Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys noticed that a clash between Wolves and Leeds is more exciting than a clash between Milan and Juve. When Mutu and Crespo moved to the EPL last year people were claiming they will score for fun. It isn't happening. Beckham is suddenly a king when playing for Real but he was the most overrated player when playing in EPL. He is still the same Beck. One dimensional and only good in free kicks. Why is it that he is suddenly the best player in Madrid even though he does exactly the same thing he was doing at United. People are really underrating the EPL. I still say its' the most exciting league out there. The most annoying thing about Serie A and La Liga is that players don't stay and their feet and the referee is always stoping play. For some of us who only have RAI and don't speak Italian we can't stand serie A. Our local station was showing Italian football till a season before last but they have given up. No one seem to be interested in serie A.

D

·
0 Posts
Zidane is the best player in Madrid by a distance, then Raul, then Ronnie

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Garrincha said:
Raul? He has been quite poor this season...
Garrincha why argue? Zidane also has been very inconsistent, this season I think Figo and Ronaldo contribute more. Figo makes some bad decisions but he fights the whole game and creats some good spaces.

calcio100 said:
Beckham is suddenly a king when playing for Real but he was the most overrated player when playing in EPL. He is still the same Beck.
King? He is supposed to be playing as a DM, he had a couple of good games specially in CHL against that french team. But aside from that he has been a bit lost, he is playing out of position. Just read the interview Helguera gave about him :rolleyes:

"desde que se fue Makelele no tenemos gente que pueda hacer su función defensivamente, porque Beckham trabaja, pero no es tan defensivo. Necesitamos un medio que robe balones”

EPL is a good league but why do you have to bash another league to prove your point?

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I wouldn't bother getting out of bed to watch Wolves v Leeds :yuck:

Beckham will do well in La Liga
especially at the Bernabaue,because there is so much room in midfield compared to the EPL,he has always thrived on space,a bit like Veron,when he is closed down quickly is when he is in trouble because he doesn't possess a feint or a dummy to buy more room,if he plays against United in the CL when Keane is up his arse he will be invisible,why do you think Fergie played him wide right all the time?

Mutu has scored about 7,not too bad for a support striker,Crespo is almost permanently injured but has got goals when he has played.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
calcio100 said:
Have you guys noticed that a clash between Wolves and Leeds is more exciting than a clash between Milan and Juve. When Mutu and Crespo moved to the EPL last year people were claiming they will score for fun. It isn't happening. Beckham is suddenly a king when playing for Real but he was the most overrated player when playing in EPL. He is still the same Beck. One dimensional and only good in free kicks. Why is it that he is suddenly the best player in Madrid even though he does exactly the same thing he was doing at United. People are really underrating the EPL. I still say its' the most exciting league out there. The most annoying thing about Serie A and La Liga is that players don't stay and their feet and the referee is always stoping play. For some of us who only have RAI and don't speak Italian we can't stand serie A. Our local station was showing Italian football till a season before last but they have given up. No one seem to be interested in serie A.
There are so many things you didn't consider when writing that pile of garbage.

1) 90% of all EPL goals come from defensive errors rather than good play.

2) There were people who said that Beckham was one dimensional BUT THEY WERE IN THE MINORITY. Most of whom addmitted they never really had seen Beckham play a full-match.

3) For those of us who have Eurosport, you will find Italian football is growing in support, knowledge and interest.

5) Mutu and Crespo aren't scoring for fun for two reasons

(a) Mutu is a MIDFIELDER, not a striker. Typical EPL managers always play players out of position.

(b) Crespo's not scoring because he doesn't start regularly and needs to get used to the pace of English football, the English game is played at pace because it has no quality and has to rely on pace to keep the fans entertaine.

6) Players don't stay on their feet in italy and Spain? Here's a few names to jog your ditzy memory:

Francis Jeffers
Ruud van Nistelrooy
Ashley Cole
David Dunn
Robert Pires

These are all first rate divers and they don't play in Italy or Spain. The games are constantly stopping in the EPL because of referees like Uriah Rennie. How the hell did he get a job as a ref?

My final point:

The reason the EPL is lacking in quality is because of the amount of foriengers brought to the game. Credit to Ranieri, at least he brought some English players.

Why don't you take some time out and WATCH other leagues and see some real quality rather than wrap your head up in to bias over-the-top BskyB broadcasting?

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
That is so wrong Jern, I see a lot of similarities between La Liga and EPL. I think both play very fast football and give very little time for CM/DM to think, EPL is a bit more kick and rush and it seems like they are always playing in counters (esp Arsenal) but today very few teams can pass the ball around in La Liga none is giving space and there are some quality defences.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Re: Re: In defense of EPL

Firenze said:
There are so many things you didn't consider when writing that pile of garbage.

1) 90% of all EPL goals come from defensive errors rather than good play.

2) There were people who said that Beckham was one dimensional BUT THEY WERE IN THE MINORITY. Most of whom addmitted they never really had seen Beckham play a full-match.

3) For those of us who have Eurosport, you will find Italian football is growing in support, knowledge and interest.

5) Mutu and Crespo aren't scoring for fun for two reasons

(a) Mutu is a MIDFIELDER, not a striker. Typical EPL managers always play players out of position.

(b) Crespo's not scoring because he doesn't start regularly and needs to get used to the pace of English football, the English game is played at pace because it has no quality and has to rely on pace to keep the fans entertaine.

6) Players don't stay on their feet in italy and Spain? Here's a few names to jog your ditzy memory:

Francis Jeffers
Ruud van Nistelrooy
Ashley Cole
David Dunn
Robert Pires

These are all first rate divers and they don't play in Italy or Spain. The games are constantly stopping in the EPL because of referees like Uriah Rennie. How the hell did he get a job as a ref?

My final point:

The reason the EPL is lacking in quality is because of the amount of foriengers brought to the game. Credit to Ranieri, at least he brought some English players.

Why don't you take some time out and WATCH other leagues and see some real quality rather than wrap your head up in to bias over-the-top BskyB broadcasting?

Excuse me while i fall asleep..........

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Liternit said:
That is so wrong Jern, I see a lot of similarities between La Liga and EPL. I think both play very fast football and give very little time for CM/DM to think, EPL is a bit more kick and rush and it seems like they are always playing in counters (esp Arsenal) but today very few teams can pass the ball around in La Liga none is giving space and there are some quality defences.
i don't agree with that i've watched all Madrid's games and the room Beckham gets on the halfway line he just wouldn't get in EPL,La Liga may look fast to a Brazilian,but to an Englishmen it looks slow,sometimes they change the play three or four times without going forward.

also the EPL is far more physical,our refs don't call as many fouls,Keane and Scholes particularly get away with murder because they play for United :D

·
Registered
45,466 Posts
calcio100 said:
Have you guys noticed that a clash between Wolves and Leeds is more exciting than a clash between Milan and Juve.
Oh well, there are people who find fat 50 years old bitches more exciting than Monica Bellucci and Laetitia Casta, so I'm not surprised...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
i don't agree with that i've watched all Madrid's games and the room Beckham gets on the halfway line he just wouldn't get in EPL

That`s because football fields are larger in Spain than in England. Especially the Bernabeu.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Actually, Old Trafford and the Bernabeu are almost exactly the same size. For some reason the camera angles make the pitches in Spain look huge.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
mutu1875 said:
Actually, Old Trafford and the Bernabeu are almost exactly the same size. For some reason the camera angles make the pitches in Spain look huge.
When EPL is screened they show the pitch from a much lower angle than in spain and Italy. It is also more closer pictures. Which makes EPL look even more frantic than it is.

Calcio100 is trying for some record in worthless threads.

Firenze, why answer ignorance with ignorance?

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
I keenly follow the EPL, La Liga, Seria and Le Championnat. The EPL seems to me to be very scrappy and the games between the big sides really doesn't live up to the hype and quality that it should possess. I'm speaking as a complete neutral here as well. EPL, when watching Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea is great when teams don't sit back and defend against them, when they defend it's the worst football ever, 11 men behind the ball and hit them on the counter. Talk about Catanaccio:rolleyes: :tongue:
The goals are usually quite scrappy but you do see the rare good goal. The game in the cup tonight was great between Man City and Spurs but you'd expect that from the history the two teams have. The EPL have Henry and he is so much to Arsenal and English football in general, didn't Juve make a mistake!!

Serie A, a slower brand of football, but all the same very attractive. I watch every game Live on Eurosport UK and enjoy them, the goals are great and do not come from mistakes, apart from the Roque Horrow Show on Sunday night. You also get to see players who have individual brilliance, something that is a rarerity in the EPL. Besides Okocha, Henry and occasionally Mendieta or Juninho you rarely see a player with skills. In Serie A there is Shevchenko, Del Piero, Recoba, Totti, Baggio, Rui Costa, Nedved, the list goes on while the defenders also don't play the ball long but are comfortable and can take the ball out of defence, the only english player I've seen do this is Rio.

La Liga is my favourite league, the football is quite fast paced but the skills on show are extraordinary, no matter who you watch it will be an entertaining match, whether it's Albacete Vs Murcia, Real Sociedad and Celta Vigo or Barca VS Real. The goals are amazing each and ever week. The goal that was scored last week was amazing, I can't remember by who but the ball came in the guy played a back heel and the guy voleyed it from the edge of the box top corner, beautiful.

LC is also a very entertaining league to watch, the football that is of high tempo and quality, the atmosphers at games is unique and PSG are finally doing well. No surprise since Halihodzic, Boskovic and Ljuboja have came along
:D ;)

Beckham is a work horse in Real, that is the only reason he is successful, he works for the team, kinda like Makelele did, he has no individual skill and although if first few appearances were good he has sort of peetered maybe because of injury but the English media claim he's an idol at real, I very much doubt it, I'd Raul an idol and Mijatovic an idol but not Beckham.

Mutu and Crespo would score loads of goals, if Ranieri stayed with them, but the "tinker man", (he calls himself that now) rotates too much. As for buying English, players, who apart from Lampard, who's been there a few seasons, are all average players, you can buy foreigners for much cheeper but of much higher quality eg. Stankovic went for €4 m to Inter, all be it his contract was running out but he would have added so much more than Scott Parker, Joe Cole or any midfield player Chelsea have in fact.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts