Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two teams playing this year! :party:

The draw for the first 3 rounds took place today.

Round 1
Match 5: Cyprus' vs. Romania's 2nd
Match 6: Romania's 1st vs. Bosnia's 2nd

Round 2
Match H: England's 2nd vs. Winner/match 6
Match L: Croatia's 2nd or Slovenia's vs. Winner/match 5

Round 3
Match 9: Winner/match H vs. Armenia's, Switzerland's 2nd or France's 2nd
Match 10: Malta's, Serbia-Montenegro's 1st or Spain's 2nd vs. Winner/match L

I think any of Poli, National, Sportul, Farul and Rapid would be ideal for this tournament, and they are all elegible so we'll have to see for more news about the actual participants.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,533 Posts
Poli and National would be the best choices. Rapid was not interested in the InterToto in the previous years. Poli actually really wants to participate in an European Cup. they're really motivated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,533 Posts
I believe that in order to participate in the Intertoto Cup you have to be at least 7th in the league table. Poli can do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By Etapa 29, a team at least 8th placed (Romania's 1) and another one at least 12th placed (Romania's 2) will play the InterToto if they like. So far, those that are interested are Gloria, CFR Cluj, Farul and of course Poli. Perhaps the two highest placed teams from those that are willing to take place will play the InterToto. That looks like Farul (4th), CFR Cluj and Poli (joint 7th) for now. Gloria are 10th.

It looks like Poli will keep climbing and get an almost certain place in InterToto. Unless Farul get a UEFA Cup place through Cupa Romaniei they should join Poli.

By the way, I think Otelul should play InterToto aswell if they have such ambition as they have lately liked to think. It seems they either prefer to take progression slowly or that Mittal dude doesn't actually care for them too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70,101 Posts
If Poli and Farul play the Intertoto would be great; but I think Farul could win even the cup :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,533 Posts
Otelul argued that they will do their big spending this summer. Unlike Poli, they decided to wait. Let's see if they can put the money where their mouth is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Lupisor said:
Otelul argued that they will do their big spending this summer. Unlike Poli, they decided to wait. Let's see if they can put the money where their mouth is.
I have a hard time believing Mittal Steel. Considering that Otelul was already 8th place at the end of the first half, they could have easily made a charge for the UEFA cup this year if they invested like Poli did. Not only that but, Otelul still doesn't have an official website. Cmon, I played in a recreational soccer league and my team had an official website.

There was alot of talk about a huge budget for Otelul. Numbers ranging from 5 to 20 million were thrown around. It looks like all talk, and Mr. Mittal is just a cheap billionaire looking for cheap advertising.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,432 Posts
Poli should have a shot... i think they have potential

also we need teams that really get into european competitions and ADVANCE there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Olaroiu today said in an interview that Poli have chosen not to play the InterToto Cup this year because the team isn't ready. He wants to continue building a team that is capapble of challenging in Europe and maybe that can be a good thing in the long run.

It looks like CFR Cluj and Gloria will go for the 2 places now, seeing as Farul look likely to get an automatic UEFA Cup place from the Cup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70,101 Posts
CFR Cluj and Gloria will lose in the first rounds, as usual. I´m thinking that it´s possible that Rapid won´t play in Europe the next season, why don´t they try in the Intertoto?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Raven said:
Olaroiu today said in an interview that Poli have chosen not to play the InterToto Cup this year because the team isn't ready. He wants to continue building a team that is capapble of challenging in Europe and maybe that can be a good thing in the long run.

It looks like CFR Cluj and Gloria will go for the 2 places now, seeing as Farul look likely to get an automatic UEFA Cup place from the Cup.
By reaching the final, Farul only gets into the Uefa cup if Dinamo become the league Champions. If Dinamo doesn't win the league, then Farul needs to beat Dinamo get a spot in UEFA.

Even though I don't expect it to happen if Dinamo loses a few matches in the league and finishes 3rd place in the league behind Steaua and Rapid, then Dinamo would be forced to beat Farul. A loss to Farul would then mean that they would miss out on the European competitions. As much as David might love to see that happen, I don't think Borcea and Netoiu will let Dinamo go empty handed this year (No league, no cup, no Uefa spot.)

I would love to see Farul win the cup, but I think Dinamo will pull all the strings necessary to make sure they get a spot the European competitions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,533 Posts
Dinamo should play in the InterToto then :D

Farul can beat Dinamo, even if they pull all the strings. But the Red Dogs can take the second spot. In fact, it will be a tight finish between Rapid and Dinamo. Actually, even Farul has theoric chances to finish 2nd, but they would have to be helped by the other teams' setbacks.
 

·
International
Joined
·
9,682 Posts
What's extremely stupid is that the last league match before the Cup final is extremely important as every suspension in that game will count in the Cup final (right?). This is idiotic and the FA should delimit the two competitions when it comes to this. Dinamo will probably take care of the ref in our last league match before the Cup final.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gonzo77 said:
By reaching the final, Farul only gets into the Uefa cup if Dinamo become the league Champions. If Dinamo doesn't win the league, then Farul needs to beat Dinamo get a spot in UEFA.

Even though I don't expect it to happen if Dinamo loses a few matches in the league and finishes 3rd place in the league behind Steaua and Rapid, then Dinamo would be forced to beat Farul. A loss to Farul would then mean that they would miss out on the European competitions. As much as David might love to see that happen, I don't think Borcea and Netoiu will let Dinamo go empty handed this year (No league, no cup, no Uefa spot.)

I would love to see Farul win the cup, but I think Dinamo will pull all the strings necessary to make sure they get a spot the European competitions.
If the cupwinner already has a European spot from the league competition, then the cupfinalist gets the place in UEFA Cup. ie. if Dinamo finish second, they would already be in UEFA Cup, so then Farul take the other spot for being cup-finalists even if they don't win it. I am almost certain about this. So unless Dinamo surprisingly slip up to Rapid in the league then Farul are pretty much in Europe next season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,533 Posts
Finally, CFR Cluj and Gloria Bistrita are the teams which will represent Romania in the InterToto Cup.

http://www.gsp.ro/index.php?a=15847&shift=1

As for the UEFA Cup, if Dinamo wins the championship, Farul will get the 2nd UEFA spot since they played in the Romanian Cup. If Steaua wins the D-A title and Rapid looses or ties, FC National could get an UEFA spot if they win.
 
1 - 20 of 281 Posts
Top