Who will qualify?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
68,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The matchups for the two intercontinental playoff rounds are now known after the completion of both South American and North American qualifying rounds.

MEXICO vs. NEW ZEALAND
JORDAN vs. URUGUAY

Must be said, two uneven matchups on paper but in playoffs you never know.

Uruguay missed out on automatic qualification on goal difference and like in 2010 will need a playoff where they face AFC surprise package Jordan, who achieved so far their best ever results in World Cup qualifying.

Mexico are heavy favorites against New Zealand but their form is atrocious, winning only 2 of 10 CONCACAF matches, though I'm sure New Zealand aren't happy to face Mexico and were expecting somebody else. Also, New Zealand has played many friendly matches against CONCACAF teams and hasn't done well (loss at home to Jamaica, draws against Trinidad-Tobago and El Salvador, but they did beat Honduras in the USA)

I personally don't seen any upsets, New Zealand has a better chance than Jordan though imo

·
Fourth Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
4,820 Posts
I feel it will be mexico and uru.

But as mexico and uru of same area, the match shoud be

Mexico shoud play verses uru and newzeland verses jordan.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
I feel it will be mexico and uru.

But as mexico and uru of same area, the match shoud be

Mexico shoud play verses uru and newzeland verses jordan.
Mexico and Uruguay are not in the same "area". Mexico is in Central America (CONCACAF) and Uruguay is in South America (CONMEBOL).

In fact if anything should change would be the fact that North and Central America have too many spots and don't deserve more than three. That fifth place should be automatically given to South America. I also think that the Oceanian confederation should merge with the Asian and both should get 4 places. A more fair distribution should look like this:

Europe: 13 + play-off with Africa for one place
Africa: 5 + play-off with Europe for one place
South America: 5 places
North and Central America: 3 places
Asia and Oceania: 4 places
Organising country: 1 place

·
The Parameter
4,309 Posts
I think the All-Whites are gonna kick Mexican ass come November. :proud: Would be a great middle-finger to the direction of FIFA and their qualification system.

So what's wrong with Mexico, anyway? How can they suck so much? :confused:

Mexico and Uruguay are not in the same "area". Mexico is in Central America (CONCACAF) and Uruguay is in South America (CONMEBOL).

In fact if anything should change would be the fact that North and Central America have too many spots and don't deserve more than three. That fifth place should be automatically given to South America. I also think that the Oceanian confederation should merge with the Asian and both should get 4 places. A more fair distribution should look like this:

Europe: 13 + play-off with Africa for one place
Africa: 5 + play-off with Europe for one place
South America: 5 places
North and Central America: 3 places
Asia and Oceania: 4 places
Organising country: 1 place
Here's how I'd do it:
Europe: 16 spots
America: 8 spots with combined qualifiers
Africa: 5 spots
Asia: 3 spots
(maybe have the last two play off for one spot).

This would make seeding much easier, and is a more accurate representations of the true power level.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Talking of play offs when is the European draw?

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
No matter how shit Mexico are these days, they are still miles better than New Zealand. They'll cruise to an easy 4-0 aggregate.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
I think the All-Whites are gonna kick Mexican ass come November. :proud: Would be a great middle-finger to the direction of FIFA and their qualification system.

So what's wrong with Mexico, anyway? How can they suck so much? :confused:

Here's how I'd do it:
Europe: 16 spots
America: 8 spots with combined qualifiers
Africa: 5 spots
Asia: 3 spots
(maybe have the last two play off for one spot).

This would make seeding much easier, and is a more accurate representations of the true power level.
Could we not just have like 26 European teams, 2 S.American teams, 1 Asian, 1 African, 1 N.American & 1 Oceanian/Antartica playoff winner

·
Registered
68,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mexico will actually have an "unofficial" friendly match to prep for New Zealand. They will face a Finnish domestic based side on October 30 in San Diego but Mexico can only call on domestic players as well. Herrera has called a CF America heavy squad which is why this Finland match has been dubbed "America vs. Finland" :D

Mexico will actually begin preparations already tomorrow until their European players arrive in November.

·
The Parameter
4,309 Posts
Mexico will actually have an "unofficial" friendly match to prep for New Zealand. They will face a Finnish domestic based side on October 30 in San Diego but Mexico can only call on domestic players as well. Herrera has called a CF America heavy squad which is why this Finland match has been dubbed "America vs. Finland" :D

Mexico will actually begin preparations already tomorrow until their European players arrive in November.
In truth, it should be dubbed America vs. HJK, then. Will be an interesting measurement of quality. :thmbup: Unfortunately, Finland being what it is footballing-wise, I don't think they'll be showing this game on the telly. :doh:

·
Registered
68,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mexico play Finland today but there is news coming out today that Panama (team who missed out on this playoff) will appeal because they feel Christian 'Chaco' Gimenez was not eligible to play for Mexico. Mexico in this campaign naturalized a couple of Argentine players who played a long time in Mexico, but with Gimenez he was called up to the Argentina senior team under Maradona (but did not play) and Panama believe that he needed to file a "one time switch" with FIFA despite not playing for Argentina

Interesting development :D

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The CONCACAF qualifying is ridiculous that Mexico can get two wins and still get a playoff. What a joke of a zone.

·
The Parameter
4,309 Posts
At least America is still better than HJK.

I0wYEWa_gdQ

Check out the Finnish #7 Väyrynen goon the f'k out of Rafa in the 2nd Finnish goal. He was also great against the NHL-stars of England U-21. Kid's gonna be huge (by Finnish standards).

nnnggooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

·
Registered
68,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The game was late so only caught the first half, Mexico were much better team but Finland had a very inexperienced team out there minus Forssell. Finland's first goal was their first real chance. Mexico played 3 at the back.

Panama's appeal has been thrown out by FIFA, looks like it was a mighty reach by them but at least they tried :D

Mexico is considering to sticking with an all domestic squad for the playoffs, they may not call up any of their Euro players

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Could we not just have like 26 European teams, 2 S.American teams, 1 Asian, 1 African, 1 N.American & 1 Oceanian/Antartica playoff winner
The best way would be to pool off the playoff teams all to together and then draw them out. Something like this.

Direct
1 - Host Nation
13 - Europe
2 - North America
4 - South America
3 - Africa
2 - Asia
=25 direct spots

Then Playoff births:
4 - Europe
2 - North America
2 - South America
3 - Africa
2 - Asia
1 - Oceanic
=14 playoff births that lead to 7 last entries. Draw them out no continent faces each other.

Then whoever's earn the extra spots gets them.

·
MVP
8,980 Posts
Reporting live from the Middle East...HUGE excitement surrounding Jordan-Uruguay tonight.

Luis Suarez Facebook page is full of Jordanian fans trolling him in Arabic.

The fans have actually gone as far as to researching each players' mother's names so that they create chant insults. No point posting them here, as nobody will understand, but I have to admit they're quite creative :D

I think Uruguay will face a lot of physical resistance from Jordan players. Jordan's #1 Keeper is out and believe me is one hell of a keeper. A lot of pressure is on the substitute keeper to perform well.

I predict a slim victory in Amman by Uruguay. Probably 2-1. Yes I believe the Jordanians will score...they're at home with more than 25,000 tickets sold even though the stadium fits 25,000!!! :howler: Arabs.....:drunk: :proud:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
FIFA WORLD CUP
BRAZIL 2014

INTERCONTINENTAL PLAY-OFFS

First Leg

Wednesday, 13 November 2013

International Stadium, Amman, 16:00 CET
JORDAN vs URUGUAY

Estádio Azteca, Ciudad de México, 21:30 CET
MEXICO vs NEW ZEALAND