Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are facing Tunisia next:
Our team: http://www.uefa.com/competitions/WorldCup/news/Kind=1/newsId=398507.html

Changes for us:
-Gavrancic and Vukic are out with injures.
-Basta has been called up to replace Gavrancic and there is a good chance we will play the entire game.
-Marko Basa has been called up(possible replacement for Krstajic for euro2008)
-Vucinic back on the A-team

Tunisia squad:

Goalkeepers: Ali Boumnijel (Club Africain), Hamdi Kasraoui (Esperance).

Defenders: Hatem Trabelsi (Ajax Amsterdam), Karim Saidi (Lecce), Radhi Jaidi (Bolton Wanderers), Karim Hagui (Strasbourg), Jose Clayton (El Qatari), Alaeddine Yahia (St- Etienne).

Midfielders: Chawki Ben Saada (Bastia, France), Adel Chedli (Nuremberg), Kais Ghodhbane (Samsunspor, Turkey), Sofiane Militi (Kazintap, Turkey), Jawher Mnari (Nuremberg), Riadh Bouazizi (Kazintap, Turkey ), Hamed Namouchi (Glasgow Rangers), Karim Essidiri (FC Tromso, Norway).

Strikers: David Jameli (Bordeaux), Zied Jaziri (Troyes), Silva Dos Santos (Toulouse).

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
18 man squad

Goalkeepers: Dragoslav Jevrić (Ankaraspor A.S.), Oliver Kovačević (PFC CSKA Sofia).

Defenders: Dušan Basta (FK Crvena Zvezda), Ivica Dragutinović (Sevilla FC), Mladen Krstajić (FC Schalke 04), Nemanja Vidić (Manchester United FC), Marko Baša (Le Mans UC 72).

Midfielders: Dejan Stanković (FC Internazionale Milano), Igor Duljaj (FC Shakhtar Donetsk), Predrag Djordjević (Olympiacos CFP), Ognjen Koroman (Portsmouth FC), Saša Ilić (Galatasaray SK), Albert Nadj (FK Partizan), Danijel Ljuboja (VfB Stuttgart).

Forwards: Savo Milošević (CA Osasuna), Mateja Kežman (Club Atlético de Madrid), Nikola Žigić (FK Crvena Zvezda), Mirko Vučinić (US Lecce).

I guess the reports of Rambo Petkovic being called up were false.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Ljuboja moved into midfield and Vucinic in attack. Interesting. Not so long ago Duljaj was listed as defense. If Ljuboja keeps his midfielder label, I could Vukic replacing Nadj in this team and therefore both Ljuboja and Vucinic (and Milosevic) going to the World Cup.
I wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Never change a winning team...
Ilija Petkovic announced a familiar squad for the Tunisia friendly on 1st March

No Dejan “Rambo” Petkovic in the Serbia & Montenegro squad for the friendly against Tunisia next Wednesday, although Zvonimir Vukic is injured and therefore a midfielder missing and although a majority of the Serbian public opinion wants to see “The Pet” getting a chance in the national team. The Serbia & Montenegro coach instead has 5 strikers in the 18 man team for the first friendly match of the year. Besides the standard three strikers, who almost have a secure place in the Germany World Cup squad (Zigic, Kezman and Milosevic), Lecce’s Mirko Vucinic will get a chance to prove his qualities too. The 22 years old Vucinic had some brilliant performances last year, not only for his Serie A team, but also in the U21 selection, so that he truly deserved his second call up by Ilija Petkovic.

Two other “youngsters” will also get another chance to prove their value for the national team: Crvena Zvezda’s 21 years old winger Dusan Basta and Le Mans’ 23 years old defender Marko Basa. A prominent defender and member of the so called “Famous Four” will be missing though, due to injury, and that is Dynamo Kiev’s Goran Gavrancic. Gavrancic just recently started training with his Ukranian team-mates and therefore isn’t fit yet to be called up by Petkovic. "This is a very important match for us as we're beginning our preparations for the World Cup," said Petkovic. "I know what we have to do to win the game and I expect the players to perform at their highest level. Tunisia have improved a lot and every team that has qualified for Germany deserves to be taken seriously."

Squad:
Goalkeepers: Dragoslav Jevric (Ankaraspor), Oliver Kovacevic (CSKA Sofija)

Defence: Dusan Basta (Crvena zvezda), Ivica Dragutinovic (Sevilla), Mladen Krstajic (Schalke 04), Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United), Marko Basa (Le Mans)

Midfield: Dejan Stankovic (Inter Milan), Igor Duljaj (Shakhtar Donetsk), Predrag Djordjevic (Olympiakos), Ognjen Koroman (Portsmouth), Saša Ilic (Galatasaray), Albert Nadj (Partizan)

Attack: Savo Milosevic (Osasuna), Mateja Kezman (Atletico Madrid), Nikola Zigic (Crvena zvezda), Mirko Vucinic (Lecce, Danijel Ljuboja (VfB Stuttgart)

http://www.jadransport.org/articles/2550.html

·
Premium Member
27,245 Posts
It's all over for Rambo Petkovic, we will never know what happened it seems. The list is OK, but Oliver Kovacevic? :mad:

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Andrix said:
Ljuboja moved into midfield and Vucinic in attack. Interesting. Not so long ago Duljaj was listed as defense. If Ljuboja keeps his midfielder label, I could Vukic replacing Nadj in this team and therefore both Ljuboja and Vucinic (and Milosevic) going to the World Cup.
I wouldn't mind.
I'd rather Vukic replace Ilic instead of Nadj. I think we'll need more pit-bull type players and if Duljaj gets into problems with yellow cards or even an injury, we would be screwed without Nadj or even Nenad Kovacevic there.
That way, I'd keep the same squad basically + Gavrancic and Vukic and drop Ilic.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Outrage! Petkovic Not Called Up for Tunisia Match

If you felt the ground rumbling today you weren’t alone. The earth shaking was coming from Serbia and Montenegro where fans across the country where stomping their feet at the news that Dejan “The Pet” Petkovic was not called up for the team’s upcoming friendly against Tunisia. The Pet, who has gone from goat to hero in a matter of days on World Cup Blog, will not have the chance to show the world that he deserves a spot in Germany. While this is certainly disappointing news for the legion of fans out there who among other things have “The Pet” tattooed on their bodies, the reality is that this is a smart move. The Serbian coaching staff is counting on The Pet to be their secret weapon at the World Cup and they don’t want opposing coaches getting an early look at the legend in the making.

http://serbiamontenegro.worldcupblog.org/1/outrage-petkovic-not-called-up-for-tunisia-match.html

·
Registered
275 Posts
he is amazing. just looking at those goals you can see that he is best serbian player, without a doubt.. but i dont think we will see him at the world cup..i hope we will :)
a good thing is like u said use him like a secret weapon..when we have problems with the midfield example vukic will not be fit, ilic is to weak for WC ..so throwing him in second half or something would actually be good idea..he can create a lot

·
Registered
27,281 Posts
Rijeka Moraca said:
he is amazing. just looking at those goals you can see that he is best serbian player, without a doubt.. but i dont think we will see him at the world cup..i hope we will :)
a good thing is like u said use him like a secret weapon..when we have problems with the midfield example vukic will not be fit, ilic is to weak for WC ..so throwing him in second half or something would actually be good idea..he can create a lot
Nemanja Vidic is our best player, along with Dejan Stankovic. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Playing in Brazil is quite different than playing in Europe. In Brazil, there does not exist the same standard of excellence commonly found in the top leagues in Europe, where many of our players make a living. Scoring goals in Brazil against crappy defenders will not guarantee success against world class opposition. Look at Jestrovic as a distant example, the guy has basically dominated Belgium while he was there, but on the national team he was given many opportunities and failed to make a lasting impression. I'd be willing to bet that Petkovic would have a similar fate - come to think of it he already did.... sort of. Does anyone remember his brief stint in Serie A several years ago? At that time he was in his prime and apparantly one of the best players in Brazil, yet he struggled to find his place on a mid table Serie A squad.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Serb said:
Nemanja Vidic is our best player, along with Dejan Stankovic. :thumbsup:
hehe if you loook at their succes in european football, but if u look at it "ko najbolje zna fudbal" then it si petkovic.. i doubt stankovic can score those goals like rambo.. ;)

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Rijeka Moraca said:
hehe if you loook at their succes in european football, but if u look at it "ko najbolje zna fudbal" then it si petkovic.. i doubt stankovic can score those goals like rambo.. ;)
I bet he could if he played in Brazil.

·
Registered
27,281 Posts
Rijeka Moraca said:
actually, Stankovic has scored some beautiful goals in his career.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Just check out the goal he scored Vs Lazio the other week ;)

Or for some better ones check out the ones vs Roma and Milan a couple of seasons ago. Or his goal vs Kaiserslautern at Zvezda. You can take your pick their are plenty of crackers.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Also like to add that is quite a small squad if you take into account that 23 players go to the world cup. Even adding Vukic and Gavrancic, it means there are still 3 places up for grabs. We should take this as an early insight to what the squad will be like.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I'm looking at this team, and are we ever short on defense. I get nightmares just thinking of how we'll handle Holland without Vidic. And that's just without him, imagine somebody ekse goes down by then (I pray to God not) then we are definetly screwed. We've got a world class starting back 4, but zero depth.

·
Premium Member
27,245 Posts
Exactly. Holland and Argentina are teams that we would have trouble shutting down even with our starting defence. Let's not fool ourselves with the results from the qualifiers, coz these two teams are in a completely different league. IMO, the Dutch and Argentinians were always one of the top contenders for the title and without depth we will have to pray and hope for a lot of luck along the way..

I mean think about it, here we are talking about Vukic, Djordjevic etc. (all good players, no doubt), but damn, just look at Messi...That's a totally different class of player. In about a month, I will start praying for our team. They'll need all the help they can get.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts