Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THOUSANDS of plane, train and bus seats had been snapped up last night by poor East Europeans seeking a better life in Britain.

They are free to come here when ten new countries join the EU this Saturday, May 1.

But it is feared that in some areas overstretched UK services like schools and hospitals will be unable to cope with the influx.

Many are hoping to arrive on May 1 itself, the day when ten new countries join the EU — allowing 75million former communist bloc citizens to live and work in Britain.

The Home Office estimates that no more than 13,000 workers will come each year.

But others put the figure as high as 54,000 due to high unemployment in the East.

And there are fears services like schools and hospitals, already strained, will not be able to meet the new demands.

The rush to get here is typified in Poland, where airlines have cut prices to as little as £40 for a return UK ticket.

Air Polonia alone has bookings for about 4,000 migrant workers for May.

Warsaw-based coach operator Orbis expects migrants to fill 1,500 of its monthly total of 4,500 seats to Dover.

Once here, Britain and Ireland will grant rights for the EU’s new citizens to live and work from Day One.

The Government says there are half a million job vacancies here.

But other EU countries like France and Germany have ruled out free access to jobs for up to seven years.

East Europeans who find legitimate work in Britain — paying tax and national insurance — will qualify for a range of benefits.

These include free health care, child tax credit, child benefit, working tax credit, and housing benefit.

Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta and Southern Cyprus are joining the EU.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Tit for tat.

Sure the British system may see some short term strain on its services, in return British companys get access to all those emerging markets and hungry consumers. Rest assured the current deal would not be in place if it did not benefit the rich countries. Put another way, if the "tat" is the subject of your post, the UK gets an awfully big tit to play with.

·
Registered
210 Posts
How terrible....isn't that what you want to hear.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Immigration is excellent. Multiculturalism, and the subsequent fractured society, is not. The government should cease trying to reduce immigration, and start to integrate the new European ( :groan: ) citizens.

The measures employed by the other countries to reduce immigration from the accession countries are unlawful. They signed up for the EEC with full understanding of what it meant. De Gaulle, the beef ban, the Growth and Stability Pact, and now this. Anyone see a link?

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Bastin :rollani:

I'm sure that any eastern European immigrants can be much more easily integrated (they are already westernised to a great extent and yearn for more of it) than immigrants from Asia or Africa.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
That article is typical scare mongering BS.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
more of the article

Many of their struggling citizens harbour dreams of a better life in Britain — often leaving behind desperate conditions and discrimination in their impoverished homelands.

In some towns, families of 16 are forced to share squalid two-bed shacks.

While of those who do find jobs amid soaring unemployment levels, many are paid less than £100 a month.

The Sun travelled to the mountains of southern Poland and met gipsy “Roma” families who are desperate to flee vicious racism for Britain.

One dad of two told us: “Gipsies are discriminated against in Poland and I can’t find work. I will go straight to the job centre when I reach Britain. Friends say I’ll easily find a job — then I’ll send for my family.”

Another said: “I want to go to Britain on May 1. I will work on building sites, wash cars — I will do anything.”

Doctors, nurses and builders are also among those set to flee Poland, where unemployment among the 38million population is 18 per cent — four times higher than Britain.

The average wage is just £4,200.

Below are the stories of some of the Poles who plan to make a new start in Britain.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THE ROMA GYPSIES

MANY among Poland’s 50,000- strong Roma gipsy community have already made plans to leave as soon as they are granted new EU citizenship.

The Sun spoke to some of them in the remote Podhale mountains, 242 miles south of the capital Warsaw.

There, in small towns surrounded by rolling hills and thick pine forests, horse-drawn carts are still a common sight.

Yet jobs and money are hard to come by — and the Roma face terrifying attacks from local racists.

Dad-of-two Robert Mirga and his cousins Stanislaw Mirga, 25, and Miroslaw Ciureja, 28, are so desperate to reach Britain that they hope to arrive here on May 1 itself.

Robert, 34, has already lived in Britain as an asylum seeker after fleeing violent skinheads in Poland. He said last night: “I want to go there again on Saturday, I am trying to get a bus ticket.

“I can’t wait to get there. It is a wonderful country and the British are very friendly.

“I plan to stay with a friend in Barking. Then, once I’ve got a job, I will send for my family.”

Carpet seller Robert added: “I’ve suffered terrible abuse in Poland and cannot get a job. My wife is Polish and people here say a gipsy and Pole shouldn’t marry. Once skinheads attacked me, my wife and daughters in the street. They threatened to kill us.”

The 16-strong Ciureja family, who share a neighbouring two-roomed shack, are also desperate to go to Britain. They live on £286-a-month benefits and often go hungry.

Dad-of-three Jan Ciureja, 23, said: “There are no jobs here for Roma. I want to go to Britain on May 1. I’ll do anything to earn a living.”

In a nearby town, the Gabor family are packing their meagre belongings — which amount to just a few clothes and a violin.

Dad-of-four Miroslaw, 34, said: “I have been promised work as a labourer in East London.

“I’ll be able to support my family without claiming benefits. I plan to go to Britain next weekend.”

They claimed asylum in Britain in 1999 but returned for a funeral in Poland before the claim was processed. Lawyers advised that they would not get back into Britain.

Wife Lidia, 32, said: “We’ve had ‘Blacks Get Out’ daubed on our door by skinheads here in Poland.

“They would kick my door and shout threats at me and the children. I was terrified. I also got called names out shopping. There’s so much more tolerance in Britain. That’s why we want to return.”

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Q & A
What we'll
give them

HERE The Sun explains exactly what people arriving from the new EU countries will be entitled to in the UK.

Q If someone from the new EU countries arrives at the weekend and starts work immediately, will they be entitled to any kind of benefit straightaway?

A Workers from the new EU states will have the right to work in the UK.

They will have healthcare and education, plus in-work benefits like child tax credit, child benefit, working tax credit, housing benefit and council tax benefit

Those who do not work will not be entitled to benefits for at least two years.

This could be extended to seven years if necessary.

If they stop working, and have not been working for 12 months continuously, they will not be able to access any benefits at all.

If they have been working for 12 months continuously they will get full rights.

Q If a new arrival works, then loses their job, will they be able to claim dole?

A They will not get Income Support, Job Seeker’s allowance, State Pension Credit, social housing, Housing Benefit, or Council Tax Benefit.

Access to child tax credit and child benefit will also be restricted.

Q Will newly-arriving families be given any help towards accommodation?

A They have the same access to benefits as other EU workers.

Q What documents do they need to live here?

A A valid passport from their own country.

Q If a newcomer gets an illegal job on the blackmarket will they be entitled to any state handouts?

A No

Q Why has Britain allowed them to work here?

A The UK needs hard- working migrants to help our economy grow and to fill the Government estimate of half a million job vacancies.

Q Do any restrictions apply to all ten new countries joining the EU on May 1?

A They don’t apply to people from Malta and Cyprus because these are the richest of the new countries and have historic links to existing member states.

---------------

more here
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004191141,00.html

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
It's so rare that I get to say this....Bastin is right! In addition to the larger benefits I pointed out, the U.K. also gets an influx of new people who for the most part will be raring to work hard and contribute to the economy. They'll more than pay for the costs they generate.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Another thing this is also supposed to stop is illegal immigration and then such organised crime associated with it. If being an EU citizen they can be here legally, if they want to earn an honest living they can.

People working and providing for themselves is all well and good, but the ammount of immigrants caught deliberately breaking the law is rapidly rising. Usually once they get here and realise its not the land of milk and honey, and a large majority of British residents dont want them here.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Ya but what % of immigrants do those things?

Most are hardworking people, no? And you know that domestic gangs and criminals would be pretty much doing the same thing anyways...

·
Registered
55,830 Posts
well, in germany there r already about 1million+ immigrants from those new eu member countries, and those are mostly fully integrated into society, other as big part of the 3million+ turks , i dont see this as problem. anyway, i donot really believe that masses of people will come to the western euro countries. most of them come to tchörmenni anyways, as there is already löads of them.

more probable scenario: western companies emigrate to those east euro countries to build factories and create employment as there obviously it is much cheaper to produce and pay salaries.

industry is always attracted by cheap-producing places.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Andrija PFC said:
I'm sure that any eastern European immigrants can be much more easily integrated (they are already westernised to a great extent and yearn for more of it) than immigrants from Asia or Africa.
That's neither here nor there. The immigrants from Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean have not integrated. It is absurd to intepret what I wrote as meaning that; why you pick such an argument is beyond me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts