1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interview with Javier Zanetti
From Diario-Ole
Translated by Humbird

Q. Do you tell your wife, Paula that between June and July you will be occupied or that she should look for a vacation spot?

A. She goes with me everywhere, there are not problems, she came with me to France, Japan and will go to Germany because I feel I belong with the NT. More than that, they make me feel I belong.

Q. Was it a bad sign you were left off the team for Croatia?

A. No. Jose had the right to look for variations more than ever because it was the last friendly before he makes the final list. I’m calm about it because when I play for the NT I am useful and I hope to continue. I have played a lot for Pekerman.

Q. In other positions there no tests, everyone is permanent except you and Saviola.

A. I played for Passarella, continued with Bielsa, and I will continue with Jose. If I do well for my club I will be in Germany.

Q. So you are not panicking?

A. I know how the NT is managed. For my part I only try to do well playing for Inter where I feel great. Since I recovered from the injury I have not missed a match and I continue at a high level.

Q. IN Argentina there are those who doubt your presence.

A. That is normal. A few months before a world cup they always shuffle names around, it is part of the game. The reporters mention names. I will continue being calm, I feel part of the national team.

Q. Has the time passed where you would have liked to get certain reporters in an elevator?

A. Yes, Everyone understands football in his own way. I respect the critics and they even help if they are constructive, but I don’t tolerate bad intentions.

Q. If you feel anxious would you disconnect your internet?

A. Nothing I read in a newspaper or hear in the radio changes my opinion. I am confident of what I can give.

Q. Do you think that here the fans value you as much as there?

A. It could be that I am more recognized in Italy but I have been here for 11 years. In Argentina I was seen more with Banfield and the national team, but in Milan or Buenos Aires, the fans are always good.

Q. What is it like to be Zanetti in the streets of Milan?

A. When I am recognized in the streets they say to me in Italian: “Hello Captain” which makes me proud.

Q. What surprised you most in your first days with the club?

A. When I first arrived Bergomi, the captain said to me: “Zanetti, tomorrow we are going to a party, what do you ask for?” I didn’t understand anything, but it was that you could select a prize. Obviously I didn’t ask for anything. At the end they gave me a television and some stereo equipment. I couldn’t believe it. When I arrived at home, my father looked at me as if I had robbed someone. Just recently, I was talking with Recoba who has been here nine years and he said to me “the quantity of players we have seen….”

Q. How did you survive?

A. The professionalism of the Argentinian player is valuable. I was always on good terms with the management and with the fans.

Q. Do you want to be president?

A. I am fine, I have a contract until 2010 and when I retire I’m sure I will continue here. Although I don’t know how. I only confirm that I don’t want to coach.

Q. Why?

A. I don’t like it. I would prefer to do something more social, like Moratti’s wife is the face of the Foundation in Italy.

Q. Do you change diapers?

A. Yes I do everything with my 9 month old daughter Sol. I hope that she will accompany me to Germany.

Q. Do you have a wish to play for one of the big teams in Argentina?

A. It would be nice because I went from Banfield to Inter.

Q. Passarella is at River and El Cholo at Racing.

A. Yes, Daniel was the first to call me up for the national team. And el Cholo is a friend who was born to coach. But now I have other objectives.

Q. Do you talk about it with other Argentinians.

A. Yes. Cambiasso and Burdisso. We drink mate and talk about the world cut, but also about Inter in the champion’s league. Today it is Villarreal…

Q. Riquelme.

A. He plays very well for his team, the same with Messi.

Q. It is always better when they play for the same team as you.

A. Certainly. I hope that will happen in the world cup because I will not lie, I dream about playing my third world cup.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
ampersand said:
man of the match today, can anyone imagine ponzio or coloccini replacing him?
pekerman can.!!!!

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Not only a great player but also a nice person!

OUTSTANDING tonight!!!

If pekerman did not start him in Germany I think I will be way pessimistic about Argentina's chances in the WC and doubting all his decisions.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yes i do mind

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Al Capone said:
You mind if I copy this to the INter forum?
As long as you credit me for the translation, you can copy it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
i tought Zanettis was a regular in the starting lineup... he should be, cuz there is no better right back out there :)

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Deno said:
i tought Zanettis was a regular in the starting lineup... he should be, cuz there is no better right back out there :)
i agree, but some managers think colocinni(lazy), scaloni(crap) and ponzio (inexpereinced ar national) are better.

i only rate ibarra as good as zanetti.today we saw the old zanetti, with his superb link with right winger stankovic, and used to always link with argentinas right wing, until pekerman changed a working system and forbid his side to cross the ball and insteas keep ball on the floor as he expects that to work against a wall of 11 defenders.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Bocha said:
Zanetti will be travelling to Germany if he's fit.

Name your odds on him being left out, and I'll see them...
7/2 he is left out, and if he does make it 2/1 he doesn't start

not what I would want to happen but those are my odds

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
every respective world cup website, and every countries sport website tat preview world cup all say when it comes to argenitna., they bets players include zanetti.

so if the rest of the world, inc non arg fans can see zanettio as a great player, how come pekerman cant.

how every world cup a suprise player is picked and dropped.
98 no redondo or sorin
2002 no saviola
2006 no zanetti, and instead maybe scaloni and colo

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
ampersand said:
how did he play today?
was ok, made no istakes, inter attack play was shit.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
dammage7 said:
i agree, but some managers think colocinni(lazy), scaloni(crap) and ponzio (inexpereinced ar national) are better.

i only rate ibarra as good as zanetti.today we saw the old zanetti, with his superb link with right winger stankovic, and used to always link with argentinas right wing, until pekerman changed a working system and forbid his side to cross the ball and insteas keep ball on the floor as he expects that to work against a wall of 11 defenders.

Two things damage

Its surprising to see someone else rate Ibarra so highly. I have rated this man so highliy since i saw him in torneo de veranos about 6 years ago yet i have never seen anyone else respect him up till now. He is an outstanding player going forward and like Zanetti and UNLIKE Cafu......he can really defend well.

Then this thing about Argentina playing the ball on the ground all the time. Not that it is a bad tactic for attacking but if it becomes your only tactic for attacking it seriously damages your chances. It has been Argentina's down foall for 2 world cups now. Always on the ground.......no width always through the middle.

Its quite worrying as i wud like to see Argentina do well but with the formation almost picking itself up front (Carlitos-right footed on left and Messi left footed on the right) i fear for more of the same as both will be instinctively cutting inside

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
i have to disagree tazz, all i saw in japorea were crosses from piojo/kily on the left and from ortega on the right that never went anywhere. very little ground play in the last third of the field.
in 98 it was better, playing through the middle with few crosses, and who knows, if passarella takes redondo and caniggia maybe argentina gets to the final.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
ya but those were not touch line crosses in terms of genuine width.

Those were Two forwards/strikers trying to pass to a solitary striker in themiddle.

Tactically IMHO there was a seed of abject stupidity at the heart of the exit u guys suffered last time around

still hurts...

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
the more i read lanacion and ole clarin, it seems adamant thatzanetti is not going to the world cup.
i think pekerman has influenced the media papers alot.
since pekerman comments, the medai, suprisingly arent defending zanetti, and are also saying he is not going.
i seriously don't understand if zanetti isnt going. tho ponzio is good, lets be honest, he is not a world class rb, and wouldnt get into any top national team at right back, same goes for scaloni and coloccini.
also, zanetti is a better rb than sorin is LB
if anything we have better player sin left back, who are better than sorin ie heinze and cufre.

this can also lead to me saying, sorin should not be captain.
Ayala shoud be and after him zanetti(a real leader, capatin of inter for so many years)

herre is a nice article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4893630.stm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts