Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 561 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the two big sport newspapers of Barcelona agree with something, I start to think that there's something moving behind the scenes.

This time both newspapers agree with one thing: Barcelona are in talks with the Portuguese coach José Mourinho.

I do know that the people of this forum (and also in Barcelona) are divided about this man. Some of us think that this would mean a betrayal to the club, a change in the phylosophy of the club, a change that would damage the difficult internal balance of the club. We all know about the insults we had to suffer from him in the past and we don't forget nor forgive this. He's also the face of the worst side of football, image and content, bad in all the senses. Besides, we fear his ego that put him over anything else, which may finish with an ugly division in all the levels of the club.

Some others hail his winning character, his tactical knowledge and his iron hand. Some others forgive the past and only want to look forward, thinking that this is the kind of coach we need nowadays.

Both newspapers state that there's nothing signed yet. But it's known that Txiki is doing things behind the scenes, preparing a B-plan in case things go wrong at the end of the season. With Van Basten in Ajax's hands, Mourinho appears as the first option in case Frank Rijkaard doesn't continue.

We talked about this in other threads, but it's time to focus in the discussion. How would you see the signing of Mourinho of Barcelona if it finally happens?

Personally, I'm 100% against it, although I have no doubts that I'd welcome him, since the most important is the club. But I have lots of doubts about the signing of the "translator", because I see a 2nd Louis Van Gaal in him and we all know how the club got destroyed after his 3 years, despite the titles.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
I think it would be very exciting. He has all he needs at Barca, all the stars he could want. And RM is getting bored at the top, someone should give them a run for their money.

Besides, you know all this personal stuff would evaporate anyway if he did come. It's just words, and actions speak louder than that.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
I think Mourinho learnt quite a bit at Chelsea.

He knows he cannot be continously branded as the enemy of football.

I think we should expect a more diplomatic, still principled Mourinho.

The only thing to consider is, if you want to give up your 'Beautiful Football'.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
I wouldn't like to see this happening because I agree on K4's analysis of his character. However this would be the real chance to see if the whole fuss about him being the best manager in the world is true or not. Should Barcelona be the "lab" where this test should take place? I hope not.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
Ronaldinho and Messi forced to defend in the penalty box... and then having them benched when they dont comply to the manager's plans...

no thanks

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
but i admit the prospect is exciting, he is world class

but he's always had fighting teams.. i dont know how he would manage a side with different qualities

being the football brain that he is, he will know that our players aren't suited to the style he played at Chelsea

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
I don't want him anywhere near the Camp Nou, although he is a world class manager, I can't seem him changing his entire strategy of dealing with the media or the players either. I remember once he took out Joe Cole 20 minutes in the first half because he wasn't doing what he was asked to do! Imagine he does that to Eto'o or Ronaldinho?!

He is a great tactician, but his style of football will not suit Barca at all. Unless he radically changes the way he behaved before, during and after matches then screw him, let him go to Valencia or a team which defends with 10 players in the penalty box after leading 1-0!!

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
I'd love to have him at Barca, assuming he changes every single element of his coaching style and personality.
so from this you actuly want someone else rather than Mourinho!! :lala:

for me I'd rather keep Rijkaard than starting to become from the team loved by a lot of fans around the world of other teams and a good spirit in us and our Club to become so hated as if we are RM or Chelsea!!

NO THANKS!!! :nono: :fero:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
He would be the perfect coach for Barca. We have the most talented squad in the world, we have worldclass everywhere.

To say Mourinho is a defensive coach is only one side of the coin - he knows how to defend but as long he can build a team on his own they were playing good football.

Porto showed some brilliant performances during there uefacup and cl win, scoring a lot of goals and outplaying teams like Manchester United. Chelsea played some good football during there first season, playing a 4-3-3 like we...
He was always respected among his players, they loved him and they would have done everything for him.

I think the prospect of him coaching us is mouth-watering - he has everything to suceed here.
And btw, i guess he knows that he isnt bigger than the club - he worked here, he knows the club and he stated several times that his team is "barca"...

As i write this, the reporter of the tottenham-chelsea cc final said, that mourinho is likely to become our new coach for next season...

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
FC Barcelona9 said:
I remember once he took out Joe Cole 20 minutes in the first half because he wasn't doing what he was asked to do!
Whats the problem?
Ernst Happel, of the best and most succesful coaches of all time, subbed a player twice.
After bringing him on, he subbed him after a few minutes because he didnt do what he wanted. :D

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hey, how will Mourinho deal with our cantera? We have a lot of wonderful youngsters up and coming and I want to know if Mourinho would let them have a chance to play for the 1st team like Rijkaard does.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Before we jump the gun. He is not hired yet and Rijkaard will hopefully/probably stay if we manage to win a big title. But then again it's also possible that Frank want to go out with a bang so of course it depends.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
as a madridista I have mixed feeling, I think your playing with a double edge sword, Mourinho will deliver titles but at what price and what players will he drive away and who would he bring in to match his philosophy...

To me the EPl the managers have more lime light as if they are bigger than the club and not sure how that will play out in spain.

one thing for sure el clasico will have more gas to the fire!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Why is everyone saying that a couple of player might leave?

He made Porto a Uefa Cup and Cl Winner - without buying topstars...
Of course he had to sell a few player he didnt want at chelsea, but that was because there were a lot of crap players...

ALL players from chelsea praised him till the end, no one was forced out from him...

·
In Exile
5,398 Posts
This one is really hard. My answer would be: I want Mourinho, but I don't want Mourinho.

I think Frank will leave anyway. If we win some titles, and we will, he'll leave with his head up, and I believe that's what he wants to do.

I would take Mourinho, if somebody guarantees that he'll adapt to Barca way. That he'll keep attractive and attacking style of play, that he'll care about cantera and our youth. I know it's doable. Will he adapt? That I don't know. I know he can make our players work harder and better. I remember when seeing Barca playing live (against Betis), I was surprised -- there are things you can't see on TV. I saw Ronaldinho and Messi nailed immobile near the out line, doing zero presure or zero movement without the ball, just waiting for - as we in Slovenia say it -- Virgin Mary to emerge. I said to myself, this is not Fatima, it's Nou Camp - move your ass. I understand that creative players of extra quality have the right of special freedom, but there are still limits. Anyway, I'm thorn on this subject.

The other thing is... the guy is venom. I like Rijkaard's gentleman way of doing things, and with Mourinho it would be constant moaning about refereeing, Mierda, weather, media, Franco, you just name it. It shouldn't be our style, it's Schuster style to mention referees after every game, but it shouldn't be ours. We met Chelsea twice per year, and he succeeded to turn every Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde, even Koeman4 went bezerk. What are we to expect, if he starts intoxicating Spanish football, Spaniards are passionate people, will he start another Civil war?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I don't fear more than bringing this ass-whole here would truly **** up are cantera. Most of our youth teams (if not all of them?) play 4-3-3 or 3-4-3. This is to follow the example of the first team so that the kids can blend in better with the A-team should they reach so high. This is a universal plan that most clubs follow and Cruijjf layed down (if I've understood it correctly. I think it's what he also intends to do to with Ajax?)

Playing 4-4-2 as I believe Mourinho would enjoy would certinly complicate things. Not to mention that Mourinho rather buys stars than promote a youth-team player. Chelsea have created a strong academy since buiyng up most of the bright talants from all the worlds corners, and yet he never gave any of them a proper oppertunity. With all a bright stars coming up thrue our ranks in recent years I don't want him comming here and screwing it up.

Say what you want about Frank Rijkaard but no other coach in the world has promoted so many youth players thrue the years as him. Not even Wenger. Rijkaard is a role-model for this. Mourinho is the opposite, and I know how much all of us cules love our academy. So NO to him.

And now I'm not even mentioning the shit he's has talked about our players when he was training Chelsea. I know most of you would say that it was only words and a show, nothing serious. But if a were Messi and I saw Rijkaard leave - a coach regarded by many in our squad as a near friend- for a person who has called me a cheat and diver, I definitely would look wierd upon that.

Mourinho has talked shit about our club and players for many years. I scertinly don't want him here.

If however he would come, he would have to win CdR, CL and La liga on his first year here for me to except him and excuse him for all the shit he's said about all our players.

1 - 20 of 561 Posts