Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In school we are working on an assignment about the differences between men and women in todays football.That´s why I am gonna use this topic to try and get as much information as possible about women soccer.My questions might be difficult to answer,but I would appriciate all the help I could get.

So let´s start by asking this: How many female football teams exists in the world on a professional level?

If anyone has the numbers of male football teams,I would appriciate that also. :)

Thanks. :kiss:

(I´ll be back)

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
There are 8 teams in the USA that are fully professional (WUSA).

Fulham in England claims to be the only professional women's team in Europe, though there are many other women's teams associated with professional men's teams throughout Europe, e.g. Lazio, Arsenal, FC Bern, Eendracht Aalst, etc.

There are reportedly pro teams in Japan.

It's hard to define "professional" because many players have no income other than what they get from playing soccer. There are many such players in the Canada-USA "W-League". However, they don't play league games more than 6 months of the year (because of the climate, etc.) and their salaries are near poverty-level. Some are full-time students. Almost all are subsidized in some way or other by their families and spouses. Are they professionals?

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
If it's money we are talking about like Jeff said there won't be many. This however does not mean that the women are not equally professional, and not work equally hard. For example in Trondheims-Ørn one of the best female football teams in the world, the players themselves have to work for the club. For example, the players sell lottery tickets and hot dogs at Rosenborg matches, and Trondheims-Ørn gets all the money from those sales. However if players are sold to Fulham, Arsenal or the American league they live of the football, and are considered professionals.The important thing though, is not the money, but the hardworking players, who not only work for the club like I mentioned, but also exercise as much as male athletes. The spectator numbers in Norway are not always the highest, but at the right time, like the cup final there can be thousands and thousands of fans, even in a country without professional female football.

·
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
6,300 Posts
You are absolutely correct, Anders. Although in many countries, female players received extremely low salaries (or no salary at all!), the degree of professionalism can sometimes be compared to those countries that have *big leagues.* "I have many memorable experineces," Sissi, Brazil's leading striker once remarked, "most of them are unpleasant."

In China, there are 6 teams in the professional league which are fully supported by the government. However, things are changing over there. The Chinese Men's NT is currently jointly owed by the state as well as several private enterprises. We will just wait and see what will happen to the Women's NT and teams.

Does Japan has a professional league? Tiffeny Milbrett played there.

And perhaps colocolo can also enlighten us on the status of the South American women's teams.

·
International
9,526 Posts
I can tell you that in NZ there is one professional mens team, playing in the Aussie league, and no professional women's teams, and yet, I believe our national women's team is ranked quite highly, far higher, in comparison to the mens team.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Also in Europe, the women's teams which do get paid, only get a really small amount of money compared to men's teams. The women's teams in Germany and in some of the Scandinavian countries (or just one of them :confused: ) get some kinda salary, but still not much. And over here in Holland, all women of the highest women's league have full-time jobs apart from their soccer carreer.

And with men's soccer, there's even in the amature soccer quite some money to earn, even in the lowest divisions! For instance, my brother plays in this team which plays somewhere in the lower divisions of amature soccer, yet they get paid a lil if they win or play equal, and his club paid two players $6000 each if they'd come play there! Though everyone else has to pay contribution.
Same goes for my club....our first men's team is a lil better, yet amature and we all pay contribution to the club. But it's the sponsor of the club and that team who wants their money invested in the first men's team of the club, and not in better training facilities or new balls for the youth. So instead of supporting all teams of the club with their sponsor money, they pay the men of the first team some money whenever they win, and though it aint much, it's still more than any woman will get in Holland! *sigh* :(

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! :happy:

But no one has any exact numbers of how many female professional teams there are? I´m not too picky of what is considered professional,but teams that atleast plays football on a high level and gets salary.I guess that´s what I wanna know. :)

I would be truely grateful if anyone could tell me the numbers of female football teams in the world. :hopefull:

Thanks again!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Aw, Man ... And I wanted to do some trolling as I'm normally a mod.

Okay, here goes:

Your definition of pro soccer is a little vague. I'm assuming you mean a good level of play and some pay, if not a lot to live on. If that's the case, there are definately more teams than just the WUSA.

Norway has 10 upper level teams ... USA has 8 in the WUSA (Not sure about the W-League -- if they get paid or what)

Here's some countries that have leagues and teams, but no idea how many or if they even get paid:

Germany
Denmark
Sweden
France
England
Japan
China (I KNOW for a fact they have teams that pay players, since one was trying to sign Bente Nordby when she decided not to go back to the WUSA)

And there are some others which participate a club type of cup (the name escapes me) in May where all the top clubs from several different countries duke it out.

And, FYI, it's been rumored that if Kolbotn gave Nordby what she was asking to play for them, that she's now an official 'pro' soccer player in Norway. And apparently, she might be the only female to do so in their league.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fulham LFC is the only club in England where their players get paid. It sorta helps when Mohammed Al Fahid owns the damn team. Clubs like Arsenal, Doncaster Belles, etc. are other top flight clubs but most of the players have real jobs.

·
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
6,300 Posts
Hello rødt_kort, good to have you here.

China's league players DO get paid, no much, but according to Gao Hong :heart: who used to work at a factory before joining Guandong, "the salary was a tad better." :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
meaningless fact: Gao Hong didn't start playing soccer I believe until she was 18. Up until then, she was a b-ball player.

=============================================

I'm assuming at this point there's less than 100 pro women's teams in the world. Actually, I'm thinking less than 75, based on higher level of play and that pesky thing called a paycheck -- no matter how much is involved.

I wish I could help you with more specific info ... But there's really not enough info in english to help out much. And I'm sure fans of the women's teams in other countries are few and far between.

·
Registered
120 Posts
rødt_kort said:
meaningless fact: Gao Hong didn't start playing soccer I believe until she was 18. Up until then, she was a b-ball player.
If I recall the bulk of players from the early Chinese teams were converts from the track and hoops.

That's the tough part, a lot of the players have to get second jobs to augment their income, but in the case of China (and correct me here) I could assume that it's their job to play soccer for their national team.

Nap

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you guys! I have printed out the things you´ve been saying so far,and it´s really helpfull. :)

Another question then....

How much does the woman that earns the most wages,earn?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The WUSA founding players salaries range from about $50,000 -- $85, 000 ... And I do believe they all signed five year contracts with the league. Mia Hamm's endorsements every year total about $2 million. So, if you add the endorsements with the salary, Mia Hamm is the highest paid. Without an endorsement, it would have to go to the WUSA founders (which can be found on the WUSA's website I believe) ... No idea who makes what, but Brandi Chastain, Mia Hamm and some others make the highest, though no specifics have been named.

The average salary for international players range from about $30,000 -- 50,000. And the rank and file players make less than that, from about $20,000 -- $30,000. (I think most make less than $25,000, with the occasional exception.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Gotta have love here!

I'll also add from the wusa site that if any profits or revenues are made from the league, the Founding Players are to receive a share.

And yes,

Brandi Chastain 2
Linda Medalin 0

:D

Nap

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Gotta have love here!

Nap said:
Brandi Chastain 2
Linda Medalin 0
Brandi Chastain couldn't come up with an original idea if her life depended on it. Medalen, nude, back around 1997 for some campaign. And also the first one to toss her shirt at the '99 WWC.

Don't mock what you know nothing of.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Re: Re: Gotta have love here!

rødt_kort said:

Brandi Chastain couldn't come up with an original idea if her life depended on it. Medalen, nude, back around 1997 for some campaign. And also the first one to toss her shirt at the '99 WWC.

Don't mock what you know nothing of.
Hey red I saw that when it happened... you know I'm joking around... I knew Brandi was not the first to do the shirt routine...

To err their own--you know I'm going to rally behind the US, and you can rally behind the Norwegians...

I'm too tired to fight... Nap

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone again for giving me informative answers. :happy:

So to the next question then:

Is there a lot of commercials involved in womens football such as players doing commercial for NIKE and such?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The ad fiend answers

Jimmy said:
Is there a lot of commercials involved in womens football such as players doing commercial for NIKE and such?
Yes.

The USA National Team did a few commercials for Nike back in 1999. One had them at a dentist's office saying "They will have two fillings" and this one ranks as a classic. It shows a metaphor for women's and team unity. Another one has a geeky teenager taking Tisha Venturini out on a date, and Mia Hamm, Tiffeny Millbrett, and Briana Scurry come along.

There was a cheesy 70s ad for Bud Light with Brandi Chastain and Julie Foudy as "Charlie's Angels" type cops. Another Bug Light ad shows most of the team playing footy with various produce.

Right after the USA victory, an ad was filmed with Brandi Chastain and Kevin Garnett playing a foosball game. The hoopster was surprised that she didn't take off her shirt.

Mia Hamm did a few commercials for Gatorade. One has her pitting against fellow Carolina alum Michael Jordan. The others show her playing foosball with NFL star Peyton Manning, Vince Carter, and Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter.

adidas also showed a few ads featuring Kristine Lilly, Shannon MacMillan, Silke Rothenburg (German keeper), and Sun Wen playing soccer when they were kids.

adcritic.com used to have most of these clips. The best thing to do is to search the web. They are classics.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts