Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I was 9 or 10 the weakest area of my game has been my first touch. Although it's not especially important for the role I play (SW/DC/DMC) I think its about time I at least tried to sort it out.

So, any ideas how I can improve my first touch? I'm more interested in drills that will help me control it better with my feet, although my chest and thigh control isn't great either. :(

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
I suffer from the same problem, well I'm not that talented in other aspects of my game, but I can give some tips that I apply to myself when I train alone,

for your feet, keep hitting the ball against a wall, hit the ball, and try to handle it as if you are defending, and an opposition player is behind you, and keep on doing that..
ps. hit the ball as hard as you can :)

for your chest control, hit the ball upwards (into the sky), and try to chest it down, and keep the ball as close as possible to your feet..
ps. here try to hit it as high as you can, but first, not too high, as it might hurt your chest when you try to control it

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
for a better first touch
hit the ball side to side using the inside and outside of you foot

do this with your weaker foot for say 10mins
and then with your stronger foot for 5mins(or how long you feel like doing it).
but always make sure you have try to have complete control of the ball and give more time to your weaker foot

you can even do this in you home on the carpet

after you start getting the feel for the ball, start dribbling through cones etc

occasionally try dribbling a rugby ball and try to play football with it.
trust me, it makes you more comfortable with a football

practice practice practice
you have to become a perfectionist to become a great player

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
I think the problem may be that you are too nervous or maybe panicking, since you are last man back most of the time, it wouldn't be too surprising.

And maybe you are already thinking pass the ball as soon as you get it.

you just have to calm down, you have to put your foot on a slant so it meets the ball.

you have to also move, that is a key.

If you are just standing, and the ball is moving kind of fast, you are still and the ball has motion, it doesn't work well, it bounces of you.

If you are on the move, and you slant your foot the proper way,(to receive pass) and you are calm, it should be no problem.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i think i got my touch down because when i was like 8 i used to kick the ball off a wall as hard as i could and try to sweep trap it and now i got a good tuch i donno little things that you do help alot be confident when you get the ball and dont worry about messing up you no what i mean half the battle is telling yourself you can do it

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
raul7 said:
my fisrst touch is pretty good but as somebody mentioned i also do lack a lot of confiedence.
Go touch yourself man, i know theres aint a field in Kabul.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Narentino said:
Go touch yourself man, i know theres aint a field in Kabul.
woah woah calm down with that man anyone can help out dont be all hateful and stuff

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
confidence is always a big problem.

I always used to bluster past people a few years ago, but I stopped playing for a while and now I find it hard to beat people.

Imagine that you are better than the person, you will have instant control and drive past them. I did this the otehr week, and I have been much improved... that's why I am the ultimate utility player :).

·
Registered
395 Posts
The only way to effectively improve your first touch is by playing small-sided games. Otherwise, you won't get used to the pressure and the speed.
The only thing you can do to calm down on the pitch is try and stay within yourself. What I mean by this is that you can't try and do too much. Before the game, just visualize yourself recieving the ball, taking a touch, and playing it safely to another player.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I too think that visualising is the key to good ball controll. Sometimes I´ve been months without touching the ball, but still could have perfect controll over ball (if in the right mood). Also you should learn how to cushion the impact of the ball by just bouncing the ball around and get the feel for it. Also what´s the record you guys have "bounced" the ball simultaneously? Mine´s 702 by using both feet as much (as a kid when I had the patience)!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
NEO said:
I too think that visualising is the key to good ball controll. Sometimes I´ve been months without touching the ball, but still could have perfect controll over ball (if in the right mood). Also you should learn how to cushion the impact of the ball by just bouncing the ball around and get the feel for it. Also what´s the record you guys have "bounced" the ball simultaneously? Mine´s 702 by using both feet as much (as a kid when I had the patience)!

702?

wow that's good..

My best is like 60, but i've never been good and never really tried. Also I lack concentration and before to long i'll be thinking of something else while keeping up a ball.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My first touch is one of the best parts of my game, we are trained in it vigourously at footy training! (I play for the AS Monaco U-17s)

My advice is to be confident. Feel where you are going to take the touch (in your mind that is!) and have no worries or regrets when you take it.

A good way to practise is with a tennis ball. If you throw or kick it against a wall and try to control it, it is a lot more difficult than a football due to its size and weight. Once you get confident with that move onto a football.

A good first touch is essential for me (as I am a striker) and it often gives me that extra time needed to find a teammate or let off the shot. Look at Henry's first touch last night against Portsmouth for the first goal: it gave him acres of space and an easy finish for the goal. (for him anyway ;) )

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
i see we have a pro among us :)

champdave, care to share a little about your training everday?
like what kind of drills they make you do in a day? that would be very interesting to hear..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Haha, not quite a pro yet, I've only just turned 16 and plan to go on to higher education and uni. (preferably an English uni)

I train 4-5 times a week for about 3-6 hours, with a match on Sunday. We do many drills: the "uptake" of new youths is in January here so now we are doing a lot of fitness training. Bleep tests, short sprints, long sprints, a lot of physical stuff. Thankfully I am the quickest!

Other times we mainly concentrate on technique and passing. First touch, vision, use of the flanks, through balls, how to weight a pass properly is being drilled into us all!

Afterwards we usually spend a while on your weaker foot and heading the ball. Tennis balls at the ready for weaker feet, as you often find you need a good technique on a smaller ball to get the sweet spot. I am almost both-footed after doing this for 3 or 4 years. (when I started out my left foot couldn't hit the side of a barn! Now I am still prone to occasional screw-ups but not too many)

Next there is a skills-specific training. As I am a striker, there is little point learning how to get inch-perfect tackles all the time so I am currently working on improving shooting power, accuracy, technique (e.g. volleys, overhead kicks) and dribbling.

Finally it is a short game of 5-a-side or sometimes an indoor game. Indoor games and 5-a-side promote awareness and tactics, as there is a confined space and it is very fast-paced. One deadly ball can result in a goal.

As for the matches . . . well, we play 4-4-2 (as usual) and Monaco U-17's beat En Avant Guinamp U-17's 4-1 on Sunday! (I scored twice, yay)

I'm shattered at the mo, the fitness training really takes it out of you. But it gets you into shape and I think that you can never perform up to oyur best unless you are in top fitness. Try running up and down the pitch 10 times (each way) and maintain a steady pace! :stress:

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Try playing 5 a side on a small court/pitch, relax when the ball comes to you and think about what you are going to do when you get it. When you are playing in a confined space, you must control and release the ball as quickly as possible. Doing this a couple of times a week will improve your touch after about a month.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
I have a quite good first touch, but I guess I always have had.

If your in a small area, I tend to do kick up's - one left, one right, for a fairly long time. Even bring it up the body - left foot, right foot, left knee, right knee, chest, header.

If you have more space try hitting the ball say 10/15 foot in the air (or higher), and bringing it down close to your body.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts