Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many teams have 'em, is it merely a coincidence? or are the players badly prepared?

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
*caugh* Age of players *caugh*

Perhaps not the only reason, and you can bring many examples of always injured youngsters. But the older you get, the more injuries you get, and when Italian teams median age (at least for the top teams) is substantially higher than in most rivals leagues... well.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Good point about age and, ofcourse, the older a player is, the liklihood is higher that he has already had more injuries in his career than a younger player, which can also increase the risk of injury.

I believe the easiest way to reduce the number of injuries would be to revert to an 18-team Serie A, thereby eliminating any need for midweek football outside of UEFA competitions and Coppa Italia ties. That way, if the season begins one week earlier than it usuall does, like next season when it begins on the penultimate weekend of August (22/23 August), there is more time for recovery without the pressure to play players who are not fit and of course 4 less games for each team to suffer injuries in.

I do not understand why there is no move to reduce the size of Serie A.

·
Administrator
52,992 Posts
Juventus - 61
Roma - 49
Inter - 44
Milan - 40

Woot woot! We're number one! :happy: :party: We're number one! :happy: :party:

.....In total amount of injuries this season. :howler:

·
Registered
46,360 Posts
More players, more games, more injuries... here is the explanation of the fact that the big clubs have more injuries.

I think that those numbers are debatable anyway. What does injury mean? The days a player is ruled out should be counted. An ACL lesion is pretty different from a contusion.

·
Registered
59,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Juventus - 61
Roma - 49
Inter - 44
Milan - 40

Woot woot! We're number one! :happy: :party: We're number one! :happy: :party:

.....In total amount of injuries this season. :howler:
Milan have had more injuries than us this season, I believe.

·
Registered
23,919 Posts
Milan have had more injuries than us this season, I believe.
That statistic does not show the real story. The same player can have 10 2 day injuries and it really shows on the statistics. Like Toni mentioned you have to take in the time a player is injured. Nesta have been missing the whole season. Borriello most of it. Gattuso also a long term one. Abbiati just got lost for several months.

·
Administrator
52,992 Posts
Players In Italy Are Not Looked After Properly - Massimo Neri
The doctor working under England boss Fabio Capello says Italian sides' injury woes have been down to more than just bad luck...

Italian football has seen a plethora of injuries this season. The numbers are astounding as Juventus have dealt with 61 injuries while Roma have had 49 and this is not even taking into account Milan or Inter's casualties so far this year.

And not everyone believes it is all down to bad luck, or fate. The man who thinks that more people are to blame than one would care to admit, is the doctor who worked with Fabio Capello at Roma and Juventus, and has now followed him to England, Massimo Neri.

Speaking to Radio Capital, he said, “The Bianconeri and Giallorossi must have reached some kind of record.

“Teams often don’t take the time to prepare properly at the start of the season, because they have qualifiers to worry about. There is less work done on general aerobic fitness and strength.

“And these must be the basis of a nine or ten month season. Something has gone wrong, because once, you could count the injuries of a whole squad on the fingers of one hand.

“The other thing is prevention,” Neri continued, “If players are involved in internationals, the Champions League and other things, work must be done individually to prevent certain pains or strains.

“It seems to me that those in charge of these matters are not taking their responsibility seriously enough.”

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Good point about age and, ofcourse, the older a player is, the liklihood is higher that he has already had more injuries in his career than a younger player, which can also increase the risk of injury.
According to research conducted at euro2008 by the UEFA Medical Committee, the risk of a player sustaining injury "was very significantly higher for players under the age of 24 than for players aged 30 or over... the total injury risk was more than twice as high for younger players than older."

Food for thought there, although I do not know how closely that corrolates with club football where - perhaps very importantly - a club is more likely to be aware of the player's entire medcal history if he joins them early in his career than later.

·
Registered
23,919 Posts
According to research conducted at euro2008 by the UEFA Medical Committee, the risk of a player sustaining injury "was very significantly higher for players under the age of 24 than for players aged 30 or over... the total injury risk was more than twice as high for younger players than older."
That makes no sense.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
That makes no sense.
It's counter intuitive, but it's possible to find sense in it of we start thinking outside the box (young players training wrong, training too hard, etc). But it's counter intuitive, absolutely, and I was surprised to read it too.

·
Registered
23,919 Posts
i was more thinking that experienced players is better at avoiding tackles. Which could mean that young players get a lot of small injuries that heals fast, while the old experienced players have their body as their worst enemy.

·
Registered
59,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lavezzi, Milito and Maicon all got injured..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts