Xtratime Community banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
59,120 Posts
Is it just me or does Eriksen disappear?

Could be fitness.

His first half pass to Lukaku where Rom hit the post with a header, would like to see more playmaking like that.

Anyhow when you hit the goal frame a couple of times it's not your day..

·
Registered
59,120 Posts
10 draws this season so far

Too many

4 losses is acceptable overall in a league season (Treble winning side lost 4 league games), but half of those draws this season had to be wins tbh.

·
Registered
59,120 Posts
red will be mad when he reads this :D

Meanwhile, Atalanta have leapfrogged Inter into second place.

Conte

“Second place is meaningless in my eyes, it’s just first for losers,” noted Conte. “Some settle for that, but not me. I don’t want my players to settle for that either.”

---

Well I am still trying to find a source for how much money is granted to those who finish 2nd, 3rd and 4th in Serie A. May be a native Italian like @ToniSamp can help out.

But on a sporting level, indeed I don't see much of a difference between those 3 positions. If 4th only led to a CL playoff/qualifier and 2nd meant direct CL entry then yeah..I would have cared more about finishing second.

Reactions: Firdaus

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
First off, 4th doesn't actually guarantee CL this season because Napoli and Roma could both qualify if they win CL/EL respectively. Max. 5 teams are allowed into CL from one league. Granted it is astoundingly, mind-bendingly unlikely that both teams win their competition (one in a million shot), but you never know.

Secondly, what the hell is the point in hiring Conte if he gets us the exact same league finish as last season? It just means a waste of 20+ million (Conte's wages for a year and Spaletti's huge severance package).

If someone asked me ahead of this season: 'Hey, you can spend an extra 20 + million on Conte to finish 4th again - how about it' my answer would have been 'f××k right off'.

Indeed, the only reason CL qualification has been an easier ride this season is because Napoli , Roma and Milan have been abysmal for most of the season.

Assuming we get 4 or 6 points from the next 3 games, the team will finish 8 or 10 points higher than Spaletti's last Inter in an arguably weaker Serie A (since Milan, Napoli and Roma were largely terrible this season). For me that is a really minimal improvement.

Anyway, the broader context is that Conte's tactical system already looks like horribly out of date 2010's football. Added to that is the mental or physical weakness of players like Lukaku and Sensi, who should be leaders in big games but who instead spend the important matches missing sitters or on the treatment table.

Tonali, Hakimi and Palmieri will not turn this team into Scudetto winners.

In an alternate reality where players like Kante and Partey are available and affordable (spoiler alert: they aren't), I still don't see their signings getting the Pazza Delivery Boys over the line to win Serie A.

I think next season will another top 4 at best. We need a coach with proper Inter DNA to win. Hopefully the club lines up Simeone for 2021/22.

·
Registered
46,132 Posts
Anyway, the broader context is that Conte's tactical system already looks like horribly out of date 2010's football.
2010's football? You wish you could play like Sacchi's Milan and those were the late 80s.
The problem is that Conte relies on the "give the ball to Lukaku" which works as long as Lukaku manages to make something with the ball. At least Sarri has the "give the ball to Dybala or CR7". Right now even Milan has a better plan, since "give the ball to Ibrahimovic" is surely a better plan.

·
Registered
46,132 Posts
Well I am still trying to find a source for how much money is granted to those who finish 2nd, 3rd and 4th in Serie A. May be a native Italian like @ToniSamp can help out.

But on a sporting level, indeed I don't see much of a difference between those 3 positions. If 4th only led to a CL playoff/qualifier and 2nd meant direct CL entry then yeah..I would have cared more about finishing second.
Augh!

I just found this one, which refers to the past season.

I somehow think that the 10 million thing is a myth as the situation should not be exaggeratedly different but I don't hink it makes a real difference for Inter anyway as we are not talking about a minor club and 10 million euros do not really change the scenario.

2nd or 4th would make a difference to me instead and to most of supporters (who are not accountants...)! Conte is the same guy who talked about "10-euros restaurant" when refering to Juventus. He should pay someone that helps him in the communication. Yeah, maybe a staff of communicators could help him indeed. And maybe he could manage to make Inter pay them too.

·
Registered
59,120 Posts
Napoli will exit CL against Barca and Roma will exit EL against Sevilla. Sure football can be mad and unpredictable at times but that scenario of Napoli and Roma winning CL and EL respectively won't materialize. And in any case, 3rd is quite possible because we would still be 3rd when Lazio beat Cagliari tonight and they have Verona and Napoli away, we also have hth advantage so would finish 3rd if we are level on points with Lazio.

Did Mancini or Mourinho have an Inter past/DNA? No.

I like Simeone though and IF Conte doesn't win anything 2 seasons running with Inter then yeah, replace him with Cholo for 21-22 so I agree with you in that part, red.

Unfortunately a lot of points were lost by dumb mistakes from players and (6 points by refs), not absolving Conte because he trains and picks the players so obviously he shares some blame when points are dropped especially when so many were dropped with Inter ahead.

Conte didn't sign a 1 year deal at Inter though. For his first season making CL in a more comfortable manner, with 4 matches to spare, is progress compared to barely making CL in the last 10 minutes.

Let's not get arrogant and pretend making CL is a guarantee or easy because it certainly wasn't before this season. And were Milan and Roma amazing the last 2 seasons? Don't think so.

But really, I would get no satisfaction or pride whatsoever for finishing 2nd so I understand what Conte is saying.

For instance, I would prefer finishing 4th and winning Coppa Italia to a season of finishing 2nd and winning nothing.

As for last night, even you wrote that we should have scored 4 goals in the first hour, imo fatigue affected the rest of the game.

Suning bought Eriksen and Hakimi so Partey or Kante is not an impossible transfer

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
Conte was not saying 2nd is the same as 4th.

He just said that he doesn't take pride in finishing behind the first place team.

Being the 2nd best team in Italy behind one of the strongest* (*squad-depth-wise) Juventus teams in history is no shame.

Being the 4th best team in Italy behind 2 teams who have a fraction of the budget of Inter (Lazio and Atalanta) is IMO shameful in a season where we spent 200 million euros and signed what were apparently some of the best talents in Europe (Lukaku, Barella, Sensi, Eriksen, Godin).

There is really no excuse.

What probably f**ked up our season was a combination of wing backs who can't defend (Candreva and Biraghi), poor finishing (Lukaku), Sensi being totally decrepit at the age of 24, a lack of depth in striking positions (Snachez injured for 1/2 the season, Esposito rarely used), Lautaro deciding he wants to be a Barca player as far back as February/March, Conte refusing to alter his stupidly rigid system, Eriksen not being suited to Conte-ball, Skriniar and Godin being only decent/average/poor in the LCB/RCB positions and a bed-sh*tting team mentality when it comes to holding on to leads.

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
Only solution to the above (that I can see) is to sign a hell of a lot of new players.

• A new proven DM or very strong and aggressive 2-way mid (I agree with Ahmed that it is necessary - for me Vidal would do fine here)
  • Lautaro's replacement + another experienced striker to back up Lukaku (like Giroud or Mandzukic)
  • A new LWB. Palmieri is not good enough IMO. I would keep Young and Biraghi and sign Alonso/Kostic. Spinazzola should have been signed back in January.
  • Kumbulla
  • Tonali
So that's 6 new players

A big overhaul

·
Registered
46,132 Posts
Conte was not saying 2nd is the same as 4th.

He just said that he doesn't take pride in finishing behind the first place team.

Being the 2nd best team in Italy behind one of the strongest* (*squad-depth-wise) Juventus teams in history is no shame.
He said "2nd... 3rd... 4th... the second is the first of the losers". "Reaching the 2nd posistion doesn't change my life. And it is right that it doesn't change my life". Ok, it doesn't change anyone's life but the supporters might prefer the 2nd spot nevertheless and I suppose Conte is not paid for changing his own life anyway.

One of the strongest Juventus teams in history? Depth-wise? Are you serious? They have CR7, Dybala and what else exactly?
A goalie who is worse than Buffon and Buffon himself who is not nearly what he is used to be, an injured Chiellini, a healthy Bonucci who is is the most unreliable of the BBC, volleyball player I have yet to justify the cost De Ligt, Calamity Rugani, an injured Demiral (the new Iuliano, could be useful for fouling and getting away with it, when healthy, I concede it) three average side backs (one injured) and an adapted Cuadrado, who is excellent at many things but defending, the worst midfield of the 9 which won the scudetti, with I'm-out Pjanic, Betancurt and Rabiot, which are both good ok, then what exactly? Ramsey, Bernardeschi have been two flops, Matuidi is one like many. Douglas Costa has been injured for most of his life. In attack they have the same Higuain Chelsea and Milan weren't eager to keep... and it's over! No, wait, they also have a coach who has completely failed to make them play like a team. A bit like Conte.
So you have 2 teams who were clealry better than the rest, but not really two of the best ever, no fucking way, two coaches who failed to make these teams play properly to the point that two other teams NOT NEARLY COMPARABLE for a moment had a "dream".

·
Registered
59,120 Posts
Inter lose De Vrij for Genoa
Football Italia

Inter must make do without Stefan de Vrij against Genoa after the defender suffered a knee sprain.

De Vrij made an early exit from the 0-0 draw with Fiorentina but, as per Gazzetta dello Sport, tests showed the Dutchman sustained only a ‘slight sprain’ to his knee.

Therefore, while he will miss Inter’s trip to Genoa on Saturday, he should be back to face Serie A rivals Napoli next week.

The 28-year-old has been a virtual ever-present for the Nerazzurri this season, making 40 appearances in all competitions.

---

Slight sprain, good. No point rushing him against Napoli, the most important game is Getafe on August 5th.

·
Registered
59,120 Posts
Only solution to the above (that I can see) is to sign a hell of a lot of new players.

• A new proven DM or very strong and aggressive 2-way mid (I agree with Ahmed that it is necessary - for me Vidal would do fine here)
  • Lautaro's replacement + another experienced striker to back up Lukaku (like Giroud or Mandzukic)
  • A new LWB. Palmieri is not good enough IMO. I would keep Young and Biraghi and sign Alonso/Kostic. Spinazzola should have been signed back in January.
  • Kumbulla
  • Tonali
So that's 6 new players

A big overhaul
After the daft mistake Spinazzola made against Moses I am glad we dodged that bullet. I don't think it's a coincidence that juve let go of him and then Roma were also happy to let go of him.

·
Registered
59,120 Posts

Oh well..

A simple pass to Alexis and it's 1-0

Angle not easy for Lukaku and on his right foot.

·
Greta joke sharer
23,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah, a pass to the center would have been a certain goal. We have too many players who make shitty decisions at decisive moments.

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
He said "2nd... 3rd... 4th... the second is the first of the losers". "Reaching the 2nd posistion doesn't change my life. And it is right that it doesn't change my life". Ok, it doesn't change anyone's life but the supporters might prefer the 2nd spot nevertheless and I suppose Conte is not paid for changing his own life anyway.

One of the strongest Juventus teams in history? Depth-wise? Are you serious? They have CR7, Dybala and what else exactly?
A goalie who is worse than Buffon and Buffon himself who is not nearly what he is used to be, an injured Chiellini, a healthy Bonucci who is is the most unreliable of the BBC, volleyball player I have yet to justify the cost De Ligt, Calamity Rugani, an injured Demiral (the new Iuliano, could be useful for fouling and getting away with it, when healthy, I concede it) three average side backs (one injured) and an adapted Cuadrado, who is excellent at many things but defending, the worst midfield of the 9 which won the scudetti, with I'm-out Pjanic, Betancurt and Rabiot, which are both good ok, then what exactly? Ramsey, Bernardeschi have been two flops, Matuidi is one like many. Douglas Costa has been injured for most of his life. In attack they have the same Higuain Chelsea and Milan weren't eager to keep... and it's over! No, wait, they also have a coach who has completely failed to make them play like a team. A bit like Conte.
So you have 2 teams who were clealry better than the rest, but not really two of the best ever, no fucking way, two coaches who failed to make these teams play properly to the point that two other teams NOT NEARLY COMPARABLE for a moment had a "dream".
Fair enough, I'm probably exaggerating the quality, but in terms of sheer numbers of very good/good/decent players Juve can put out it is pretty hard-core. Their 2nd string team is easily a match for the best Inter team in 10 years.

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
But honestly Toni, what was Juve's 2nd string team in 1994/95?? :rolleyes:

Sure they had the 4 top class strikers but then.... Rampulla, Carrera, Tacchinardi, Sorin, Marocchi, Porrini, Fusi, Orlando.....

FFS

·
Registered
59,120 Posts
I just saw the Fofana winning goal for Udinese against juve. De Ligt the most expensive defender in the history of Serie A, lol..

·
Registered
59,120 Posts
Managed to watch the Inter-Viola game on tv after only watching it on a stream prior. Some quick points:

To be fair to Lukaku, hitting the post was unfortunate, decent header.

The early chance he took it well imo, mind you the whole action happened quickly and the ball was bouncing between Fiorentina defenders and keeper like mad, Lukaku took it first time on the turn but the goalie did well.

Indeed the 3rd chance he should have done better by passing to Alexis for a simple tap in.

When Lautaro came on he had 3 attempts: all 3 poorly executed. A poor shot and 2 lame headers.

The chance Samir saved was originally due to Godin having a bad header which led to the Viola hitting us on the counter.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts