Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few seasons, I have noticed an interesting trend in Serie A and I think its brought about primarily because of the big clubs unwillingness to spend money on the transfer market.

The big clubs in Serie A have been buying the old or reject former stars from the big clubs in England and Spain....while developing their own talent. It seems that the Italian teams are re-shaping themselves and the true benefit will not be seen until after 3 or possibly 4 years.

Lets look at some examples:

Milan:

Bought Schevchenko, Ronaldinho, Sanderos, Beckham, and Emerson. Bought players like Vieri and Ronaldo in the recent past.

But they bought Pato and Kaka at cheap prices when they were not really well known. You now see Antonini and Bonera as frequent starting players in the line-up.

That is, Milan never buys players in their prime - 80% of the time, they are former stars and 20% of the time they buy 18 year old Brazilians.

Inter:

Haven't bought many recently except Muntari, Mancini and Quaresma. Only Muntari has not been a flop.

Santon and Balotelli are their up and coming stars and they are home grown. Ibrahimovic and Maicon are their only big stars in their prime...most are past their prime or in some cases years away from it.

Roma:

Bought Arsenal and Real Madrid flop Baptista and madrid flop Cicinho.

But they have developed De Rossi, Acquilani and Motta in house.

Juventus:

Bought Aston Villa's Mellberg, Chelsea flop Tiago, Paulsen etc......predominately 2nd rate players. But they bought Amauri.

But they developed: Molinaro, De Ceglie, Marchisio, Giovinco, and Chiellini.

Probably won't succeed at getting Diego and will settle for Deco - yet another star of the past.

So.....Serie A is going to end up with an Ajax style of team soon (as the old generation retire over the next few years)...and they may probably win a champions league in one season. Then Chelsea, ManU, Liverpool etc will buy the top players and they will be in ruins again.

What Serie A needs are some rich foreign owners. Its amazing at the downward spiral in Serie A. I remember when Thuram, Cannavaro, Buffon, Chiesa, Crespo, and Sensini played for Parma. I remember when Rui Costa, Batistuta, and Edmundo played for Fiorentina. When Mancini, Vieri, Nesta, Nedved, Stankovic, Almeyda, etc played for Lazio. And they were ALL in their prime.

Most of the prime stars play in the EPL at the moment. I can only hope that these home grown Italian talents are truly special when they hit their prime and when all the old stars retire.

Great for the National Team, not so good for the Champions League.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Well first of all, there are a few concepts thrown in all in one pile, so let's sort them out first:

1. Time of purchase/transfer - this characteristic is pretty clear
2. "Big Stars" - not a well defined term
3. Prime - not well defined either, but more clear than what is a star

As for buying players during their prime, Chivu, Quaresma, Suazo and Ibrahimovic were purchased during their Prime. Mancini and Fabio Grosso was slightly after prime, Maicon and Muntari were transferred slightly before prime.

As for which of them are considered "big stars" that's a bit of an issue. I would consider Quaresma, Chivu, Ibrahimovic, and Grosso to be international-stage star players. Suazo was on the level of Amauri in term of starpower before transferring.

So Inter do buy players during their prime, stars or not stars. Since 2006, the only oldies that Inter have transferred in with the intention of having them as starters are Crespo and Vieira. This balances out with having two new young players (Santon and Balotelli).

·
Banned
3,899 Posts
Muntari hasnt been a flop :howler:?

Atleast 80% of his performances have been very bad.

He is only playing because Mourinho is into ebony.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
For being 17 Pato did cost quite a lot

·
Registered
46,792 Posts
He is only playing because Mourinho is into ebony.
:eek:

I prefer Naomi Campbell or Ainett Stephens...

Terrible thread anyway. Catenaccio's theories are always from "forced" to dumb. The fact is that there are old players, young players and intermediate age players in every club.
Antonini, mentioned by Catenaccio, is almost 27. According to Catenaccio he is probably too young... or too old!

So.....Serie A is going to end up with an Ajax style of team soon (as the old generation retire over the next few years)...and they may probably win a champions league in one season. Then Chelsea, ManU, Liverpool etc will buy the top players and they will be in ruins again.
the dumbest part of the theory. Why should an Italian club win a Champions League in one year by going Ajax style, but above all: why should they be in ruin again if the Ajax style has produced a Champions League! :eek:

And the nostalgia of the 90s... get over it, please. Premierleague is better, stronger, richer... a bit of glory for everyone!

PS Mancini "in his prime" has been a player of Sampdoria (for 15 years)

·
Registered
46,069 Posts
Inter applied the policy of buying stars thought to be past their primes or not wanted at all by their former clubs to great effect. Aside from players already mentioned, we also bought Figo and Dacourt. Real inexplicably felt they had no need for Cambiasso and we got him too. :proud:

And we did extremely well. Inevitably, the older players we signed, well, became too old to play at the same high level. And that's where we are now, with Crespo and Vieira.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Stating the obvious, much?`Yes

Late with the topics? Yes

Using bandwitdh for nothing? Yes

As is this post but I hope this served a purpose!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts