Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Club Atletico Independiente: A brief history (with thanks to FIFA.com)

In 1904, the managers of plush store "A La Ciudad de Londres" on the famous Avenue de Mayo founded the football club Maipu Banfield to participate in an inter-company league. However the younger employees of the store, despite having to pay their contributions, were only permitted to watch games and not to participate.

So on the 4th of August 1904 these disgruntled youngsters, led by Rosendo Degiorgi, met up in an old bar on the corner of the streets of Perú and Victoria, and decided to become "independents" by creating their own club. Little did they know they were on the threshold of forming one of the five great clubs of Argentina. Club Atletico Independiente was born.

Rosendo Degiorgi's family provided a small apartment on Montevideo street which became the club's first headquarters, and the club was officially registered on the 25th March 1905.

Initially, Independiente sported white shirts with blue sleeves. According to legend though, in 1908 the club's chairman Aristides Langone was so impressed by the football played by English team Nottingham Forest (on tour in Argentina) that he adopted their red colours. From the new red shirts the nicknames of Los Diablos Rojos (Red Devils) and El Rojo (literally, The Red One) caught on.

When the club moved to Avellaneda, the stadium was the first in South America to be constructed using cement. This led to the nickname of "Doble Visera de Cemento" despite the official name of "Libertadores de América". Today the capacity of the Doble Visera stands at around 57,000.

Independiente boast a partizan support and the fierce derby with local neighbours Racing Club stands as one of the most intense in both Argentina and in world football itself. Independiente's record in cup competitions is quite astonishing. Unquestionably the club's finest golden era came during the years of 1972-1975, where they won an incredible FOUR Copa Libertadores' in a row, a record never to have been bettered.

In addition to their triumphs in 1964 & 1965, as well as the more recent in 1984, the club has won this most prestigious trophy a total of SEVEN times. Again this has never been bettered by any side in the whole of South America.

In world football terms, Independiente have won the Intercontinental cup in 1973 by triumphing 1-0 over Juventus of Italy, and the 1984 Toyota Cup courtesy of a 1-0 victory over English side Liverpool.

Perhaps the most famous son of Independiente was the great Ricardo "El Bocha" Bochini, a mercurial playmaker who played 740 matches for the club between 1972 and 1991. He was unfortunate though to be rivalled by the legendary Diego Armando Maradona in his position, that he did not win more caps for his country. Other well known historical players include: Daniel Bertoni, Jorge Burruchaga, Ricardo Pavoni, Enzo Trossero and Jose Omar Pastoriza amongst many, many others.

More recently the club has provided European football with players such as Diego Forlan (Manchester United and Villarreal) and Gabriel Milito (Real Zaragoza) who was the defensive mastermind behind the club's most recent major trophy - the 2002 Apertura Championship - the latest of 14 National Championship victories.

Independiente have NEVER been relegated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today in 2006, the baton is now passed to potential legend-in-waiting Sergio "El Kun" Aguero (pictured above with the legendary Bochini) whom by great play or a huge transfer fee will surely make a major contribution to El Rojo. Let's dicuss El Kun and the club here in this thread :thumbsup: Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Professional Honours

First Division: 1938, 1939, 1948, 1960, 1963, Nacional 1967, Metropolitano 1970, Metropolitano 1971, Nacional 1977, Nacional 1978, Nacional 1983, AFA 1988-89, Clausura 1994, Apertura 2002

Copa Libertadores: 1964, 1965, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1984

Intercontinental Cup: 1973, Toyota Cup 1984

Other International Cups: Supercopa 1994 & 1995, Recopa 1995, Copa Interamericana 1973, 1974, 1975

Misc. Info

Stadium: Estadio Libertadores de America (57,000)

El Presidente: Julio Comparada

DT: Julio Cesar Falcioni

Official Site - English: http://www.independiente.com/pages/swf_htm/home.htm

Official Site - Castellano: http://www.independiente.com/paginas/swf_htm/home.htm

Wikipedia - English:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Atlético_Independiente

Wikipedia - Castellano:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Atlético_Independiente

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
CURRENT SQUAD (Apertura 2007)

Goalkeepers: Walter Assmann & Adrian Gabbarini

Defenders: Lucas Mareque, Ricardo Moreira, Guillermo Rodriguez Perez, Leandro Gioda, Marcos Ramirez, Carlos Baez Appleyard, Carlos Matheu & Matias Di Gregorio

Midfielders: Lucas Pusineri, Rodrigo Diaz, Gaston Machin, Daniel Montenegro, Matias Oyola, Hernan Fredes, Adrian Calello, Mariano Herron, Sebastian Carrizo & Damian Luna

Forwards: Jose Moreno Mora :star: German Denis :star: Cristian Ledesma & Victor Ismael Sosa

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Caceres is playing very well, not taking in account his age, he is being "inmature" in the best sense, playing like a kid.

Your keeper is great, even when lately in some moments he had a low, due to being that young and praise. Last two matches he recovered in great form, for moments he captures the ball with such grace, that an equivalent is a nutmeg.
He is solid in every department, and he plays with the flair of the greatest, finally one that respects the old and legendary keeper heritage of Argentina, that in these last 20 years made the world think we produce only normal or lousy keepers.

Aguerito is a genius in the making, but he NEEDS DESPERATLY a playmaker behind him, he can't do everything, and a more elaborate game by Independient would give Aguero even a bigger dimenssion, he sometims finds oil in water [in a 70's sense, maybe nowdays water is more precious sadly].

Machin alternates great moments with being invisible, same Biglia, both anyway tallented players and very young.

You missed Fabbro in the list of players Bocha, he is "atrevido" (irreverent), but he is making more errors than good things; still trying every ball, and with determination, plus enormous stamina.
Is a dworf and young (19), and might be burned due to not be mature, but certainly he is demostrating at least that he wants badly to succeed. Let's see what happens.

·
18,041 Posts
BTW Bocha, Independiente in the last 20's & 30's, had the most legendary forward line after la maquina from River [or even above perhaps], with players like Orsi [one of the first magicians we produced] the awesome paraguayan Erico, etc...

Other players like Ernesto Grillo [another monster of the game] also wear your t-shirt. You will be amazed if you find material about them, because of their talent, and their rocambolesc lifes, specially Orsi days in Turin. all of them easy Hollywood material.

No Maradona, Sivori, Di Stefano will exist if those fellows never appeared, are the first appearences in the genetic line of these monsters.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great stuff Fang, as ever. The more I find of Independiente's history, the more special a club it becomes. Quite magical :)

As for today's team thanks for your write-up it's much appreciated. Honestly I cannot remember ever seeing a truly great playmaker in Independiente. We had Insua but I recall he played more as a winger at the time, in Gallego's team. I was never a huge fan anyway, he always seemed to lose the ball too much. Maybe he is better now. Also I know that Damien Manso also filled the role for a while, but again he is not a Roman or a Gallardo.

You think the team are good enough to win the Clausura?

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
I'm not really sure, this the right place for this but still...

After Nicolas Frutos turned out to be a great hit at Anderlecht, les Mauves are now looking for a playmaker to replace Zetterberg next year. There are two possible candidates playing at Independiente: Sergio Aguero and Emiliano Armenteros. Certainly the interest for the latter seems to be concrete. Can you tell me something more about those two.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gOD said:

After Nicolas Frutos turned out to be a great hit at Anderlecht, les Mauves are now looking for a playmaker to replace Zetterberg next year. There are two possible candidates playing at Independiente: Sergio Aguero and Emiliano Armenteros. Certainly the interest for the latter seems to be concrete. Can you tell me something more about those two.

Par Zetterberg is still playing even to this day? :eekani: Wow I remember him from years ago.

I would say that Aguero is more of a forward. And without being disrespectful, Independiente will be looking for upwards of 15million Euros for him. Do Anderlecht have that kind of finance?

Armenteros, regretfully, I've never seen play :(

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Bocha said:
Par Zetterberg is still playing even to this day? :eekani: Wow I remember him from years ago.

I would say that Aguero is more of a forward. And without being disrespectful, Independiente will be looking for upwards of 15million Euros for him. Do Anderlecht have that kind of finance?(
Yes he's 36 and playing his last matches. Pär was a great player, a man that will go into the club's history, but he should have stopped 2 years ago.

15 mil Euros, now way Anderlecht can pay that. It's more than half of our yearly budget. The 3 mill we paid for Frutos was already a huge investment (but until now worth every penny).

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gOD said:
Yes he's 36 and playing his last matches. Pär was a great player, a man that will go into the club's history, but he should have stopped 2 years ago.

15 mil Euros, now way Anderlecht can pay that. It's more than half of our yearly budget. The 3 mill we paid for Frutos was already a huge investment (but until now worth every penny).
It's more likely to be Armenteros then. Aguero is a huge player in Argentina already, there would be uproad if he was sold off for anything less than 15m Euros. Fangio will definitely know more about him.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tonight it was:

Tiro Federal 0-2 Independiente

With goals from Eduardo Dominguez and Osvaldo Miranda - another win and yet another clean sheet. I'm really impressed by this defence performace during this tournament.

·
18,041 Posts
As for today's team thanks for your write-up it's much appreciated. Honestly I cannot remember ever seeing a truly great playmaker in Independiente. We had Insua but I recall he played more as a winger at the time, in Gallego's team. I was never a huge fan anyway, he always seemed to lose the ball too much. Maybe he is better now. Also I know that Damien Manso also filled the role for a while, but again he is not a Roman or a Gallardo.

You think the team are good enough to win the Clausura?

Well Garnero had the tendency of being iregular but certainly giifted. Burruchaga returned in not a bad form either years ago. And is Insua is one of those hybrids of actual football, more media punta than playmaker.
Nah Insua will always be the same, a russian roulet, not a bad player at all, but also I'm not fond of his style. He can be great if the team does not have to be on his shoulders.

The Clausura is irregular as the teams involve, anything can happen, but I won't bet on you till Aguero is not properly use. Your defense is working, certainly but is also thar squeme, the one that aislotaes Aguero and smetimes he has to cross and head himself. Your tough defensive system, cut a lot the wings of your best player. Anyway when you find:

1. Another Frutos (maybe MIranda), at least Aguero can play with some support up there, and be more of an assister.
2. If Miaranda works OK, and you find a playmaker/or at least mediapunta, thsi will releae Aguero for only support striker. In this last case? you will BE A TOTAL CANDIDATE, but I doin't think you will be that lucky.

Thanks
gOD, you already know it, in Xtratime? everywhere is the wrong place, what ends being as a good place as any, so of course it doesn't boher a bit.

Good to hear Frutos is doing fine, don't say it to Pooh, he will claim for a NT call.

Aguero as Bocha said is teh Messi of argie league, if you can pull out major bucks, but already is Barca, Real, Corinthians, Chelsea, etc...etc..
surrounding him.

Armenteros...skill no doubt, enough personality? dunno, he is llosing his chance in Independiente after teh coach who had him in his previous club, took him to Independiente. Maybe you get him, he is a good player.
Buut Aguero genius, Armenteros good, that is the distance between them.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Loco said:
Did we so soon forget about Roberto 'el toro' Acuña?
Paraguayan boy? That played for Zaragoza?

I never saw him play for CAI unfortunately, as he left before I started following Argentinian football.

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
Not only a mercenary but he was born and raised in Avellaneda! Moved to paraguay once he was told that his career would only go so far.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very interesting. I never had a clue about any of that. I feel like I'm truly growing with this thread :proud:

Did Acuña play at right-midfield too?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well Independiente will host River Plate tomorrow, and I expect we'll be in for our semi-annual thumping at their hands, seen as we cannot ever seem to beat Los Millionarios :googly:

Any team news from Argentina guys?

1 - 20 of 141 Posts