Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First as a player, then as a coach and finally as a 'master' of football in the Nerazzurri youth academy and talent scout, Gianni Invernizzi spent almost the whole of his life at Inter. Born in Albairate, Milan province on 26 August 1931, Invernizzi died earlier this evening after a long stay in hospital.

Gianni Invernizzi took his first steps in the world of football at Audace Abbiategrasso and soon caught the attention of Inter. Coached by Giulio Cappelli, he made his first-team debut for the Nerazzurri at the age of eighteen in Torino 1-0 Inter on 30 April 1950. A well-built and tireless midfielder with a keen sense of tactics, he moved on loan to Genoa (1951), Triestina (1953) and Udinese (1954) before returning to Inter, becoming captain until the autumn of 1960 when he transferred to Torino. Invernizzi, who also had a spell at Venezia, ended his playing career at Como, but Inter was his home and passion, with 149 appearances and 6 goals in competitive matches. At international level he played one match for the Azzurri, a 2-1 defeat to Northern Ireland in Belfast on 15 January 1958 which saw Italy excluded from that year's World Cup in Sweden.

Invernizzi's dream of winning the Scudetto with Inter came true when he coached the Nerazzurri to their 11th Serie A title in 1970/71. Then president Ivanoe Fraizzoli called Invernizzi into his office and put him in charge of the first team after firing Heriberto Herrera. Gianni, nicknamed 'Robbiolina' by friends and journalists, left his position at the club's youth sector and put himself at the service of a squad that would go on to pull off an historic feat. It was the year of the so-called 'Second Overtaking'. After getting Jair and Bedin back in form, he re-designed the team with Burgnich as sweeper and put the young Bellugi at right-back. Invernizzi's new Inter beat Torino 2-0 at home then lost its second game 2-1 away to Napoli. But legend has it that during the trip back to Milan the foundations were laid for what would be remembered as a classic comeback. It was 22 November 1970, with Napoli and AC Milan seven and six points ahead of Inter.

Against all odds, the Nerazzurri put together a series of 23 positive results (a record beaten by Roberto Mancini's side this year), then caught up with and overtook Chiappella's Napoli and Rocco's AC Milan . Invernizzi's side won the Scudetto with 46 points, four more than the Rossoneri, who they beat 2-0 in a memorable derby on 7 March 1971 thanks to goals from Mario Corso (a shot from a Mandrake free kick on 12 minutes) and Sandro Mazzola (a header on 32 minutes). Invernizzi and his Nerazzurri won the Scudetto at the San Siro on 2 May 1971 with a 5-0 thrashing of Foggia. Roberto Boninsegna was top scorer, with 24 goals in 28 games. The following year Inter reached the semi-finals of the Coppa Italia and the European Cup final, which they lost 2-0 to Ajax in Rotterdam. Invernizzi was replaced by Enea Masiero during his third season as Inter coach.

Invernizzi was at home at Inter. For many years he was a scout for the club with his base in Abbiategrasso on the outskirts of Milan . He worked tirelessly for the club's youth academy and until a few months ago it was normal and a pleasure for everyone to see him every day at Inter's headquarters in via Durini. We remember him, as he would probably have liked, with the names of his boys that won that famous Scudetto at the start of the 1970s: Bedin, Bellugi, Bertini, Boninsegna, Bordon, Burgnich, Cella, Corso, Facchetti, Fabbian, Fristalupi, Giubertoni, Jair, Mazzola, Oriali, Pellizzaro, Reif, Righetti, Lido Vieri.

Invernizzi comes on to the pitch ready to take on Boniperti

Invernizzi the coach with Sandro Mazzola

inter.it
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
:moan:

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
FORZA INVERNIZZI

I will forever regard him as one of the great Interistas of the old days

·
Registered
45,687 Posts
RIP. Thank you for everything.

This is always sad, and words won't quite do this justice.

Forza Magica Inter!

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
From what i have heard he was truly one of the greats of Inter. A great tribute has been done for him.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Invernizzi took over from Heriberto Herrera.
The team sweared they would win the league, and so they did.
Something to remember in this days of stinking liars whose country is money...

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Yuumei said:
Something to remember in this days of stinking liars whose country is money...
I'll pretend that I didn't get the hint that you're talking about Berlusconi here. :flirt:

OOPS!

:D

·
Registered
45,687 Posts
Raz, did you use the 'flirt' smiley on purpose or was it just an accident? :D

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Firdaus said:
Raz, did you use the 'flirt' smiley on purpose or was it just an accident? :D
You know, now that you mention it, I just realized that its Yuumei and not Yvonne :lala:

That makes it two accidents now :D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

But I'm a girl too ^_^ and I was milanista, or so I thought, waaaaay ago, so...

Not that I mention those same players today have at heart their monthly 'pagnotta' and not Inter's triumphs...

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Heheh. You're a smart girl Yuumei. Anyone who sees the light and abandons BBilan is smart :angel:

Btw, I dont think Yvonne is a girl :googly: Right? :nervous:

·
Registered
45,687 Posts
They're both girls! Yvonne is all for Inter :stuckup: and Yuumei is a closet Inter fan. :hopefull: She loves us - she just doesn't know it yet!

But Raz, if you want to make sure, you can ask them to post their photos on the Interisti Photos thread above...started by yours truly.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
FORZA FIRDAUS FOR CREATING PICS THREAD

But anyways, RIP INVERNIZZI
TRUE HERO

·
Registered
867 Posts
Razman said:
Heheh. You're a smart girl Yuumei. Anyone who sees the light and abandons BBilan is smart :angel:

Btw, I dont think Yvonne is a girl :googly: Right? :nervous:

Yes, I'm a girl. Razman how could you have missed that??? :dazed:

P.S. Me VERY SMART girl. Me Interfan. :stuckup:

·
Registered
867 Posts
RIP Gianni Invernizzi.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Yvonne said:
Yes, I'm a girl. Razman how could you have missed that??? :dazed:

P.S. Me VERY SMART girl. Me Interfan. :stuckup:
Oops.. Truly sorry :nervous:

It just never occured to me for some reason. That is the purpose of the Photos thread: So that ppl wont be confused as to your gender :angel: :D Why dont you contribute to that thread? :tongue:

Oh and yeaaaaaa.. You're an exceptionally smart one for supporting INTER! ;)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Firdaus said:
They're both girls! Yvonne is all for Inter :stuckup: and Yuumei is a closet Inter fan. :hopefull: She loves us - she just doesn't know it yet!
:irritate: :lazy: :scared: :doh:
Sorry... but years ago I left the oportunity of both marrying Inter and getting a boyfriend :howler: Anyway, I've never looked back at it, Inter managers make me sick... :veiled:

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Forget the managers.. Embrace the fans :flirt:

·
Registered
45,687 Posts
Ummm...I think you missed what I said...post your pics on the PICTURE THREAD. And yes, that means YOU, Yvonne and Yuumei!

Oh and Raz, I do believe you used the "flirt" smiley this time for Yuumei even though you didn't mean it the last time round. Surely, you don't want to be labelled as the Inter forum bicycle? ;) I think that title belongs to TAZZ! (Yeah man, I'm calling you out on this sh*t).

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
LOL

TAZZ Who?

Its RAZZ Baby ;)

I'm just messin around :tongue:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts