Xtratime Community banner

Predict the outcome

1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
69,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slaven Bilic announced his squad today which will travel to Glasgow and play a tough Scotland side, which will be led by George Burley for the first time. Only 19 players were called up, with Babic and Vranjes being dropped from the squad, and Budan and Klasnic being brought in. Runje was not called up due to the request from his clubs Lens.

Goalkeepers: Stipe Pletikosa (Spartak Moscow) Mario Galinovic (Panathinaikos)
Defenders: Vedran Corluka (Manchester City) Robert Kovac (Borussia Dortmund) Josip Simunic (Hertha Berlin) Dario Simic (AC Milan) Dario Knezevic (Livorno)
Midfielders: Jerko Leko (Monaco) Danijel Pranjic (Heerenveen) Luka Modric (Dinamo Zagreb) Niko Kranjcar (Portsmouth) Darijo Srna (Shkahtar Donetsk) Niko Kovac (Red Bull Salzburg) Ivan Rakitic (Schalke 04) Ognjen Vukojevic (Dinamo Zagreb)
Forwards: Mladen Petric (Borussia Dortmund) Ivica Olic (Hamburg SV) Igor Budan (Parma FC) Ivan Klasnic (Werder Bremen)

This will be a tough test, Scotland away is no easy task and honestly, this match will determine my stance at how the team does in Euro 2008. It will be either ultra negative, or semi positive :D

About the squad itself, Bilic says he has 26 players to choose from to go to Euro 2008.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Balaban's not in the squad either. What game was the last time Balaban was with the team (either playing or on the bench) ?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
From the squad called up against Holland...Eduardo, Babic, Vranjes, Runje and Vejic are out and....Klasnic, Budan, Galinovic and Vukojevic are in.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
About time Babic got left out. The guy should have gone to Bolton when he had a chance. He would be playing in Uefa Cup now and probably getting regular football.

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
hoping to see some new faces. fining alternative game plans and alternative faces should be more important at this stage than getting the result

·
Registered
22,706 Posts
If we lose this, its going to be deja vu all over again...during our prep for the WC I think had a bad string of results leading up to it and we never got out of that until Euro qualifiers...

Hoping we also don't get any injuries...the Scots aren't exactly about clean skillful football...

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Babic out - Expected some time ago.
Vranješ out - We were all calling for it
Balaban out - No surprise

Budan in - Awesome
Klasnić in - Well done to him for the comeback!
Vukojević in - Lets see what he can do - Lately playing really well!

A very tough physical game is to be expected and if we pul out a result in Scotland we will gain our confidence back after loosing Eduardo and getting thrashed by Holland 3:0--- If we lose, heck, I dont know how I will take it!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Balaban's not in the squad either. What game was the last time Balaban was with the team (either playing or on the bench) ?
-The last time he was called up was against Izrael in Zagreb 13.10.07 ( i assum he was on the bench)
-The last time he played was against Andora when he replaced Modrić in the 46min 12.09.2007
-The last time he scored a goal was against Andora but in Zagreb 07.10.2006.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
-The last time he was called up was against Izrael in Zagreb 13.10.07 ( i assum he was on the bench)
-The last time he played was against Andora when he replaced Modrić in the 46min 12.09.2007
-The last time he scored a goal was against Andora but in Zagreb 07.10.2006.
Ah, okay. I figured he was still part of the squad towards the end of the qualifiers so I guess you could say he's been dropped now. Although, like previously mentioned, it's no surprise at all really.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
hoping to see some new faces. fining alternative game plans and alternative faces should be more important at this stage than getting the result
You wont see that Maiden.

And I agree with Marko. Without DaSilva, I am not confident at all about our attacking options. Klasnic cant seem to find his feet with the NT, and Budan hasnt really impressed either.

My apologies for being so pessimistic, but I chose a Scotland win.

·
Registered
69,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vukojevic gets a (deserved) call up. Must be because of "the Croatian media", eh guys?

yes, unfortunately. If Vukojevic was playing for the club he loved, he would never be in the NT, no matter how well he played

I wouldn't be shocked if we see Biscan soon...:yawn:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Klasnic cant seem to find his feet with the NT, and Budan hasnt really impressed either.
To be fair to Klasnic, we haven't seen him since his internal problems. Plus, Klasnic is a guy who needs ball service, I think this midfield can provide that.

For Budan, I always see his name on the scoresheet for Parma, so I'm interested in seeing him out there.

I'd rather not see Olic play in this game and see how the other 2 do with Petric.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would love to see something like this:

------------------------Pletikosa-----------------
--------Corluka---------R.Kovac-----------Simunic
------------------------N.Kovac-----------------
-----Srna--------Modric--------Kranjcar----Pranjic
------------------------Rakitic-------------------
------------------------Petric--------------------

three playmakers, two offensive wings, one finisher. Olic plays for Raki or Kranj in the second half

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Didn't Bilic say he will play Pranjic at the back?

This is a very hard match, Scotland are a very solid team especially at home.

Pletikosa
Corluka - R.Kovac - Simunic - Pranjic
Srna - N.Kovac - Modric - Kranjcar
Petric - Olic​

I think we'll play this team, Olic is in better form then Budan and Klasnic and i'd give him a start, this game is really built for Olic as we'll be looking to go on the counter attack as much as possible and Olic shred England to pieces and that is where he looks most dangerous.

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
Blaž;6178270 said:
Didn't Bilic say he will play Pranjic at the back?

This is a very hard match, Scotland are a very solid team especially at home.

Pletikosa
Corluka - R.Kovac - Simunic - Pranjic
Srna - N.Kovac - Modric - Kranjcar
Petric - Olic​

I think we'll play this team, Olic is in better form then Budan and Klasnic and i'd give him a start, this game is really built for Olic as we'll be looking to go on the counter attack as much as possible and Olic shred England to pieces and that is where he looks most dangerous.

ye i think there is a good chance thats the starting lineup u will see against scotland..i think maybe u could see rakitic get the start over kranjcar as he has not played well for the national team in his last few games..hopefully we will see alot of budan in this game as i think he could really help us as he is very strong in the air and with pranjic srna and corluka we have some good crossers of the ball..i would also like to see vukojevic get a good run in this game in niko kovac's spot..

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
The result doesn't concern me here. I'm more concerned about the way we play. I'm hoping we'll dominate possession and territory as well as create chances. If we do, chances are we'll probably win as well.

If I had to pick a change I'd like to see Simic replaced. I'm not sure whether i'd prefer a straight swap with Knezevic or whether I'd like to see Pranjic at LB and Simunic pushing in. I've never seen Pranjic play in a defensive role.

I'm also interested in seeing what sort of combinations Bilic is going to come up with in our forward line. I assume he'll play two strikers and I'm more inclined to see a runner/target pairing eg Petric/Klasnic or Olic/Budan. And while he might start with Petric/Olic, I'd be really surprised if he ended up with Klasnic and Budan on the field at the same time. And yet both guys deserve a run in this game.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Good point, he should mix and match the pairing so as not to play two target men together, that being said, Budan ran riot against the Bosniak defense from deep on many occassions, and is good at creating space for himself and unleashing that cannon in his right leg.

1 - 20 of 387 Posts