Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between the possible Liverpool, PSV, Roma and Inter i think that the draw wasn't that bad. Currently, Inter isn't at its best so we will probably give them a tough fight.
The problem is that currently, we don't have any striker available! Féher has recently died, Mantorras is injured, Nuno Gomes was expelled last match and Sokota won't probably recover soon enough to play the first leg.
Without disrespecting Inter, we have a chance to go through and if they want to beat us, they'll have to be in top form.
Our biggest opponent? The injuries this season! Absolutely incredible!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Not impossible, especially with Inters form as of late :happy: Hopefully we can do well in this match and go through to the next round ;)

Shame about all those injuries :depress: I am sure however that something will work out :D

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The order of the legs has been changed. Benfica will play Inter at home next week and face the italians on March 24th.

Nuno Gomes and Vieri, expelled last match are unavailable for the first leg.

·
Registered
57,699 Posts
o_bEnFiQuIsTa said:
Our biggest opponent? The injuries this season! Absolutely incredible!
You too ? :D

Those Inter players are currently injured :

Cannavaro, Coco, Emre, Almeyda and Martins (just back)

Dejan Stankovic and Adriano can't play in the UEFA Cup because they played with Lazio and Parma in Europe this season.

No Nuno Gomes ? That's certainly good news for Inter.

So where would the first leg be held ?

Can you explain the way Benfica play ? I Mean their tactics and starting line-up etc...

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If i told you that this season we had 17 players injured would you believe it?

I can't even tell you our regular system since we are constantly changing from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 because of the injuries.

Benfica has a great attack but is quite unstable in the defence. A bit like Inter, we are capable of the best and the worse at the same time.

Most likely 11

GK: Moreira
DF: Miguel, Ricardo Rocha, Hélder, Armando
DM: Petit, Tiago
AM: Simão, Zahovic, João Pereira
ST: Sokota (if he recovers in time)

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to mention that the game will be played in our new stadium, which maintained the same name "Estádio da Luz", but had a significant decrease in capacity, the new one holds 65400.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Hello Benfica fans. :) I come with peace. :cool:

Well, it seems that our physios should be sent to the doctor school again. Inter has a never-ending injuries problem too. Aside from the players that N4L mentioned, players like VDM and Recoba also had constant & frequent fitness problems.

Our biggest opponent is not our injuries though, but the sad mentality of our team. :(

Nonetheless, I hope to have a great tie with Benfica. May the best team qualify!!!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Benfica's medical department is doing great, this is not to do with staff quality - doctors or physiotherapists. Club is building a training centre (in Seixal) which is taking too long to be finished (maybe in 05). Meanwhile, squad is training in Massamá, Odivelas (surrounding Lisbon locations) and sometimes in the stadium. This means players experiment a lot of different pitches, but the main problem is that they take more than 30 minutes to do relaxing/recovering treatments after Odivelas or Massamá training sessions because those locations are not prepared with enough quality equipment. That's why there was a recent article saying Benfica's medical department equipment was one of the worse of Superliga. The ironic part was that the same newspaper insisted with some criticism and sarcasm that Camacho sent players to massages and steam baths instead of training other stuff in some training sessions. These conditions are the only factor that makes me not to criticise more Camacho's work. We can't expect more from this team with this shame.

·
Registered
57,699 Posts
o_bEnFiQuIsTa said:
If i told you that this season we had 17 players injured would you believe it?
The players that got injured this season for Inter :

Brechet, Cannavaro, Coco, Gamarra, Helveg, Materazzi, Almeyda, Emre, Cristiano Zanetti, Van der Meyde, Recoba, Kallon, Martins, Vieri and Fontana.

We had a similar amount of injuries last season under Cuper.

Our training ground is great (Pinetina), but the problem is the Giuseppe Meazza pitch. It's terrible.

Well, you certainly play a more flowing game than us. ( who doesn't anyway :rolleyes: ) I'm happy that Vieri won't play in Lisbon. Why ? Benfica would attack and so we need a pacy player like Martins to help us counter you guys. Vieri is as slow as a turtle.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I'm curious to see how Camacho will try to stop Martins. About van der Meyde, if he plays in the right wing Benfica will have a lot of problems, really.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Inter-Benfica clash triggers glorious memories

MILAN, March 4 (Reuters) - Inter Milan president Giacinto Facchetti, who played in the 1965 European Cup final against Benfica, welcomed the clubs being drawn together on Thursday in the UEFA Cup fourth round.

"They are fascinating opponents to have. For anyone at Inter, Benfica means the European Cup - the second time we won it, in 1965 at the San Siro in front of our fans.

"It was a beautiful, unforgettable night, a tough game on an almost impossible pitch. They were then a very difficult team to beat but we came into the match after that legendary semi-final against Liverpool and we were really fired up."

Coach Alberto Zaccheroni said: "We face a glorious club, a team that has made history."

Inter won the 1965 European Cup final 1-0.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Benfica vs Inter tickets go on sale $ 25 to $80 dollars
tickets for general public will go on sale Saturday, from a minimum of $25 dollars [20 euros] to a maximum of $80 dollars[75 euros], the tickets
will go on sale at 10 am in the morning,
if you a club member, the tickets will bo between
10 euros and 53 euros, a big save.

Os preços variam entre os 10 e os 53 euros para sócios, enquanto para o público geral oscila entre os 20 e 75 euros, pelo que os interessados poderão adquirir o precioso ingresso a partir das 10 horas deste sábado, nos locais habituais.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A full house is expected for this Benfica vs Inter Uefa Cup match. Only in the first day, 15000 tickets were sold.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got my ticket and i'm pretty confident for this european night. From what i've seen from Roma vs Inter, it's obvious that Inter is not so great this year.
I think Benfica should use the speed as a weapon since Inter's defence is far from being in shape.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Uefa Cup Preview: Benfica-Inter
Inter - Benfica | Latest News | Match Preview | News Archive

Cruz to lead Inter's attack (Getty Images)
03/11/2004. Inter travel to A Luz in Lisbon to face Benfica in the first leg of the Uefa Cup fourth round.

Both teams are passing through a bad league form with Benfica in third place 14 points adrift of league leaders Porto while Inter lie in seventh place, fighting for the last possible Champions League spot and having lost their last 4 consecutive Serie A matches. Therefore this comPetition has become important for both Benfica and Inter who see it as their only chance for silverware this season.

The home team made it to this stage thanks to wins in the previous rounds against La Louviere, Molde and Rosenborg without impressing much. In the last round against Rosenborg they were only able to go through thanks to the away goal rule.

After crashing out of the Champions League, Inter made itto the Uefa thanks to their third spot placing in Europe's most important competition and therefore skipped the first two Uefa Cup rounds. The only match they played up till now in this competition was against Sochaux and even in this case, an away goal was the deciding factor for the qualification.

This match brings great memories to Inter, as Benfica was the team they defeated in the 194/65 Champions Cup season to win their last trophy in that competition.

Camacho will not be able to play with Mantorras and Argel who are both unavailable due to injury. On the other hand Inter have Vieri and Materazzi suspended while Coco, Almeyda, Gamarra and Emre are still injured.

PROBABLE FORMATIONS:

Benfica (4-3-3): Moreira; Da Silva, Cristiano, Ricardo ROCHA, Joao Pereira; Petit, Zahovic, Tiago; Simão Sabrosa, Nuno Gomes, Miguel

Inter (3-4-3): Toldo; Cordoba, Adani, Cannavaro; Zanetti J., Zanetti C, Farinos, Okan; van der Meyde, Cruz, Martins

Glenn Debattista

soccerage

================

Uefa Cup Prediction: Benfica-Inter
Inter - Benfica | Latest News | SA Predictions - UEFA | News Archive

03/11/2004. With the two fallen giants facing each other in the Uefa Cup fourth round, nothing much should be expected from the first leg as both teams will give it all in the second. 0-0
Glenn Debattista

soccerage

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Okan is playing for Inter and i want him to put on a good game but I also want Benfica to win...
Tough decision to make, I'm confused and don't know who to cheer for.

what do you think ana?

:D:D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts