Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Master Debater
21,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no such thread so I figured I'd start one.

This would be a good place for community members of the Turkish board to talk about trading.

So if any of you are heavily into trading we can sit here and exchange ideas.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
What ideas you got?

·
Master Debater
21,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not exactly a buy and hold long term investor.

I'm still bearish on financials, I've got a decent short position on Leh (I think the rally on it yesterday was a bear rally) I don't think the sector has hit rock bottom yet and has a decent down side. BLK on the other hand seems to be one of the few financials which I think will do well despite the troubles in the sector.I was also fairly bullish on RBS in the short term but they just got downgraded today.

Technology has afew good nitch companies as I'm a big fan of HPQ although I'm tempted to take my profits now and get out.

Right now I'm also short in Hov, CHL, C, and F.

Thinking of getting out of Hov as it seems they might be hitting rock bottom soon. CHL might seem crazy to be short on considering the boom in the mobile sector in China but I truly believe the stock is overvalued.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
I don't invest in individual stocks b/c I am not allowed to due to work reasons. However, I do invest in index mutual funds. The industry in which I work is based around indexing and the whole concept of advantageous passive investing- so I believe in it, you can say.

But that doesn't mean I don't have time to follow stocks and stuff. By the way, good analysis of the EURUSD in the other thread, you nailed it. Big Ben on Tuesday said inflation, inflation- dollar rallied. Trichet on Thursday went nuts with his interest rate projection, and the EUR rallied. And today's jobs report wow that was ugly. let's just say a lot of people were not happy this morning.

Anyways, I believe Lehman is undervalued right now. I can't see them having the same problem ass Bear, they are much more diversified, their cash base is better.....it is all up to them now- they have to let the market know that they are in good shape, b/c they are.

·
Master Debater
21,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyways, I believe Lehman is undervalued right now. I can't see them having the same problem ass Bear, they are much more diversified, their cash base is better.....it is all up to them now- they have to let the market know that they are in good shape, b/c they are.
Well Lehman has some advantages that Bear didn't. The most important being access to emergency funds from the Fed. The Fed certainly won't let Lehman tumble to that extent and yes I do believe like you do that eventually they'll turn it around. If you're looking at it from the prospective of 1-2 years or more yes I also agree Leh is undervalued.

Before this turn around I think Leh's balance sheet is utterly horrid. The short term could bring this stock near 20$ (I'm hoping).

There have been a lot of rumors that seem to have validity about Lehman needing 5 million in fresh capital which they will raise with an offering which will obviously dilute the shares already owned by the public. In such a case I think a nice put option at a strike price of 30$ expiring in december is a good play.

·
Master Debater
21,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Facchetti what do you think about infrastructure plays?

This industry obviously has its ebbs and flows but right now it seems like a huge boom is comming in this department. Most would agree that that wealth is shifting from west to east and this point I believe will lead to a huge boom in the infrastructure field. These countries with new found wealth have horrid infrastructures and will probably invest accordingly.

I guess now the trick is to find the companies with the best reputations, good fundamentals and most importantly the highest possible international exposure.

China, South Korea, UAE, Ukraine, Turkey, India, Brazil and a plethora of other nations will be spending billions on their infrastructure, a field which has basically been dormant for the past 20 years.

·
Master Debater
21,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lehman announced today that it will be raising 6 billion with an offering. I'd hoped it would be 5 billion as in an earlier post but 6 is much better. 4 billion in common stock at 28 bucks a piece and 2 billion in prefered shares.

Investors today are running for the hills, we're a bit past midday trading and the stock has already taken an 11% gorilla punch.

Buyakasha

BCS too is hurting today but I think they'll rebound quicker.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
LEH down 12 percent.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Facchetti what do you think about infrastructure plays?

This industry obviously has its ebbs and flows but right now it seems like a huge boom is comming in this department. Most would agree that that wealth is shifting from west to east and this point I believe will lead to a huge boom in the infrastructure field. These countries with new found wealth have horrid infrastructures and will probably invest accordingly.

I guess now the trick is to find the companies with the best reputations, good fundamentals and most importantly the highest possible international exposure.

China, South Korea, UAE, Ukraine, Turkey, India, Brazil and a plethora of other nations will be spending billions on their infrastructure, a field which has basically been dormant for the past 20 years.

Yep, hop on the Macquarie bandwagon! :thumbsup:

It is a no lose situation. Of course, the lose situation being the stability of gov'ts and of funding...but granted you invest in stable nations, it should not be an issue

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
im just on long term investing with a few northern alberta oil companies who are looking to make a profit in the oil sands. But some won't even start production till 2009... hopefully that will work out.

·
Master Debater
21,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gamestop rarely moves this time of year unless it comes out with horrid news.

Yesterday 16000 call options for june were picked up while the average per day option buys on the stock are 4500. Somebody is expecting something big to happen but this time of year I can't possibly see what that could be, it isn't like gamestop is going to post market shattering earnings reports or guidance.

Imo there are only two possibilities. A leak from the inside about a possible buyout of Gamestop or bad rumors about a takeover sparking the interest of some over zealous investors.

Right now the dollar is up against all major currencies in overseas trading. Tuesday morning will be an interesting trading day.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
damn tolga I was gonna post the exact same thing.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
I don't know anything about investments. Is there some good website with some basic explanations? Or does anyone care to explain it here? :)

·
Registered
23,556 Posts

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Thanks a bunch. I'll read it surely when I get home.

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Thanks a bunch. I'll read it surely when I get home.
I think its something everybody should at least have an idea of. A lot of people out there still don't know what investing is about. A lot of bankers take advantage of that. Not necessarily in a negative way, but if you look at some banks that deal with investments - such as mutual funds. They will actually throw your money into sponsored funds, where the bank has a deal with that particular fund... so it may make you lets say 4% in the year, but there may have been a different one where it was probably going to make you upwards to 10% a year. If you don't really know what to look for though, spotting that will be impossible, and on top of that a lot of bankers are smooth talkers who can convince you of many things :D.

Investment is also important in general. The earlier you start, the better off you'll be in the long run. A lot of people underrate it and just don't put the time into understanding it. If someone just spent at least a month of their life just to fully get accustomed to what it all means, your retirement will be 100X easier and comfortable I guarantee it. Your kids will be better off too (considering you want kids).

Good to see that you're interested VeteraN, I highly recommend you take a look. :thumbsup:

·
Master Debater
21,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Look at Cenko sounding like a banker trying to talk people into investing.

Maybe Cenko is a hedge fund manager trying to poach new customers here. Haydi Cenko give us some insider information on the oil industry.

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
puaha. Never.

I'll tell you this, i'm no hedge fraud.. i mean fund manager..

1 - 20 of 221 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.