Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the draw --> http://www.uefa.com/competitions/IntertotoCup/news/Kind=1/newsId=294422.html

To start with 'ESP 2', they'll play in the 2nd round against a Maltese or 'Servia 1', think about a team like OFK Beograd of FK Zemun then... if they're able to beat that team, then it's one of the following waiting: winenr from CRO 2 v SLO versus CYP v ROM 2, haven't got a clue, so an easy draw.

'ESP 1' starts in the third round against the 'winner of match N' which is between (the winner of) IRL v BEL 2 versus (the winner of) BLR v CZE 3, which means... a trip to Belgium is possible, jejeje! Please make it to Belgium, but of course Ireland is ok as well, as long as it isn't Eastern Europe.

---

But what I'm doing here is all based on nothing, maybe we discussed it earlier, but IF we don't win the Cup or qualify for UEFA Cup football via the league, will we participate in the Intertoto Cup? And Erreala if they've got a good run?

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Yes, we´re in the list for intertoto for the first time, Lamikiz´s decission although the technical staff didn´t aprove it.

I say it by memory but the teams for intertoto appart from Athletic are Villarreal, Depor, Atlético (sure) Levante and Valencia (I think). So the best 2 that don´t qualify directly for european competition will play intertoto or pay the fine. Erreala isn´t on the list.

As you see it´s pretty probable we play intertoto if we don´t win the cup (impossible:D ) or end in the first six since Villarreal is almost sure and from Depor, Valencia and Atlético 2 can qualify easily, even more if we don´t.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ziaro said:
tell me how can they choose a teams from league. because i dont know
The teams can register themself during the season when they see they won't qualify for Europe directly but want to try it via the Intertoto... then the 2 best teams who registered and didn't qualify for Europe directly are going to participate...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I suppose the reason for Athletic not wanting to participate in the Intertoto cup is the excessive amount of matches played...

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Kuba said:
I suppose the reason for Athletic not wanting to participate in the Intertoto cup is the excessive amount of matches played...
Yes, it´s being shown this season we don´t have a deep bench so if the starters have to start the season one month before it can be worse, although it´s also being shown that the tiredness is mental, against Erreala they didn´t seem to be tired.:rolleyes: Anyway, looking to Villarreal it doesn´t seem they suffer a lot after playing intertoto.

Anyway, I don´t think they´ll make it this way but I think that if we play intertoto we should do it as Espanyol did some years ago. Play the subs and Bilbao Athletic players, it can serve as a preseason so the coach decides who stays, who goes loaned, sold etc... and if we make it and qualify for UEFA even better!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Erreala will not take part in Intertoto but we have an outside chance of being in Europe next season: there are 3 UEFA places for the "cleanest" teams in European Leagues. Erreala is currently the 2nd less booked team in La Liga behind Barcelona, and as Barcelona has his Champions League place guaranteed, Erreala could enter in the draw. Maybe we could have a basque derby in Europe next season? :eekani:

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those 3 UEFA places are there only if Spain as a nation is in the top-3 of the fairest countries, aren't they?

If Spain is in the top-3, then Erreala should have a good chance indeed! Gora Erreala ;).

·
Registered
556 Posts
No, I´m not sure but I think it is a draw among the fairest teams of the 10 fairest Leagues in Europe. There are 3 places to draw among 10. It´s not based only on merits, you need to be lucky too.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
iparralde said:
No, I´m not sure but I think it is a draw among the fairest teams of the 10 fairest Leagues in Europe. There are 3 places to draw among 10. It´s not based only on merits, you need to be lucky too.
Hmm, ok, probably you're right then as I'm not sure either ;), couldn't find it back on uefa.com...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts