Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This has lost points written all over it. I know I shouldn't be pessimistic, but at the present time, getting a draw is a very good result for this fixture.

Preview from Channel4

Serie A Week 33

Inter - Fiorentina
Stadio Meazza
The incredibly tight Scudetto and Champions League races cross paths at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza and it’s set to be an explosive encounter.

Inter are back on track following their 2-0 win away to Atalanta, but Roma are still snapping at their heels with a four-point gap. This means they cannot afford to slip up, having won just two of their last nine Serie A games. Fiorentina are in an identical situation, as Milan, Sampdoria and Udinese fight to tear up their four-point cushion for fourth place, but they have the added complication of a UEFA Cup quarter-final trip to PSV Eindhoven first.

It was a very rough March for Roberto Mancini’s men after elimination from the Champions League, suffering their first defeat at Napoli and losing to Juventus on home turf. They haven’t celebrated victory at San Siro since March 8 when Palermo fell 2-1. The Coach put much of the blame for those setbacks on the succession of injuries to his midfielders and it is no coincidence that the return of Esteban Cambiasso saw the team beat Atalanta in Bergamo last Sunday.

Dejan Stankovic and Patrick Vieira are also battling back to full fitness, though Zlatan Ibrahimovic, David Suazo and Cristian Chivu struggle with on-going problems. The usual long-term absentees – Ivan Cordoba, Walter Samuel and Olivier Dacourt – are out for the campaign. This means Mancini could use the 4-5-1 system that did so well at the Stadio Azzurri d’Italia.

Fiorentina have also been stuttering, though were relieved to see Milan in a similar situation. Although the Viola are fresh from a 2-0 victory over Reggina which saw Giampaolo Pazzini score a morale-boosting header, their away record leaves a lot to be desired. They have lost three on the trot at Siena, Napoli and Udinese, during which they conceded six goals and scored just one.

The Tuscans don’t have the best history at San Siro either, losing their last five Serie A visits on the trot. Last season Luca Toni had given Fiorentina the lead, but Stankovic, Adriano and Ibrahimovic turned it around. The neutrals are sure to be entertained either way, as this tie hasn’t ended in a draw since the 2-2 in November 1996.

Franco Semioli remains sidelined and Marco Donadel is suspended, so Zdravko Kuzmanovic starts in midfield and Mario Alberto Santana is the favourite to complete the trident with Pazzini and Adrian Mutu, though former Inter hero Christian Vieri is ready to step on as a substitute to a no doubt frosty welcome from the fans. It’s an important test for Mancini, as Cesare Prandelli has been suggested as his possible replacement next term.

Keep an eye on: Adrian Mutu (Fiorentina) – If anyone can stop Inter, then it’s the Romanian hitman with a new lease of life, especially as this club sold him after just six months in 2000.[/quote]

Can't believe our recent away results hasn't been great...this will indeed be very tough.

I know I am not really supposed to write this topic based on my poor away "fixtures" :howler: but I think I shouldn't believe in superstitions :D

Apparently Milan will go away to Gobbi this week, so they're up against tough opposition as well.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Disappointed to see Donadel won't see action, but good luck nevertheless. I'll obviously be rooting for ya, and forza Mutu. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,535 Posts
Purple power!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
The Gobbi came through...I must admit when I saw the 1-2 scoreline to Milan, I was cursing.
We have a chance now to open up a lead...hopefully Roma want the scudetto as bad as Inter do.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
At least first part of round today has been good. Udinese lost 1-3 against Roma and Sampdoria was not able to score against relegation candidates Reggina and lost 0-1 :):)

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
oh thats just brilliant...

well at least Roma beat Udine and Samp lost, so if we stumble here it isnt THE END of the world...

a win and CL is all but ours!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
oh thats just brilliant...

well at least Roma beat Udine and Samp lost, so if we stumble here it isnt THE END of the world...

a win and CL is all but ours!
Indeed! A win tonight would be a HUGE bonus.

According to latest reports on FV.it; Jörgensen is favourite to start instead of Santana. Gamberini still isn't 100%, but should start. Pazzini vs Bobo, 50-50

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Good luck tonight. I hope Santana starts, he was excellent against PSV.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Formations

Inter
Julio Cesar, Maicon, Burdisso, Materazzi, Maxwell, Zanetti, Vieira, Cambiasso, Stankovic, Balotelli, Cruz. A disp: Toldo, Chivu, Maniche, Jimenez, Figo, Suazo, Crespo. All. Mancini

Fiorentina
Frey, Jorgensen, Gamberini, Ujfalusi, Gobbi, Liverani, Kuzmanovic, Montolivo, Santana, Pazzini, Mutu. A disp: Avramov, Dainelli, Kroldrup, Pasqual, Papa Waigo, Vieri, Osvaldo. All: Prandelli

Arbitro
Saccani

·
Professional Pirate
7,103 Posts
Great game so far.End to end stuff.Is it just me or is Serie A looking really great lately.All the games for the past 2 weeks have been pretty damn entertaining.

Good luck.Loved the Santana and Kuzmanovic runs.

·
Registered
17,535 Posts
Frey is just incredible.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Started well, but Inter have slowly got to grips with this game and been on top... Fiorentina midfield should really do more... Liverani and Montolivo are the most creative guys in that part of the pitch, from either team yet you are losing the ball too often, also because Inter are pressuring well in this zone.

·
Registered
17,535 Posts
Inter score, it was a matter of time, they were besieging Fiorentina.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
They were just lucky :(

1 - 20 of 54 Posts