Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today happens to be the 7th 'anniversary' of that dreaded day back in 2002. The day Gresko and Poborsky crushed our hopes and dreams, when the team collapsed, and some - including Ronaldo and Materazzi - broke into tears.

Possibly the worst memory an Interista can have, and I know it could well be a troll-magnet for the rival fans who need anything to make up for their teams' current disappointments, but I'd like to hear from my fellow Interisti how they dealt with that terrible day. Who did you watch the match with, what did you do afterwards, etc..

Personally I didn't watch that match, or any match from the season for that matter as I didn't have Serie A coverage for the whole of 01-02. Though I vividly remember rushing home to check good old livescore to find out the result of the 2nd derby, the one we won thanks to Vieri's bundled goal infront of Curva Nord. And how could I possibly forget the incredible comeback against the gobbi thanks to Seedorf, after all hope was lost..

Fast forward to 'it' again - I remember that a friend of mine (with whom I went to school) was an Interista as well. I called him while the match was on to know the latest: 2-1 to Inter he tells me. I'm quietly excited. I call him again and it's 2-2, he swears at Gresko, describing to me how he was the reason for the goal. The upcoming phonecall was the worst, as he breaks to me the news that it's 4-2. After all was lost, I recall sitting in my room, staring at the ceiling, doing nothing. Total emptiness.

So, after boring all of you to tears, I'd like to hear your stories, depressing as they may be.. hehe. :)

Btw, this thread is mainly directed towards people who take winning for granted nowadays, and don't acknowledge the suffering of the past.

Forza Inter. In good and bad.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
The 'good' times eh :nervous:

That day was such a terrible experience dude, I remember watching on an English channel (channel 4), at the time they were pretty big in their serie a over here and they had the Inter and the Juve match going simultaneously and just switching back and forth as the goals were going in.

I don't remember much about the actual game, I remember moments during the game such as Bobo scoring the 1st goal after a mix up in the box and me going wild as if the scudetto was all a formality now, then I remember Gresko making that mistake and Poborsky scoring but the whole of the Lazio fans not cheering at all as they were all for Inter to win the scudetto also in the same scene I remember Toldo on his knees as if he couldn't believe what happened.

The tv would then switch to the Juve game and the fans were going wild after the 4th goal went in and we completely lost our heads, Cuper taking off Ronaldo (tears streaming down his face and me following him) and putting on super sub Mimo Kallon :)proud:) and I was praying for him to get a goal like he always would.

But the thing I remember most about that day was probably Diego Simeone, I used to love him and then he scored the 3rd and I wished death on him at that moment. (I've since forgiven him :D)

After the game no one is my house said anything to me, for a few hours I was just in total shock, then I went up in my room chucked the Inter shirt on the floor and cried my eyes out.

After that day I have never been anywhere near as upset for any other occasion, the only one that really pissed me off since was losing to Valencia like a bunch of cowards in the CL.

·
Registered
67,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to drift off-topic, but I found the Villarreal elimination a whole lot more frustrating. Way more.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
that match broke my heart, really...speechless...and gresko officially became the worst player in the world...

but honestly, the CL matches that we got knocked out were bad...so frustrating and painful to watch...they just hurt us so much...valencia, villarreal, liverpool, man utd...hopefully, we won't experience the same shit again next year...

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
As a long time follower of this club, that lose not only put a complex on most fans of this great club, but I feel the club was cursed also. We were the "butt" of jokes from Juventino, Milanista, Romanista...basically all of Italy.

Now you imagine how Moratti felt.

The last number of years have been truely special, and regardless of the lack of success in Europe, this era will be looked upon very brightly, and I have some terrific memories from it.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
My worst moment was the CL semifinal of 2003, I actually felt we had the best chance of winning that year... and then Shevchenko scored... And I believed Kallon was sure to score in the last minute but he missed. That was really hard to take.

·
Registered
67,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The CL exit in 2003 didn't bother me much in all honesty, because going as far as the semis was good enough to me. We put up a real fight after levelling through Oba, but we paid the price for missing chances in the 1st leg (Recoba, or was it Crespo? don't remember exactly), when we were 'away' and ultimately the away goals rule decieded it. Both games were far from spectacles from what I can recall, only the last 15 minutes or so of the 2nd leg were thrilling.

·
Registered
67,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
The CL exit in 2003 didn't bother me much in all honesty, because going as far as the semis was good enough to me. We put up a real fight after levelling through Oba, but we paid the price for missing chances in the 1st leg (Recoba, or was it Crespo? don't remember exactly), when we were 'away' and ultimately the away goals rule decieded it. Both games were far from spectacles from what I can recall, only the last 15 minutes or so of the 2nd leg were thrilling.
But that loss was important in more ways than one... If we had won, it might have been us that dominated Europe for the next 5 years, not Milan. We had a good team then. Vieri was scoring goals, Crespo had a good season before being injured, Zanetti was still the best right back in the world, Materazzi was murdering Shevchenko at every given opportunity...

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I actually had a soccer game during that day/time. It was only a friendly so I remember the parents updating us on scores and one parent made a joke about Simeone scoring and 2 seconds later he actually did.

Myself and the coaches were pissed (as they were also interista).

Shit happens, what else can be said...

At the end of the day it's just a game and I was angry ... but I am in agreement that Villareal was much more frustrating as I was in Italy during that time. I went to watch Inter-Villareal in the first leg and remmeber them scoring early on killing the crowd. Although we won the game, little did we know that away goal would have killed us.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
The villareal exit I was astonished we had lost, I was already planning for plane tickets to Paris. I remember thinking arsenal and juve would be 2 teams we could take on in the semi encounter, so i thought i would gamble on cheap tickets early, didnt end up getting the plane tickets but I did pay for bus tickets to the airport. But the valencia game I was so angry at the way we lost I didnt find out about the after match fight until 12pm at night after coming back in from a drive to calm down :D

Liverpool and Man U didnt piss me off as I knew we were going in as 2nd best and by some distance.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I was the biggest Cuper Fan and he lost another Final, people dont remember but that was the Theme back them, Till this day I'm convinced that Poborsky was pay extra for that game, not that he needed because Gresko also made Luciano/Eriberto look like Maradona and Pele against us, it was a terrible year, it was when Ronaldo abandoned the team after we had waited for him so much.

This year Ibra will probably leave but us Inter fans are already prepared...

·
Registered
67,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But that loss was important in more ways than one... If we had won, it might have been us that dominated Europe for the next 5 years, not Milan. We had a good team then. Vieri was scoring goals, Crespo had a good season before being injured, Zanetti was still the best right back in the world, Materazzi was murdering Shevchenko at every given opportunity...
Nah, we weren't a good team back then. Overly reliant on Toldo and Vieri.

At the end of the day it's just a game and I was angry ... but I am in agreement that Villareal was much more frustrating as I was in Italy during that time. I went to watch Inter-Villareal in the first leg and remmeber them scoring early on killing the crowd. Although we won the game, little did we know that away goal would have killed us.
Wome :doh: :groan:

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I think a lot of supporters felt decimated after the lose to Lazio, more than the CL loses to Milan or Villareal, because it was such a long time since we had won the scudetto, and then to lose it like that, it seemed we would never win it again.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
For some strange reason, I guess Cuper probably, I had a feeling we'd choke, I didn't get to see the match live, so the moment I opened the paper the next day, there it was, first read about Bayer losing out to Dortmund and then about us.

·
Registered
47,980 Posts
Yeah, aside from what's been said, several moments in the 2000/2001 season sucked. The longest moment of these was just having Tardelli. Of course, there were a lot of good moments, but many bad ones. One that stands out the most was our loss to Juve when Zizou and Trezeguet tore us up. But by then, I'd already thought it was 98/99 revisited...but I'll talk about that later.

First, I want to mention the team's lack of mentality at the end of matches. Of course, there were again several great moments (Recoba magic :proud:) but under Lippi, we had defensive players who liked to let the opponents back in the game at the last minute. Our away game to Lazio (winning 2-0, with Recoba providing one, and let them get 2 goals at the death), our game against Bologna (free-kick by Recoba), Parma (finished 1-1), Reggina...etc.

Then there's the 98/99 season. 4 different coaches in a season? Simoni, under who we lost 3-5 to Lazio at home, then there was Lucescu, Castellini and Hodgson! West, Colonnese, Galante, Milanese defending!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had some good games...the win against Real Madrid, thrashing a Recoba-less Venezia 6-2 with the Ro-Ba-Za combo up front, Cagliari 5-1 (with a Djorkaeff hat-trick), beating Roma 4-1 and then 5-4 at the Olimpico. But a lot of the season wasn't very nice...the 1st leg against Man Utd, being possibly the worst moment of the season, for me at least (too many Man Utd supporters around me at the time). Then there was us just being a joke...losing 4-0 to relegation-bound Samp. Getting raped all over the place. And being incredibly silly - we loaned Recoba out to Venezia while we had an ultra-injured Ronaldo...when Recoba played for them, they beat us 3-1, with Recoba scoring one of the goals. We had no real answer.

Not much of a complaint about 97-98, except that I was gutted by the loss to Juve toward the end of the season. Of course, that was because of off-the-pitch matters, but how was I to know that justice would be served almost a decade later? :proud:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts