 25th and since then have bagged four goals at Bolton, five at West Ham, four at Leeds and three at Chelsea – an impressive record.

WHO'S HOT?
Ipswich: Darren Bent: The young striker came off the subs bench in midweek to score the decisive goal that kept alive Ipswich's survival hopes. He has been shunted into the background since his namesake, Marcus, arrived from Blackburn, but he has an exciting future ahead of him nevertheless.

Manchester Utd: Nicky Butt: Since Roy Keane's absence through injury, Butt has proved an excellent deputy with a number of impressive displays in the centre of midfield and he looks set to play a part in England's World Cup bid.

WHO'S NOT?
Ipswich: Marcus Stewart: It's been a miserable campaign for the former Huddersfield and Bristol Rovers striker after his memorable exploits of last season. He will want to forget all about the 2001/02 season, but will he get another chance to score goals at Premiership level next season?

Manchester Utd: Phil Neville: The younger of the Neville brothers still looks way out of his depth at Old Trafford, but amazingly still finds himself involved in the England set-up. What must the likes of Luke Young, Robbie Elliott, Neil Clement and Michael Gray think when they're constantly overlooked in favour of United's bit-part player?

POSSIBLE STARTING XIs
Ipswich (5-3-2): Marshall; McGreal; Clapham; Bramble; Venus; Hreidrasson; Holland; Reuser; Bent,M; Stewart; Peralta.

Manchester Utd (4-4-2): Barthez; Irwin; Silvestre; Blanc; Brown; Butt; Keane; Scholes; Van Nistelrooy; Solskjaer; Giggs.

soccerage

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
carson, 2 months ago i came on and u had 7000 posts,now u have 15000 posts! u definantly ARE THE WINNER of the got no life club.. :) (inter forum)

um, unfortunantely i can see united losing and crashign our chances of winning the league!!

united really shoudl win 3-0 but i dunno if our mind is on the league at the momet

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
i've got a dodgy feeling about this one. ipswich are fighting for their lives and i don't think fergie will want to risk the likes of veron and RVN before tuesday.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
yeh could be iffy

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
liverpool have just lost to tottenham 1-0...i think this should motivate manu into getting that 2nd spot for this week,,,,im going for a manu win

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
1-0 to the champions.

Dodgy penalty decision but who gives a feck.

We played well considering the makeshift team we put out and the scoreline flatteres Ipswich IMO.

Diego had a good match, tho it's a pity he didn't score.

Bring on the double..

ONE LOVE - MUFC

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
that's one less match to play, and the good thing is that we've got a few players that are going to be quite fresh on tuesday.:)
hard-luck scousers, but i supposed it's never over til the fat lady sings:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
It was tough, i always knew it would be since Arsenal struggled to put them out with a full squad.

Quite frankly we didn't deserve to get 3 points, but as Liebero said," who gives a feck". :)

Forlan played great, he did everything exept score :( man of the match IMO

Keane had a fantastic shot which hit the cross bar (a shame).

Our defence was dodgy at times and we were VERY lucky not to conceed a few.

Anyway nuff said, the scousers lost to spurs, hurray! :D

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll get the game tomorrow so cant comment on it now.

This is a fantastic result for us because I thought that we could easily slip up in this game.However instead of United its the Scousers who have dropped out of the title race.;):D

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Arsenal are still very much in the driving seat.

The clever thing to do is concentrate on the Lever game and forget about the ELP for now.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I didnt watch the match BUT a victory is all i have to hear/see...

It was always gonna be a tough match, we played against a team that needed to win to have a chance of staying up, and we didnt have our best team, BUT 3pts are great news...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was very impressed with John O'Shea, besides one dodgy moment he did'nt put a foot wrong. Hes a good passer, brings the ball out from the back and also gives us a good physical presence in defence. Whatever happens with Blanc or any new signings I hope he gets more playing time next year.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keane is God said:
I was very impressed with John O'Shea, besides one dodgy moment he did'nt put a foot wrong. Hes a good passer, brings the ball out from the back and also gives us a good physical presence in defence. Whatever happens with Blanc or any new signings I hope he gets more playing time next year.
Me too.:)He looks like an excellent prospect for the future and Fergie's doing the right thing in bringing him on slowly.I expect him to play more games next season and perhaps a couple of seasons afterwards he'll really start to flourish in United colours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts