·
Registered
67,321 Posts
Tbf to Conte we did score a lot of goals in his time here

·
Registered
67,321 Posts
Surely Red's sin is far greater.

You can go see movies any time. I have no impact on the scheduling of my football matches and I can't just leave my bros hanging when they depend on me.

This should be put up for a vote IMHO.
Fair point.

It's even worse that he did that sacrifice for a guy ffs. :D

·
Registered
67,321 Posts
Btw we barely created in second half compared to first, don't remember chances aside from the Dzeko goals and a late Sensi strike. More clinical and less creative but at 2-0 up there was no big need for more goals obviously

·
Registered
19,267 Posts
Looks like we won't see red post if/when he gets married haha.
'if'

Don't like the idea of marriage.... seen too many divorces in my time. 2 of my best friends are divorced. Much messier than those who simply broke up after 7/8 years

·
Registered
47,970 Posts
I've honestly never seen an Inter team that creates this many chances. Never. Not Mancini's, not Mou's and certainly not Conte's teams.

Crazy and unpredictable football at times.

Pity we don't have a clinical finisher a la Milito or Lukaku to finish off these moves.

A lot of chances tonight were created from Gegen-pressing (as Klopp and Germans in general call it)
I think it's important to give Inzaghi credit (up to this point) for what he's done with the team. It's an inherited team from Conte (who in turn could rely on the backbone formed by Spalletti). But Inzaghi has now managed to achieve a good balance between attack and defence where we can create a large number of chances and not get torn to shreds on counters...in the league, at least. Let's not forget that Conte tried to reach the same balance in the Scudetto season but it didn't work out at all...the high line turned out to be defensive suicide and we had to abandon it (even though we created a lot and scored a lot). He's created a system which respects and retains our counter-attacking DNA while bringing in his own DNA into the equation. In the end, we tend to get a bit of our Pazza Inter DNA too, but let's leave this aside.

Inzaghi also deserves credit for addressing problems as they arise. There are no big announcements of this each time but you can see that the issues have been studied and worked on. The leaky, disorganised defence at the start of the season and the disconnect between defence and midfield are issues that haven't stayed as they were. He's not a stubborn coach who insists on his way even when it clearly isn't working. This is something I respect tremendously.

This isn't a post to crown him or to say he's the best ever or anything like hat...it's just to say that, thus far, he has done many very good things and he should be recognised for it. While we're at it, we should also recognise Marotta once again...I said he was one of our MVPs if not THE MVP of last season and he was clearly the MVP of our transfer campaign.

·
Registered
47,970 Posts
Btw we barely created in second half compared to first, don't remember chances aside from the Dzeko goals and a late Sensi strike. More clinical and less creative but at 2-0 up there was no big need for more goals obviously
It was weird to watch Shakhtar after our 2nd goal. The first goal already had them shell-shocked...the 2nd sent them into some astral plane or something. Their circuits were fried and they'd totally given up.

They were just going through the motions. I was asking myself, "Dude, do you guys even know us? One goal and Hans Zimmerman will pop out to score the rest of the match...we're absolute suckers for late game drama".

Their hopes and dreams clearly flashed before their eyes when the 2nd goal was scored. They padded their possession stats and that just helped us. We could and probably should have had a 3rd goal without reply. Frog came very close. When you think about the entire game, it could easily have been another 5-0. They were saved by a number of close calls. I'm not so sure Lautaro's goal ought to have been disallowed either.

·
Registered
67,321 Posts
Nah Lautaro did push the Shakhtar player, no complaint when I saw a clear replay.

·
Registered
19,267 Posts

·
Registered
19,267 Posts
I also see that there's a lot of people clamouring for Perisic's renewal on Twitter/FB/in the media

I think this is a bad idea.

I also don't think he will renew, so it's a bit of a moot point, but my guess is he is playing this well to attract suitors for a big free transfer (to a good PL club) with a big signing-on bonus.

If he re-signs I think his motivation levels and performances will drop (as is often the case with players who sign new contracts after protracted will they/won't they sagas, see: Abaumeyang, Lautaro).

I say get Kostic. He is 3.5 years younger, has lots to prove and provides insane amounts of assists. Dimarco isn't good enough IMO.

·
Registered
47,970 Posts
Btw, need to give credit to Hakan for another good performance. Stepped up on a day where Barella wasn't quite on it.

As for Lautaro, even on days where he doesn't score (still think he should have had a goal, btw), he almost always does enough toiling to make up for it. Btw, watch his celebration after Dzeko scored!

·
Registered
19,267 Posts
As for Lautaro, even on days where he doesn't score (still think he should have had a goal, btw), he almost always does enough toiling to make up for it. Btw, watch his celebration after Dzeko scored!
He has had a serious Jekyll/Hyde season. Frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
19,267 Posts

·
Registered
67,321 Posts
If toro's push was worth a foul then there are 2 penalties in the game not given to Inter.
Lautaro being dramatic in his falls and falling under small contact doesn't help his cause. Anyhow overall in the 5 CL games we played I am happy with the officiating even when we dropped points

Last season though was a refereeing disgrace in the CL.

·
Registered
67,321 Posts
I also see that there's a lot of people clamouring for Perisic's renewal on Twitter/FB/in the media

I think this is a bad idea.

I also don't think he will renew, so it's a bit of a moot point, but my guess is he is playing this well to attract suitors for a big free transfer (to a good PL club) with a big signing-on bonus.

If he re-signs I think his motivation levels and performances will drop (as is often the case with players who sign new contracts after protracted will they/won't they sagas, see: Abaumeyang, Lautaro).

I say get Kostic. He is 3.5 years younger, has lots to prove and provides insane amounts of assists. Dimarco isn't good enough IMO.
It's funny to see people suddenly rating/praising Perisic, dude has generally been a pretty good player for us for years.

I say renew Perisic for a year and get Kostic. Dimarco can be backup lcb for Bastoni not just lwb option.

Though if Perisic gets an offer from the Premiership he would fancy that, playing in Italy, Germany and England would be nice for his career. So imo it depends on him, and no one can blame him if he wants a new challenge.

·
Registered
67,321 Posts
Yes it was our worst season compared to the Mancini seasons, Mourinho seasons and then Rafa-Leonardo season... but we had worse seasons than 11-12 afterwards... 12-13 (9th), 14-15 (8th), 16-17 (7th)...

I still remember the fuckup of Chivu at Velodrome allowing Ayew to score and Lucio howler in Milano... 2 costly mistakes cost us qualification, also Mandanda was quite good in goal. That OM side was beaten twice by eventual runners up Bayern (Bayern were better than Chelsea in the final but that's football..)

·
Registered
67,321 Posts
Outerwear Photograph Shirt Muscle Blue

Forza Inzaghi. First target of the season achieved.

·
Registered
47,970 Posts
It's funny to see people suddenly rating/praising Perisic, dude has generally been a pretty good player for us for years.

I say renew Perisic for a year and get Kostic. Dimarco can be backup lcb for Bastoni not just lwb option.

Though if Perisic gets an offer from the Premiership he would fancy that, playing in Italy, Germany and England would be nice for his career. So imo it depends on him, and no one can blame him if he wants a new challenge.
You're right...but it's obvious why people will praise him now...his performances have been at an All-Time level. There have been different iterations of Perisic. The Destroyer was when he was at his physical peak and where his trademark was bursting down the flank and scoring with a deft strike...untouchable. Post-WC 18, there was a drop-off in form while there were indications from him of a clear preference to play more as a striker. The slight drop-off in pace also meant he had to look to reinvent his game somewhat. Conte decided to turn him into a WB, which appears to be something he wasn't too excited about. But he's a professional and set out to do his job. Since then, he's gone from strength to strength and it looks like he's really embraced the position. It's not like he never had defensive chops though...like I've said a couple of years or so ago, he has the toolkit for it (also shown with the NT). The question then was whether he would assume the dedicated role over 90 mins. It's only this season that you can really see he feels the rush from defensive cover...let's hope he starts wildly celebrating tackles like Skriniar and Bastoni. 😁

Reactions: Ante
161 - 178 of 178 Posts