Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worse case scenario sees us playing Bayer without Keane, Beckham and Johnson. Who would be in our starting XI for that game?

·
Registered
579 Posts
4-4-2 Formation
----------------------
Barthez
Wes Brown -- Gaz -- Blanc -- Micky
Scholes -- Veron -- Butt -- Giggs
Ole -- Ruud

In playing a 4-4-1-1, probably Giggsy would push forward slightly behind Ruud, and Fortune would slot into Giggsy place. Ole on the bench in 4-4-1-1.

Overall, not so bad, but we can't sustain too many more injuries as the bench starts to look a bit thin.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
The miedfield will get narrow without Becks on the right.No matter who plays on the right,be it Scholes or Veron,both have a tendency of moving to the center,which is their natural position.This might leave Gaz exposed a lot.:nervous:

Giggs did a fine job against Depor on that right flank but I dont think fergie will employ him there against the Germans.Most probably veron will be asked to do the job on that flank whether we play 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2.

The 4-4-1-1 formation would be like.........

--------------Barthez--------------------

Gaz----Blanc------Brown-------Silvestre---

Veron-----Butt-------Scholes------Fortune---

--------------Giggs-----------------------------

----------------------------Ruud-------------------

Fergie will use this formation at the Bay Arena to stifle any space available to the Leverkusen midfield and tell Butt to keep a close watch over the dangerous Ballack.Giggs' pace should be a real concern for the German defence while Ruud will prove himself to be a menace.The same will be employed at Chelsea next week which is a game that we have to win in order to stay in the race for the Championship.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
It depends on what Fergie will play, 4-4-2, or 4-4-1-1!

If its 4-4-2 then:

Brathez
Brown-Gaz-Blanc-Silva
Veron-Scholes-Butt-Giggs
------Ole--- Ruud

OR!

if its 4-4-1-1 then:

Barthez
Brown-Gaz-Blanc-Silva
Veron-Scholes-Butt-Fortune
-----------------Giggs
-----------Ruud

EITHER WAY IS FINE!

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
And we can blame this on the pretending champions super-sh!t depor. If fergie plays a 4-4-1-1 and i think he will it will look something like this;-

--------------Barthez----------------------
Gaz---------Blanc----Brown-------- Silvestre
Veron----- Butt---Scholes-------------Fortune

---------------------------------Giggs
------------------Van nistelrooy

Sub.
Ole(to come on, half time)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
i'm with k-2 on this one. you can't leave butt out, nor sholes, veron, giggs or RVN. the 5 men in midfield seems to be working at the moment so why change it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
For the home game we should go for the throat, that means play 4-4-2. After all we can hardly drop Ole now, the poor bloke must be wondering what he has to do to get in the side. After Veron's performance against Depor I reckon he should stay in the centre with scholes on the right.

Barthez

G Neville Brown Blanc Silvestre

Scholes Butt Veron Giggs

Van Nistelrooy Solskjaer

Even with Keano, Becks and Ronnie missing that's still a great side. In the away leg if we have a lead revert to 4-5-1 and hit them on the break.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Fab

Gaz Wes Blanc Micky

Ole Nicky Seba Scholes

Giggsy

Ruud

STICK TO 4-4-1-1

·
Registered
322 Posts
yeah id go with libero`s team ,ole played well when he came on for becks agaisnt depor.
gaz is going to be very busy containing ze roberto on the left and if we can contain ballack who is a exceptional player we should be right.
i also heard seba didn`t pull up too well after the depor game, he was hobbling around training yesterday.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The papers in England claim that Johnsen is out for the rest of the season and that Veron may also miss Man U's remaining games!

What happened to them?
This can only be good news for Arsenal fans.
You could be without Keane, Beckham, Johnsen and Veron for the Arsenal game.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can't see Fergie playing Ole on the right, Depors first goal came when he was fairly easily beaten on the wing. I think Fergie recognised this and switched Giggsy to the right in the second half. Its a tough one but Fergies the man with the plan!

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
After Veron's performance against Depor I reckon he should stay in the centre with scholes on the right.
Yep in my opinion Veron was fantastic against depor, one of the few games i have been impressed with him. Some say it's because he doesnt need to compete with Keane, now that he's out and thats why he played more confidently, who knows :confused:

His passing seemed to be very precise and accurate, keep it up Seba!!

Do you think fergie will let 'Sally' play? i hope not..

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
When we play Bayer at the BayArena Ole cannot be used on that right flank.He was found out pretty easily by Romero for Depor's first goal and Leverkusen have two decent players in Placente and Ze roberto down that flank.So one has to do a lot of covering work on that flank and thats why Scholes will be given the job of keeping tabs on Placente.

At home,if we have a lead from germany then Fergie will opt for 4-4-1-1 but if the scores are tied or if we are trailing then the Scotsman will go for all out attack with 4-4-2,putting Ole alongside Ruud up front.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
K-2 said:
When we play Bayer at the BayArena Ole cannot be used on that right flank.He was found out pretty easily by Romero for Depor's first goal and Leverkusen have two decent players in Placente and Ze roberto down that flank.So one has to do a lot of covering work on that flank and thats why Scholes will be given the job of keeping tabs on Placente.

At home,if we have a lead from germany then Fergie will opt for 4-4-1-1 but if the scores are tied or if we are trailing then the Scotsman will go for all out attack with 4-4-2,putting Ole alongside Ruud up front.
That's true Shaf, haven't thought of that really.

We play the first leg first though...

How about Scholes on the right and Quinton on the left and bring on Ole if things don't go our way?

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
We play the first leg first though...
If we play the first leg at Old Trafford then what formation do you guys think Fergie should put out?The 4-4-1-1 or the more attacking 4-4-2(more attacking simply because Ole comes into play with this formation and the form he is in at the moment he's bound to get us a goal.)I suggest going for the 4-4-2 system at home as we have to take a couple of goals lead at the BayArena.Liverpool found out that one goal lead wasnt enough for them and with our defence,its vital that we score a couple at least.The 4-4-2 would sth like this...........

----------------------Barthez--------------------------

Gaz----------Blanc----------Brown--------Silvestre---

Scholes---------Butt-------------Veron--------Giggs---

----------------Ole----------------------Ruud--------------

A very attacking formation but since we'll be playing at Old Trafford and with Bayer likely to put out a defensive looking side,this team should do the job.Ballack is an extremely dangerous player who holds a super shot.We have to keep a close watch over him.Bayer has two wily,experienced forwards in Neuville and Kirsten while Ze Roberto is excellent with the ball on his feet.Its tantamount that Scholes,Veron and Butt come out as winners from the midfield duel because the Bayer forwards depend on their midfield for service and without quality service they are not as dangerous.

Away from Fergie will definitely put out the 4-4-1-1 formation with like Roy suggested above,Fortune on the left and Scholes on the right flank keeping a close watch over Placente(who is the argentinian version of Carlos:tongue: )

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
No, no, no, 4-4-1-1 all the way...

It gives us so much...

Very hard to break, strong in midfield and we get to loads of chances too...

Having Giggsy as the link-up man between defence and attack is vital and just class...

Don't mess with something that works as they say...

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Against Depor United scored two goals in the second half after fergie reverted back to the 4-4-2 formation,puttingOle alongside ruud.Immediately we looked more of a threat and the kind of form Ole's in at the moment he always looks like scoring.Thats why I feel that we should make use of his hot streak by playing him alongside Ruud.Also Solskjaer is an extremely intelligent player and always tracks back to help out in midfield.I just dont want to see this man being wasted on the bench.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I'd love to see him play as well but the 4-4-1-1 formation is vital!

and Giggs as the link-up man is as vital!

And Ole scored his 2 goals while United still played 4-4-1-1 with Giggsy up front and Ole on the right wing...

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
I'd love to see him play as well but the 4-4-1-1 formation is vital!
I agree that this formation has really clicked recently and in all likelyhood Fergie will start with this.However I still feel Ole's quality should be used at home.

And Ole scored his 2 goals while United still played 4-4-1-1 with Giggsy up front and Ole on the right wing...
He scopred the first goal from a set-piece and he would have been in the box irrespective of the formation:tongue: and when he scored the second goal,United were actually back to the 4-4-2 formation and Ole was partnering ruud up front while Giggs was on the right flank.;)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
K-2 said:

He scopred the first goal from a set-piece and he would have been in the box irrespective of the formation:tongue: and when he scored the second goal,United were actually back to the 4-4-2 formation and Ole was partnering ruud up front while Giggs was on the right flank.;)
Ok, no need to be a pedantic cnut

;) :tongue:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts