Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a week very positive for Juventus, as Marcello Lippi's team was able in just 90 minutes to cut half of the gap to Serie A leaders Inter, there is also someone not fully satisfied of how things are going for himself.

That's World and European champion Liliam Thuram, who joined Turin's club last summer for 37m Euro from Parma, but who thinks to not have been able yet to show his real value, especially since he is playing on the right side.

"It's the first season I play so often in this position and I didn't expect for that when I arrived here. I cannot say to be disappointed for the way I played throughout the championship, just because I couldn't play in the position I prefer"

"I had to sacrifice myself for the good of the team, and a professional player must be ready to do that if it's necessary. But my real position is that of central defender, in that role I can give out my best"

Thuram continued "I'll talk about that with the coach and with the club, I think we should evaluate the future. As I said I'm ready to make everything for the club where I play, but for sure I cannot risk to lose the passion for this sport"

The French tipped also a transfer is possible as he is in the middle of many transfer rumours

"If Manchester United or AC Milan should call me with the promise to let me play always at the centre of the defence, well, I have to admit I could think of the offer"

"But these are talks not in my mind at the moment, as I am a Juventus player and the target we have is not over yet. And then I'm sure this club will continue to work hard to strengthen our team even more: if they signed me last summer, well, they know why they did that!" Thuram concluded.

Really unbelieveble words from I believe one of the most respectful player in Serie A!Well,I thought he was a very intelligent person...:rolleyes:

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Joeyue, Lilian is an intelligent person. As much as I want him to stay and shut his mouth, I understand his whinning and what more normal than wanting to move when you always play out of position.

Although I and many others consider him to be the best on the right flank, he feels like a central defender and there's nothing you can do about it.

The only solution is to go for a 3men backline next season. but that is, unfortunately, not up to us. We can only pray.

:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's a shame he feels that way.IMO of the BIG 3 transfers,only Buffon has justified his move,with some outstanding displays.Sadly,to my eyes both Nedved & Thuram have been struggling for form.Although Pavel has indeed picked up his game,over the last couple of months,Lilian is still playing "within" himself.When he was in the centre of defence,he has been clearly culpable for qite a few goals.The most shocking thing to me,is how he could be out-run this season by several opponents:( .

Please don't get me wrong,i love the guy - at his best he is THE best,but the truth is when Ciro moved back into the middle,we started conceding fewer goals,and had greater assurance about ourselves.After all the hard work involved in bringing him here,i sincerely hope he stays.Maybe if we can guarantee Cannavarro joining us,then that would make him feel happier.Who knows?

But,we all know,nobody is bigger than the club - so if MU or Milan want to buy him,and we can get Veron or a good price - and let's face it,both those clubs are blessed with more money than sense - i think that the board would consider his sale.Still a shame though:depress: .

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i think its high time we let him play in the centre of defence.

I think the best thing to say to him is that we are reverting back to a 3 man defence which is his perfect role.

·
Registered
833 Posts
He's the best on the right, but not the best in the center. If he insist on playing in the center, sell him and let him show the qualities he thinks he has as a central defender elsewhere. You can not have a player worth his value to be unsettled after a year!

What amazes me is why he thinks he's a good central defender, he has played his best matches, at Juve and mainly before, as a right back:confused:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Sorry to say, but thats simply not true. Thuram has had his best years at Parma where he always was a central defender. He is a great player thats why he plays good as a right back, but he is a central defender and central defender is his best position.

Sort of like Nedved being a left midfielder. He may have not done good there for Juventus, but he is a left midfielder, not a trequartista.

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
Thuram should play in the centre of defence, unfortunately, we have selection problems at right back (Birindelli isn't up to the job, Zenoni has much to learn), and we have plenty of central defenders. At the moment it's a case of needs must. He should keep his mouth shut, though I do have some sympathy with him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts