Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a massive game. A game shown all around the world. A chance for Portuguese football to show the world that it is not as bad as they think.

What happens?

Only one team tries to play football. The other plays so defensively they only commit 3-4 players to any attack.

Why does a team with nothing to lose play so negatively from the start?

They continually foul the opposition breaking the game up so it can't flow.

The result:

A awful match. Portuguese football's image has now sunk even lower.

Thanks alot Benfica.

I don't want to hear ANY Benfica fan moaning in the future about Portuguese football being seen as a joke by foreigners.

·
Registered
964 Posts
And some team gos and loses 7-0 in europe some teams with such a great past are now throwing portuguese soccer in the bin.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Get a grip on reality there fellas...FC Porto proved in the CL that portuguese football is still top quality, they should be playing in the semis and not Bayern! Our select team is one of the best to watch because of the players and style and will prove it again in Euro 2000!

There are at times ugly football and great football, but this game is still played by professionals and your Sporting was not up to par this weekend. Benfica won ugly but they won and if your Sporting is as great as you all claim they should have hammered the Eagles and they couldn't!

So live with it and stop bitching about the quality of football!

BTW please don't choke against Salgueiros as I still would like to see someone other than Porto win the League!

------------------
Viva o Benfica!

[This message has been edited by RedEagle (edited 09-05-2000).]

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Redeagle, i'm talking as a football fan who likes good football. Why was your team so negative?

nothing to do with the result or team allegiances.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Paulo we may have lost 7-0 to vigo but at least we didnt lose 3-0 to part timers!
As for the image of the game, I rather prefer winning.
We played negative so what we won and sporting tried to attack but they were stopped.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fine SLB.
I don't want to hear you complain when the Spainish etc say the Portuguese league is of a low standard, is a joke and is boring.

Portugal has just about the lowest goals per game of any league in europe.

If you think Benfica are going to return to the cream of Europe with your philosophy you must be insane.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
O.k 2 things here winning is more important than image. Yes i dont like it when the spainish, english, italians start slagging off our league but lets face it our league isnt as good and yes performances like benfica wont help but winning is more important secondly you cannot criticise benfica and say sporting have done a lot for the image of portuguese football because you lost 3-0 to part timers and havent done much better in europe in the past.

D

·
0 Posts
The Portuguese League never has been respected by Europeans and probably never will be. Porto, Sporting & Benfica are all capable of winning a European trophy in the future, but the problem lies with the Setubal's and the Santa Clara's of the league.
I think the league is increasingly looking like the Scottish League where the poor teams are just not capable of even running the big 3 close. Living in England, I know how much the Scottish League is criticised. People judge our league according to how well our clubs do in Europe, and they won't bother to look at the results involoving Portuguese teams in the 1st Round of UEFA competitions.
At least Porto salvaged some respect from another poor display from Portuguese clubs in Europe.

Why would a European think we have a good league with these results?

Viking 3 Sporting 0
Benfica 0 Rapid Bucharest 1 :)
Benfica 1 PAOK 2 :)
Roma 7 Setubal 0
Beira-Mar 1 Vitesse 2
Celta Vigo 7 Benfica 0 :)

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Dani, those are some well placed :) 's if you ask me.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

http://www.fcporto-online.com

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Dani where abouts in england do u live.
As u live in england i would have thought u would want the portuguese teams to do well otherwise u get the english on your back about how good the EPL is and how crap the primeira league is.

D

·
0 Posts
Yes SLB that's right, I do want Portuguese teams to do well in Europe but couldn't help laughing at some of the results :)
When FCP lost 4-0 to Man U there was a lot of stick over here but I got through it. Thanx to that result, our teams have never really been respected. Players such as Saunders, Thomas, Pembridge (seen as second rate no-bodies over here) didn't help the image either, but that's Souness's fault I suppose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts