Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday 14th May 2002

Internazionale president Massimo Moratti has revealed that he is willing to sell any of the current squad - including Brazil forward Ronaldo - in the wake of the club's failure to lift the Scudetto.

"I hope Ronaldo will play next season but if there's someone ready to make an offer for him, I will listen," he said.

Moratti made the astonishing claim as the fall-out continued from Inter's botched Serie A challenge, which was capped when they lost 4-2 at Lazio on the final day of the season.

"I certainly feel, after the loss against Lazio, that I could sell any Inter player," he insisted.

"Here there are still people crying about that match and I can't forget it. All our stars who played that match are guilty, some more than others. But after Lazio, even Ronaldo can be sold."

Moratti was responding to a request by Ronaldo's agent Reinaldo Pitta to meet with him for urgent talks over an extension to the Brazilian's contract.

"Moratti is a good man, but we have to meet soon because we are in the fifth and final year of the contract," said Pitta. "Ronaldo wants desperately to play in a team that can win things.

"We have to talk now that Ronaldo is back to the form he was in at Barcelona and in his first season at Inter."

Moratti's latest outburst is a far cry from his relaxed attitude in the immediate aftermath of the Lazio defeat. After insisting coach Hector Cuper's job was safe, he revealed he had not decided on his transfer strategy for the summer.

"We have to remember that we were the league leaders for a long time and we lost the Scudetto in the last match with Lazio," he said.

"I am confident in this group of players. We will change as little as possible and we will look for experienced players, ready to win something important.

"We have not decided on our moves for next season. I saw newspapers talking about trades including our players but I believe they are premature."

·
Registered
920 Posts
Moratti wont never sell Ronaldo...the brazilian is like a son for him!!!!!!!!

NO WAY TO SEE RONALDO WITH ANOTHER JERSEY!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
come on all i figure out is the guy was pissed with inter losing the title... it does't mean he will sell him out...i don't mind if he is replaced with crespo

·
Registered
879 Posts
this is more 'MEDIOTS' crap. why would inter sell ronaldo9, given that he has very little value?

Maybe if he plays well in the WC and plays more than 30 games next year he can have a value above 20mil euros. Otherwise, the only other thing he can be useful for is as a marketing device. Of course at that point, why would inter sell him, if he has proved his versatility?

His age also no longer allows him to be considered 'young', rather middle age. I think he will spend his career with inter.

Too bad, if he had only thought about playing the game, instead of the bright lights, glitz and glamour, he would be mentioned in the same breath as pele and maradona by now. But that is not a uncommon story.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Inter deny Ronaldo fall out Tuesday 14 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inter have denied that there is a rift between the club and star striker Ronaldo, which could see him leave the Nerazzurri.

Reports on Tuesday claim that the Brazilian is unhappy at the club’s lack of success and his salary which he believes should be higher.

One of Ronaldo’s agents, Reynaldo Pitta, was quoted in the Gazzetta dello Sport claiming that his client could quit the club if things didn’t change.

"Inter President Massimo Moratti is a good man but we need to assess the situation because we are in our fifth year at Inter and Ronaldo wants to play in a winning team," Pitta said.

"We also need to clarify his wage situation because he has returned to the player of old. It is not right that his teammates get more money than he does. Ronaldo gets 6m Euros a year, Alvaro Recoba 8m and Christian Vieri 10m."

However, the remarks were met with surprise at the San Siro. A club statement suggested that the Brazilian and Inter were and are on good terms.

"We are surprised by the statements attributed to one of Ronaldo’s agents, Reynaldo Pitta," it read.

"This is because the comments were about a situation in which Massimo Moratti and Alexandre Martins, the man responsible for Ronaldo’s Inter contract, are having discussions about."

The statement concluded: "Therefore there are no changes in the relationship between Ronaldo and this football club."

The former PSV Eindhoven striker is currently in training with Brazil as they prepare for the World Cup Finals.

channel4

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Well,from this statement,I saw 2 faces of Moratti.

First,his ususal idiotic mind!:D I dont know why it's only after the Lazio match he would think to sell anyone in the team!I mean that match we played poorly for sure,but it was somewhat understandable the the players's stress got the better of themselves.I dont think they played poorly because they didnt give a damn,but on the contrary,they cared too much about this success!

Then,it is good to hear that no one at Inter is indispensible.Cuz quite frankly,if players know they wont be sold even they play crap,they would undermined the team!Also,finally it seemed he know the key to success,no big change and with smart purchaces!

I wish the next season is gonna be more positive!

FORZA INTER!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
maxout said:

Too bad, if he had only thought about playing the game, instead of the bright lights, glitz and glamour, he would be mentioned in the same breath as pele and maradona by now. But that is not a uncommon story.
Bright lights, glitz and glamour?:confused: ? How is a career threatening injury any of those things. For sure he could have been as great or even better than them but it wasn't his choice to get injured.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Dont you guys ever follow the pattern,,,after the end of every season #'s of players are reported to be leaving , staying money this money that..

After the WC we will see.And until i read something on www.inter.it who left and who we have signed i will no forsure.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Ghostface said:

Bright lights, glitz and glamour?:confused: ? How is a career threatening injury any of those things. For sure he could have been as great or even better than them but it wasn't his choice to get injured.
oh.. puleeze.. it was of course his choice.

the italian league in 1997 was viewed by most as the league with the most prestige, just like now its probably the spanish league. Ronaldo wanted fame and money, and risked his body for it. Everybody, even then, knew Serie A was brutal on a body, even for a 21 year old player.

Maybe he didn't get injured directly as a result of a tackle, but come on, all that pounding takes its toll eventually. I'm just saying he went to a league that didn't suit his style.. and still doesn't. I don't blame him for wanting all those things I said above, but I refuse to feel sorry for him.

I think it would have been much less likely for him to get seriously injured in other leagues around europe.

He took a risk, and got burned. Life is about delayed gratification. A few years longer in the spanish league, and he would has been the best striker to ever wear boots.

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong here, but didn´t Ronaldo became injured during the WC 98 in France?!
It was there the players kicked his knees all the time. Then when he came back, he wasn´t touched by the Lazio player that was closest to him (Couto) when he was injured again.

So in no way, this was a fault of Serie A and it´s brutality. It was the WC that screwed this up. Not Serie A.

·
Registered
879 Posts
jimmy,

perhaps I did say this clearly enough the first time. I was trying to say that small scrapes over the course of 30+ games in the italian league will take their toll. yes, even though he went down on his own, I still think the day in day out pounding he took was part of it.

The point I was trying to make was that somebody with chronically weak knees like ronny (he had.. what? 8 knee operations before age 21)... should NOT have played in the toughest league.. he should have played somewhere 'softer' but still prestigous.

This is not a swipe at Serie A, who I feel will eventually return to its status as the #1 league, or even their style of play, which I have a grudging respect for. I just don't think its suited to his style of play.. and more importantly its UNSUITED for his health condition EVEN NOW.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts