Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
International Friendly Preview: Denmark V Cameroon
Denmark - Cameroon | News Archive

Denmark prepare for World Cup send off (Allsport)
05/16/2002. BACKGROUND

Denmark host fellow World Cup qualifiers Cameroon in their last match before they set off for the Far East. Both teams will be treating the match seriously as it should be a useful exercise for each of the national coaches ahead of their tricky campaigns in the finals that are just over two weeks away now.

It seems to be a popular idea to play against nations of the same continent that you are set to meet in the forthcoming Championship, although Cameroon are hardly a similar outfit to their African neighbours Senegal, who Denmark face in their group. The Danes also meet World and European champions France and Uruguay in a tough group. Cameroon will hope Denmark will help them to prepare for their matches against Germany and the Republic of Ireland in their group. Saudi Arabia complete that Group.

Once both Cameroon and Denmark are set up in their respective camps in the Far East they will play one more friendly so this isn't the final warm up match for each nation. Cameroon meet England, while Denmark play Tunisia.

TEAM NEWS

Denmark only have one doubt for their match against the reigning Olympic and African Champions and that is star striker Ebbe Sand. The Schalke 04's frontman isn't a serious doubt, but Morten Olsen will not be prepared to risk him. Either Rangers' Peter Lovenkrands or Brondby's Peter Madsen will fill the lone striker role in Sand's absence. Both players are in form and in demand and will be eager for a chance to impress Olsen and possible earn a starting berth at the World Cup. AC Milan defender Martin Laursen is available after dismissing reports that he could miss the World Cup earlier this week.

POSSIBLE STARTING XI

Denmark: (4-5-1) - Sorensen - Heintze, Henriksen, Laursen, Helveg - Jorgensen, Tofting, Gravesen, Tomasson, Gronkjaer - Lovenkrands.

Cameroon (4-4-2) - Goalkeepers: Kameni - Song, Wome, Dika, Tchuisse - Foe, Lauren, Olembe, Geremi - Eto'o Mboma.

soccerage

·
Rising Star & XCC Winner 2002
868 Posts
Denmark won this game 2-1 and that is just about the best thing there is to say.

I don't feel like making any kind of match report because I really don't rate this game at all. The most important thing was that the crowd got to say goodbye to Heintze who will end his international carreer after the WC.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Sometimes I kind of don't care about how our beloved NT does it. After the match against Cameroon I felt something like that. It was a very boring match without any glow. A reason for that could be the fact, that it was a friendly, but still. Another reason for my 'feelings' could be the fact that I had experienced an amazing night the night before:D.
Don't give me wrong. I love my NT, the way you love an NT and not more. It's some kind of national feeling, which affects your way of 'support' for the certain NT. It's also that feeling you feel in a WC. National pride:).
But my feelings for the NT will never be the same as the ones I have for Brøndby, for instance. Brøndby is so much 'closer' to me than the NT ever will be. Maybe that's because you follow your favourite club in a different way, than you do with your NT. Well I don't know:confused:. A fact is, that I have never been so impressed of our NT. I have also only attended one NT-match ever (Denmark-Czech Rep 2-1). It really doesn't matter wether you see it in the telly or at the stadium. Although it was a good experience in Parken for that match, it'll never be the same as attending a match on Faxe at Brøndby Stadion. From my point of view, of course;)!

As for the WC. I of course can't wait for the World Cup to begin. It'll for sure be an amazing one and I'm sure we'll do fine. It's always something special with a World Cup, and I'll for sure be supporting the red and white:). I also hope Peter Madsen will score a goal or two:hopefull:!

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
What gave me the biggest headache was that we weren't able to dominate a game where Cameroun virtually fielded a B-team and that Gravesen and Tøfting pretty much sucked. If we want any hope of achieving any success those two need to get into top form.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well I couldn't see wether there was any penalty or not from where I was standing. It was an ok game to attend, and afterwards Danes and Africans were dancing together in the streets :). Very nice I think, especially that noone carried a grudge for loosing, even if the Africans had deserved more.

Let me give you all a warning if you want to see a NT game. I've seen a couple now, and I've found out the place you want to stand is the B-tribune. I was standing on the C-stand this time, and though I was determined to stand up, which every selfrespecting footy fan would :strong: :D, I quickly got my mind changed as several people got tottaly pissed off at me as they wanted to sit down. Damn :mad:. Anyway, I sang my loungs out, I couldn't talk afterwards :eekani: :mute:. Not many people did where I stood.

Fred, I feel very strongly about the NT unlike you it seems :). However, I also feel stronger about FCK than I do about the NT. For example I would rather see FC København win the UEFA cup or CL than I would see Denmark become World Champions :eek:. But the feeling you're carrying under a worldcup is undescrivable.

Daniel

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
DBOY said:
Let me give you all a warning if you want to see a NT game. I've seen a couple now, and I've found out the place you want to stand is the B-tribune. I was standing on the C-stand this time, and though I was determined to stand up, which every selfrespecting footy fan would :strong: :D, I quickly got my mind changed as several people got tottaly pissed off at me as they wanted to sit down. Damn :mad:. Anyway, I sang my loungs out, I couldn't talk afterwards :eekani: :mute:. Not many people did where I stood.
Yep the B-tribune is the Danish roligans' 'Faxe' or in your case 'Nedre C';)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts