·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
International Friendly Preview: South Korea V England
South Korea - England | News Archive

Owen will be risked (Allsport)
05/20/2002. BACKGROUND

South Korea face England on Tuesday morning in Seogwipo in what is Sven Goran Eriksson's sides first match since they set up camp in the Far East. The England players enjoyed a relaxing week in a luxury hotel complex in Dubai before travelling to South Korea where they will play their three group matches. The first of these is against Sweden in less than two-weeks so the time for experimentation is over. However injuries will mean Eriksson is unable to field his first Choice eleven yet again so if nothing else this friendly will give the squad a chance to acclimatise to the conditions.

The Co-hosts for the World Cup still have a friendly against France to play before they face United States, Poland and Portugal in the finals themselves.

TEAM FORM

Guus Hiddink's side are proving to be a difficult team to beat and a difficult team to break down. Their 4-1 win against Scotland on Thursday was the first time they had conceded a goal in their last five internationals. The margin of the win was put down to the poor performance by Scotland but Korea deserve credit for a display that showed they are a long way from being a minnow of World football. All four goals were taken with real class and were backed up by a strong defensive performance that has kept out China, Costa Rica, Turkey, Tunisia and Finland, although only Finland and Costa Rica were beaten.

England ended a four match winless run with a 4-0 win against Paraguay last month. It followed defeats to Italy and Holland and a draw against Sweden in friendlies and a draw against Greece in the final World Cup qualifier.

TEAM NEWS

England are without Steven Gerrard and Gary Neville after injury wrecked their World Cup dreams, while Kieron Dyer is still uncertain of making the squad as he battles to prove his fitness. David Beckham and Nicky Butt both look set to play some part in Sunday's friendly against Cameroon, but are unavailable for tomorrow's match. While Martin Keown, Sol Campbell and Robbie Fowler are all doubts after they have had difficulties training in the past week.

Despite the seeming injury jinx Eriksson has vowed to field his strongest available XI for this friendly, while Michael Owen, England's captain in the absence of Beckham, has refused to treat this match any differently despite the risk.

POSSIBLE LINE UPS

South Korea: Lee Won-jae; Kim Tae-Young, Hong Myung-Bo, Choi Jin-jul; Lee Eul-yong, Lee Young-pyo, Kim Nam-il, Song Chong-gug; Ahn Jung-hwan; Seol Ki-hyeon, Choi Young-soo.

England: David Seaman; Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, Wes Brown; Owen Hargreaves, Danny Murphy, Paul Scholes, Joe Cole; Emile Heskey, Michael Owen.

soccerage

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Even though alot of our first team players won't be able to play through injury we should still win.

Koreans are brought up when they are young to think that football is sort of a non-contact sport, a player like Heskey with his strength should prove problems for them.

·
International
9,526 Posts
south Korea look a pretty handy team to me. I saw the highlights of the goals against Scotland, and every one was a cracker. All involved careful buildup, running off the ball, brilliant movement and great skill and control. Scotland were made to look ordinary (although I suppose they are going through a rebuilding phase now). Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see them do well in this cup. As for our result, no surprises if the eternal draw looms large.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Well 1-1 it finished, but I think we did enough to have won.

Any news on Hargreaves, was he ok?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
1st half England were in complete control and played very well and scored a good goal after some good build up play.
2nd half seven changes were made and Englnad looked a bit shaky and the Koreans looked the better team and deserved their equaliser.
1-1 was a fair result.
Owen Hargreaves was definately man of the match, he took a knock late on in the match which he neede to put ice on, but he is fine, there were no real injury worries.

It looks as though Dyer will not make the final 23, so Sinclair will take his place. After watching todays game I think this should be the line up agaisnt sweden.

----------------Seaman
-Mills---Campbell--Ferdinand--Cole-
--Beckham--Hargreaves--Scholes--
-------Vassel---Owen---Heskey------

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
oh my god what was I subjected to... that was so unbelievably boring that I actually switched off and failed to realise that Mills had been subbed for Brown...

The only plus points I suppose were Hargreaves and J Cole... apart from that it was just... well ****.

Special ****ness must be given to Brown and Sinclair who managed to give the ball away more times than anyone else on the field... BORING **** and if this is anything to go by England couldn't create a thing even if God himself was helping them!

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Draw isn't too bad.

Reasons why it was a draw-

New tatics
An away game
Injuries
Heat
Food (it's vile- from experience)

We started well in the first half and dominated possesion. Second half we played fairly poor.

BTW i hope we don't use this formation since we will leave too much space for Ljunberg when we play Sweden.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
plus points were that... um nobody was killed by a snipper... I'm sure that teams have bad games before the WC (hell France and Italy did) but South Korea?

What the hell happened? Surely England were not that reliant on Beckham and Gerrard?

The reasons why it was a draw may be so... and I am not saying that it was an indication of the WC but for gods sake I stayed up all night to watch that match (you have to understand that I can not wake up at 10am, it is easier hust to stay up all night:D)

Haven't been to sleep for 42 hours now though... it feels weird, like I'm drunk:)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I honestly feel that I am not me... if you know what I mean... I want to make 50 hours (that would be so cool) and then that would be it but I need the sleep!!!

GOD DAMN you pillows why do you look so good!?

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Man the longest time I have stayed up is about 22 hours I dunno how you can be up for 40 hours and you're trying to go for 50 hours :dielaugh: I would fall asleep standing up even :D

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
GOD DAMN you pillows why do you look so good!?
Wait a minute...THEY'RE NOT PILLOWS...AAAARRRGGHHHH....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts