Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Accused Oceania football chief 'protests innocence'

WELLINGTON (AFP) - A FIFA official from Oceania who is accused of offering to sell his vote in the 2018 World Cup bidding insists he was innocent and is vowing to clear his name, it was reported Wednesday.

Oceania Football Confederation (OFC) president Reynald Temarii said he was quoted out of context in a British newspaper expose which alleged he solicited money in return for his vote, the website insideworldfootball.biz reported.

"I am 100 percent convinced of my integrity … I will prove I am an honest man," he told the British-based website.

The Sunday Times alleged it filmed Temarii, who is also a FIFA vice president, demanding 2.3 million US dollars to set up a sports academy in Auckland from undercover journalists posing as bid lobbyists.

He and Nigeria's Amos Adamu have been summoned to appear before FIFA's ethics committee in Zurich later Wednesday as part of a probe into the newspaper sting.

Temarii said the footage released by the Sunday Times did not give a true picture of what occurred.

"You have only heard 15 seconds of the interview," he said. "Maybe you should hear the full 45 minutes, then you will understand everything."

Temarii, a former player for French club FC Nantes, represents Tahiti and has headed the Auckland-based OFC—which mainly consists of small Pacific island nations—since 2004.

Any deals during the bidding process for a World Cup are banned under FIFA rules, but the Sunday Times said six senior officials, past and present, had told reporters that bribery offered the best chance of landing the tournament.

The nations in the running to host the 2018 World Cup are England, Russia, Spain-Portugal and Netherlands-Belgium. For 2022, the contenders are Qatar, Australia, the United States, Japan and South Korea.

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts
Ha ha ha härligt gjort Fille. Det är ju sånt här som uppstår när FIFA sätter så mycket makt i händerna på så få. Om FIFA var lite mer demokratisk så skulle man kunnat kontrollera korruptionen lite bättre, men nej då får ju kanske Sepp Blatter inte lika fina siffror på kontot.

För övrigt tycker jag att kartago ska krossas. Nu kör vi

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha ha härligt gjort Fille. Det är ju sånt här som uppstår när FIFA sätter så mycket makt i händerna på så få. Om FIFA var lite mer demokratisk så skulle man kunnat kontrollera korruptionen lite bättre, men nej då får ju kanske Sepp Blatter inte lika fina siffror på kontot.

För övrigt tycker jag att kartago ska krossas. Nu kör vi
:D

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Det är ju sånt här som uppstår när FIFA sätter så mycket makt i händerna på så få.
I don't think it's an issue with so much power in the hands of so few. If FIFA wasn't such a corrupt organization as a whole then things like this would be less likely to happen. Everyone knows Sepp Blatter is hopelessly corrupt but no-one can do anything about it apparently. It doesn't really surprise me that Temarii would be involved in something like this, though. I'm really hoping Fred de Jong can eventually become OFC president. I think he'd do a lot of good for the game right across the confederation, and I'd actually trust him to put the good of the game ahead of his own personal gain.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Yeah, foreign language posts are a no-no, XT is an English language forum. Always one of the few rules I'd like to see enforced more often.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Banned for 12 months which is fine by me, but what's unfair is this means Oceania doesn't get a vote in the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosting votes.

·
Greta joke sharer
23,431 Posts
I haven't read the whole thing. But it looks important. I also think that FIFA needs to stop bullying Oceania. We haven't done anything wrong!

·
Greta joke sharer
23,431 Posts
Where the hell did my "s" in "ramifications" go? :confused:

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Does seem a tad of an over-reaction from FIFA.

·
Greta joke sharer
23,431 Posts
I certainly hope Oceania gets a vote. The actions of Temarii shouldn't rob an entire confederation of their voice.

Thread title now with added "s" :)
Top notch moderating! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts