Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally bought 03/04 and this is the first game, I am playing as Inter because I always play as Inter on my first game on any new CM. I have decided to run 18 divisions from 3 nations. These 3 nations are Italy, England and Spain. I am running all divisions from all three nations (which offcourse means that its Serie C2 to Serie A in Italy, Conference to Premier League in England and Second Division B to First Division in Spain).

Only the Italian league is running with Full Detail. The game only took 4 minutes to set this up, which was a surprise as I've heard that it can take up to 30 minutes, only to set up a game, and I also remember that CM4 used to take around 5-10 minutes to set up that many divisions.

But anyway, getting back to Inter, the balance at the club is 20M Euro, and the transfer budget is 23M Euro. Both the board and the supporters expects us to win Serie A. Inter has a really interesting squad, and this should be fun.

Btw, I will most probably not write as detailed as I did in my other game, so don't expect 25 updates per day. :D I don't have that much time at the moment to be able to write as much as I did in the past.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I decided to go with the 3-4-1-2, as I have great belief in this tactic, but the first two friendlies against two non 1. Bundesliga German Clubs showed a disturbing trend. Although we were creating alot of chances, we only managed to score once. Because of this I decided to cancel the remaining two friendlies against German clubs. And I arranged a friendly at home against Benfica instead.

But we had to wait until the 77th minute before Kallon finally scored, and that turned out to be the only goal of the match. This is not good, not good at all.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
That's quite a nice transfer budget. At Milan I only have 6 to 7 million pounds to spend.

Keep us updated as much as possible, and I'll be especially interested to hear how well the formation works. :)

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Only the Italian league is running with Full Detail. The game only took 4 minutes to set this up, which was a surprise as I've heard that it can take up to 30 minutes, only to set up a game...

30 minutes? I clicked "Create Game", went out to the shops to get some groceries, cooked dinner, had a shower, and then ate dinner and it was still setting up. :rolleyes:

I played with full database though, maybe that is why. I won't do that again because full databease seems to have very very limited effect on the game. Maybe a few confernace teams have their correct physios but that doesn't bother me at all. I want players kept which the DDT files do great for me, thanks.

Which size of database did you use, Dracula?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Dracula said:
I decided to go with the 3-4-1-2
yoo'll suffer a lot againts 4-2-4 opponent hmmm just like Bayern in CL. i played 4-3-1-2 for Inter and it's awesome :)
anyway, how Inter's going in yours?

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I selected medium Database Size. And I have not encountered any real speed issues yet, its been running on an adequate speed, but the Spanish season has yet to start, so it might get slower when that happens.

I have encountered a couple of other annoying problems though. The first one is that I can't see the match stats for older matches, not even the ones that were played a couple of weeks ago. I downloaded the patch from SIs official site, but I just noticed now that the patch is named "cm0304_Patch_4.1.3_with_match_stats_probs", so it might have something to do with that.

But its really laughable that SI have uploaded this file, which includes the match stats problem, and (have in addition) not bothered to change it out, even if they know that this file has this bug. SI's official site is lousy, and its hard to find the information one is looking for there. I hate the way they put most of the information on the forum instead of the site, I believe they do this to hide their games shortcomings for new customers.

But anyway, I tried to download the patch again, this time from thedugout.net, but that file won't run. I guess I'll have to try and figure out of that.

The other problem I've encountered is that some players seems to get ratings of 3 and 4 quite often. I played against Modena, and atleast 4-5 of their players had ratings of 3 and 4 at the end match report. Is this normal in 03/04 or is it only something I'm encountering because I downloaded the patch from the official site?

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Getting back to the game itself, a 1-1 draw against the half Romanian Spezia, (with the 3-4-1-2 tactic) and I realised that I'll have to start from scratch as that tactic wasn't working at all.

So I decided to take everything back to basics, and keep it really simple so I have a basis to work out from. I switched to a 4-4-2 diamond, and gave the players the default instructions on each position by selecting "set to preset position". I changed nothing after this, just to see how this would work out.

And it worked out really well, as we beat Varese 4-1 in the last friendly, so I decided to use the same tactic against Modena in the next match, which was the first obligatory match of the season. It was a Serie A match at home. I selected the following players:

GK: Toldo

DR: J Zanetti
DC:Cordoba
DC: Cannavaro
DL: Coco

DMC: C Zanetti

MR: Van Der Meyde
ML: Kily Gonzalez

AMC: Recoba

SC:Vieri
SC:Martins

Once again the 4-4-2 diamond worked really well, and we beat Modena 3-0. I'm assuming that with the defeault players intructions and 4-4-2, we can always beat the weaker teams, as we have better players. But if I want to get any good results in the tougher matches I'll have to work out a new tactic with its own player intrsuctions.

But like I said, by taking everything back to basic and keeping it really simple, I have a good basis to work out from, and therefore can be able to create my own tactic. I will most probably go back to a 3 back line, but I'll just have to experiment some more before being able to have a tactic that works really well. Although I have never had anything against the 4-4-2, I've always been more of a 3 back line man, with more play though the centre then the wings.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tolga, thanks for the link.

But what about the lousy match ratings players get. Is it normal that so many players gets 3s and 4s in 03/04?

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Dracula said:
Tolga, thanks for the link.

But what about the lousy match ratings players get. Is it normal that so many players gets 3s and 4s in 03/04?
If you get 1-1 draws vs. Spezia then yes. :)
Who scored for the Speziacs? And BTW I don't get that stats problem and I don't even have the second patch. :confused:

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know who scored for Spezia because of the bug, but the lousy match ratings seems to continue. And its not my players who are getting those ratings, its the opposition. 6 or even 5 would have been understandable, but 3s and 4s, thats just sick.

We played a 1-1 draw away against Siena, Cordoba got sent off though, so we might have won this one. And then we beat Austria Vienna 1-0 in the CL.

Rushfeldt got a rating of 3 and Gilewicz got a rating of 4 for their efforts in this game, both offcourse plays for Austria Vienna. But this is still annoying, and unrealistic.

These are not the only 3s and 4s though, I just checked out some other players, and Roberto Baggio got 4 in a match against Roma. Giuseppe Sculli got 2 against Juventus and Giuseppe Signori got 2 against Milan. :rolleyes:

Btw, Arrigo Sacchi is one of Roberto Baggios favoured personnel. I don't understand why they just didn't throw in Lippi there as well. :rolleyes:

I've decided to reinstall the game, and then run a patch downloaded from Cmitafiles.com, and start a new game as well.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've decided to run only the Italian league (Serie C2 to A), just to keep it really simple for now. The team is offcourse still Inter. I didn't make any transfers in the last game, so it wasn't that hard to start a new game. I will try and develop the 3-4-1-2 tactic from start, as I really wasnt that comfortable with using the 4-4-2 diamond.

I've also decided to use £ as currency, as I really find the Euro currency weird, and can't get used to using it when discussing transfers, player values etc.

The transfer budget is £14.7M, and the balance is £11.8M.

The good news are that the match stats problem doesn't seem to be there anymore, as I can see the stats of older Brescia matches (Inter-Toto matches) that were played before the game started. Also there doesn't seem to be any 3s and 4s at the moment. Hopefully it will stay like that.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
There's a patch containing the CM 03/04 EXE that should fix the statistical problems.

...and as Tolga said, the rating system seems to be a bit different. Players start with 5s, and 3s and especially 4s for average performances are not unheard of. So I suppose having players with average ratings in the high 7s or low 8s is much better than in previous versions, and low 7s are about the equivalent of high 7s in the past.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I know that ratings starts at 5 and not 6 now, but this is also annoying becuase it has always started at 6 before, and why they decided to change it to 5 is strange. I'm not sure whether I remember this correctly or not, but I believe that they started at 5 in one of the CM3 versions to, but like I said I don't remember this for sure.

But anyway, I do not have any problems with this, as it is probably done so it would be harder for players to get 7.5+ average ratings. But I do have a problem with 4, 3 and 2s being more the rule then the exception. Am I really the only one who gets annoyed by seeing players get 2s and 3s in every other match? I wouldn't have mind it, if this had been rare, but when they are given out in every other match, it just become ridiculous. Because ratings of 3 and 2 is rare in reality, just like ratings of 9s and 10s.

This only happened once to one of my players though, its mostly the oppositions, and other teams players thats gets 2s and 3s. But does this not bother you guys at all?

They are going to release a new patch, but since this is not seen as a bug, I assume this will no be fixed.

Btw I downloaded that fix, so I assume that the match stats problem will dissapear. Its really pathetic that SI didn't upload the fix to their official site though (or atleast didn't put it on the first page). I'm pretty sure I can find it on their forum. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Getting back to the game, I decided to develop the 3-4-1-2 from start of this game. I've decided to use basically the same tactic, but only with some different player instructions. I am for example using the two central defenders as man markers, and this is somehting I never did in 02/03, as I depolyed a zonal marking system back then.

We beat Serie C1 club Arezzo 3-0 in the first friendly, and then beat our Under-20s 5-0. But we had 28 shots on goal, and 18 of those were on target so 5-0 was dissapointing, considering that we basically destroyed them.

On a sidenote, it seems to be alot easier to loan out players to lower league clubs. And the feature of being able to offer players to all Serie B and Serie C1 clubs (2 divisions lower then your own) is also great.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Its hard to loan players to your club though. :rolleyes: I tried to extend some "ready loaned" players' contracts at the end of the season but they all refused. :eek:

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In 02/03 I noticed that it was almost impossible to loan players from Italian clubs, but it was quite easy to loan players from Spanish, French, German and Enlgish clubs. I have not tried to loan any players in this game yet, so I don't know how its like in 03/04, but I guess I'll find out when I manage a lower league club.

The 3-4-1-2 gave us good to ok results in the remaining friendlies, but then I played Modena in Serie A and although we had 11 shots on target we didn't manage to score a single goal, Modena didn't score neither though, so the match ended with a goal less draw.

Then we traveled to Siena and once again we were the better team on the pitch, but Siena scored a goal at the very end of the match, while we still couldn't score. So it ended with a 0-1 loss against Siena. :rolleyes:

After this I had enough of the 3-4-1-2 tactic, as I just couldn't make it work, so I went back to the 4-4-2 diamond. This turned out to be a good move, as we first beat Dinamo Tiblisi 3-0 in the CL, and then beat Sampdoria 4-0 in the league. Both matches were played at San Siro.

It seems like 4-4-2 is definitley the right way to go, so I'll stick to this tactic. I also had a look at Tims tactic (called kantspel), and it seemed to be a simple tacic (like my 3-4-1-2 is), which emphasised on wing play. Its an interesting tactic, especially since Inter has strong wingers such as Van Der Meyde and Kily Gonzalez at the club. But the 4-4-2 diamond is working well at the moment so I'll stick to that one for now.

Btw do the 4s, 3s and 2s really not bother you guys at all?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't get any 2s or 3s, sometimes there are 4s. I take that as a cue to take that player out of the team, criticise his performance, leave him out the following week and then bring him back into the side the week after. If he still doesn't get the message I put him on the transfer list, fine him 2 weeks wages and hang him from the highest window of the training ground by his genitals until he promises to improve. I'd try that if I were you...

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But its not my players who are getting those ratings, so I can't torture the players who are getting these ratings, as that would violate the unwritten rules of the jungle.

But hanging players by their genitals seems like a great punishment. That player is so lousy that you must make sure he never gets any decendants, or (in some years time) you might be stuck with his son on your team. :D

But anyway, like I said its not my players who are getting those ratings, but its still annoying as ratings of 2 and 3 is really rare in real life. No players performs that lousy. Even 4 is understandable but 2 and 3 is just sick. And it would have been something else had it been that these ratings were rare, but they seem to be rather the rule then the exception. 2s and 3s are thrown around like its the most common thing in the world.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 4-4-2 Diamond continues to work, as we beat Udinses 3-1 away. Also a youngster named Issah Eliakwu is really impressing on the U-20 team, he has scored 5 goals in 5 matches so far. But he is co owned by Reggiana.

The starting lineup is currently the same as last time:

GK: Toldo

DR: Javier Zanetti
DC: Cordoba
DC: Cannavaro
DL: Coco

DMC: Cristiano Zanetti

MR: Van Der Meyde
ML: Kily Gonzalez

AMC: Recoba

SC: Vieri
SC: Martins

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PSV beat us 2-1 in the following game, and then we played Milan. They took the lead but Martins equalised only 4 minutes later. Milan took the lead once again though, at the end of the first half. Since we were not creating that many chances, I decided to try the 4-4-2 kantspel tactic. It gave results as Martins equalised in the 87th minute, and 2-2 was also the end result.

After this we beat Brescia and Chelsea 1-0, both matches were played on away ground.

But then we played Roma at home, and the tactic stopped working, as we didn't manage to create many chances, and the match ended with a dull goal less draw. And also in the next match away against Chievo we didn't manage to create many chances, but we won nevertheless after a goal by Kallon in the 28th minute.

Since 4-4-2 kantspelt wasn't working for me, or atleast we weren't creating many chances, I decided to go back to 3-4-1-2. The problem with the 3-4-1-2 is that although we do create chances, we just don't score goals.

I decided to change a little on the tactic by focusing passing through the middle. I had never given this specific instruction before, but when I use this tactic, its through the middle that we focus passing anyway, as I have most of the balls go through the central midfielders and the attacking midfielder/forward.

We played Chelsea at home in the next match, and although we had 21 shots on goal (11 on target), we had to wait until the 90th minute before Vieri finally scored on a penalty. I just don't understand how we can miss on that many chances.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts