Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

...and after receiving school board Eid al-Fitr, and Yom Kippur well wishes and celebration emails through the school year...what is this winter break, festive holiday, pyjama, bow & bell, red-white-green day?

Do I send my youngest to school dressed as a Calabrese nonna with a recurved bow?

·
Registered
20,290 Posts
View attachment 69779

...and after receiving school board Eid al-Fitr, and Yom Kippur well wishes and celebration emails through the school year...what is this winter break, festive holiday, pyjama, bow & bell, red-white-green day?

Do I send my youngest to school dressed as a Calabrese nonna with a recurved bow?
SP, garbage like that is why I send my kids to Catholic schools to avoid that crap and the Wynne/Trudeau deviancy crap as well that goes down in the public boards. At my kids school, its normal to say Merry Christmas and they are taught to keep Christ in Christmas. At the very least, consider for high school sending your kids to Catholic schools...all 3 in Oakville are very good. We have Serb neighbours that send their kids to Catholic hs for that very reason, the Christian aspect. And they love it there. I'd say if not Catholic schools then private, though everyone I knew at uni from private schools weren't anything special. *

*though I am one to talk, night shift at Tims isn't exactly making it big. (

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SP, garbage like that is why I send my kids to Catholic schools to avoid that crap and the Wynne/Trudeau deviancy crap as well that goes down in the public boards. At my kids school, its normal to say Merry Christmas and they are taught to keep Christ in Christmas. At the very least, consider for high school sending your kids to Catholic schools...all 3 in Oakville are very good. We have Serb neighbours that send their kids to Catholic hs for that very reason, the Christian aspect. And they love it there. I'd say if not Catholic schools then private, though everyone I knew at uni from private schools weren't anything special. *

*though I am one to talk, night shift at Tims isn't exactly making it big. (
While I have no issues with cultural grants/bursaries (often tied to religious) I'm completely against publicly funded religious schools. Catholic schools served their purpose (was it part of Lower Canada protection policies during the first constitutional act?) but that was a long time ago. Not too dissimilar from collectivist unions -- they served their purpose and now should be outlawed.

After the mandatory religious education courses were dropped, I know two Serbian families that send their kids to Catholic schools. Others are going the private school route. Personally, I can't afford the $35K per annum per student cost (two kids @ $70k). So, I'll just keep writing about my displeasure and withhold any extra monetary support from the public school system

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm on my third bottle of Pohjala coffee porter (Estonian beer).

·
Registered
20,290 Posts
Private schools at $35k/year? Wow...what a waste. Even university with room and board doesn't cost that much.

PS Does your kids school also celebrate Festivus?

·
Registered
55,052 Posts
I don‘t know what that is. I only know Helles, Dunkles, Pils and Weizen. out of which I only drink Helles (I think that‘s what you call Lager, not sure though). Dunkles is too sweet, Pils too bitter and Weizen blows you up like a balloon.

·
Registered
15,414 Posts
I don‘t know what that is. I only know Helles, Dunkles, Pils and Weizen. out of which I only drink Helles (I think that‘s what you call Lager, not sure though). Dunkles is too sweet, Pils too bitter and Weizen blows you up like a balloon.
When most people say "lager" they mean Pils (and probably don't know what Helles is).

Czech Pils are usually not as bitter as German, IMO.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts