Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intertoto here we come!

Although this should mean Villa are knackered by January and do what West Ham did this year! :(

Stupid boys, how could you do this to me???

E

·
0 Posts
saaaaaaaad thing.

I sat in my chair for 1½ hour after the match sulking....not talking to my mates.

But maybe its good match training ? (intertoto matches) hehe....need to see it on the positive side

How many matches will we play in intertoto ?

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never followed the Intertoto before, not needing to! So I haven't the faintest idea!

You did the same as me then! I cried solidly for 20 minutes then just sat staring at the floor, until my mum and friends returned from Wembley!

It wasn't helped by the fact that their were Chelsea fans near me! Grrrrrrrr :(

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Well, let me think. My gloriouse team played first round against Lierge, second round against Rennes, did not play third round anymore, but the other austrian team did, then they fell for fourth round...So I guess it's five or six games to win in Intertoto if you wanna sneak into UEFA cup. Good luck to Villa (and Austria Wien) :)

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alexx, thanks for the info!

I'll say good luck to Austria Wein as long as we don't pull them! :)

By the way do you know when they do the draw?

------------------
WESV

WESF

- Lealdade, Humildade e Procedimento

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
The thing is as follows. We (Austria Wien) will wait for the winner of team from Albania - team from Cyprus. We then will beat the winner and go to third round. In third round some countries (including England) come in AND THAT WILL BE THE POSSIBILITY FOR VILLA - WIEN. Book your trip for 15th or 22nd of July ! :)

The 2000 UEFA Intertoto Cup will kick-off on 17 June with the first 40 clubs facing each other in home-and-away knock-out matches, and following the competition draw in Nyon, the pairings for this round and the subsequent two stages have been decided, although the participants have yet to be named.

The 20 winners will be joined by another 12 competitors in the Second Round, to be played on 1/2 and 8/9 July, and the 16 teams who qualify from that round will be joined by eight teams from Spain, France, Russia, Italy, Germany, England, Greece and the Netherlands, who have earned the privilege of entering the competition at the Third Round stage.

As usual, the UEFA Intertoto Cup has been designed to produce three ‘winners’, each of whom will gain a place in the 2000/2001 UEFA Cup First Round. The draw for the semi-final and final matches involving the 12 winners of the Third Round pairings will therefore take place on Monday 10 July 2000.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey we can't even be the only winner :)

Thanks for the info Alexx!!!! Vienna here I come huh!? :)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Of course you go to Vienna then. You will see a tiny stadium (13 000) and a mighty team :) , which will be Villa, against some cute dwarfs (us) :)

If I understand the modus, Villa only has to win one round, maybe two. But that should be very possible indeed :)

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awww it's sweet that you only have a 13,000 ground....will I beable to get a ticket for the Villa end???

Hehehe, if I do, you'll have to look for the blonde dwarf dressed in claret and blue! :)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
On the Villa End will only be space for like 2000 people. I don't know how many Villans are travelling regularly, but maybe you will need my help for perfect seats on the Sindelar tribune :)

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Ah, the good old Intertoto...as I recall from the Hammer's adventures hither and yon last year, you might be expected to play in around five or six games. It starts in mid-June, so on the plus side you have something to occupy your mind during the fallow rumour mills of the dog days of summer. Plus, you get to see some places you might not normally see...such as Finland, Cyprus, the Faroe Islands! And yes, the Intertoto can be tiring, look at how tired Juve got in May! As for the Hammers, we were both tired out and not that good (but better than Tottenham, and that is important), which is a deadly combination in any year! Good luck to Villa (and too bad about the FA Cup...I was rooting for the Villans to take out nasty Chelsea), and if you do play Austria Wien, remember that they once had one of the best players in history running on their pitch (Mattias Sindelar of the 1920's and 30's), so tread lightly on it out of respect. And on a totally non-Intertoto tip; Gareth Barry V Brasil? Who would a thunk it! RIO

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmmm 2000, I don't actually know how many people will take the trip, it being summer, the cost of this season with the cups and the current job problems in Birmingham with Longbridge (thanks to our chums, BMW!). So maybe I could get one! :) In any case your help would be appreciated! :)

RIO, I have to say thank you...I didn't know who Sindelar was, but now my ignorance is fading!
As for Barry V Bresil, who knows, he's got a skilful way on the ball, but he could be shown up if he tries to be too pretty in defence! :) Good luck to the little lad! :)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Let's see, Natalya, first we have to reach the round of possible encounter.... :)

And let me say one thing: WOW, you know Sindelar, RIO, that is quite something, even if he indeed is considered as one of the best in history. ... and after checking your profile it's even more suprising you know him. And now don't tell me your from SF originally, because that in connection with knowing Sindelar would REALLY suprise me :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Alexx, just to say that my team from Belgium played against yours in Intertoto this season. Remember a team called Sint-Truiden (STVV) or nickname 'The Canaries' from Belgium ??

Well, i was there in Austria and had a great time and a lot of fun :). If you have to play there you should go for sure because you will have a great time there, although we had ;) We won 1-2 but at home we lost badly 0-2 at home so Austria Wien could go to the next round.

p.s. Many teams that play the intertoto cup don't have a good season. We had to fight against relegation while we ended 9th last year..

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited 28-05-2000).]

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Born and raised, Alexx. I just like reading history of all kinds, and I recall reading about Austria in the 20's and 30's and the tragic events of Sidelar's life somewhere. Not all Americans are ignorant of the rest of the world (although many are). But enjoying a sport that the rest of the world plays and is not popular here can help one to look outside of the USA for information of all kinds. RIO

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well bien sur Alexx! Of course Austria Wein must progress to meet the B'ham giants! :)

I just hope we have a big enough squad next year to deal with the fatigue of the Intertoto!

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
As for RIO, respect to you ! :)
As for Kevin, you were there ? I was too and as they did constructing on one of the stands, the Canari supporters sat right next to me on the Nausch tribune (RIO,you know him too ? Nausch is another interesting one. He was a national player as well, a big and bold guy who refused to do anything what the new regime was telling him. And by being a celebrity, he got away with that dangerous attitude). Nice supporter, the Canaries. I saw that grandpa, rather old chap who hardly could walk anymore. But he travelled to the away game and smoked a strange sort of cigar at any time...

Natalya, :) Wein is "wine" and Wien is "Vienna". But with that vast "Heurigen" tradition around Vienna, you probably can call the city Wein as well... :)

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll try to remember this! :) What can I say in defence of my appaling Austrian? nothing! :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
yep Alexx, i was there. It was my first ever european game from my team i was visiting.. (we only played 3 games and the first 2 in Intertoto were too far and expensive)
The whole trip was fantastic, the only problem was that our hotel was 30 km from were we should be, bad organization from our supportersclub :)

Like Natalya said, i hope for Villa that they can handle the intertoto cup with their team cause it starts early and you will have a long season. PLayers who are tired, injured,.. It all happened with us but we only have a small squad and we started from the first round of the intertoto cup. Luckily you don't have to...

succes ;)

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Kevin, huh, 30 km, that's sort of far out (in any sense)... :)

Is grandpa an icon with the Canaries ?

As for playing Intertoto instead of proper pre-season training, well that's a problem for you and us (second round) but Villa are coming in rather late, like Juve last season. That should help. Still, the season finishing of Juve didn't look too convincing. Not convincing enough for ALL MIGHTY LAZIO and that was such a good thing... :)

As this is Villa terretory: Go Villa go ! Intertoto won't be a problem, believe me :)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts