Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he is a world class player. sure hes had a rough start, but leaving him out of the squad entirely was a shambles. i'd rather have him then ameobi- you might say he hasnt scored yet, but then ameobi hasnt scored much of late either

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Agreed, I'd have him starting over Ameobi any day of the week. He really needs to be given a decent run in the team. How's he ever going to adjust to the Premiership if he hardly ever plays? Hopefully Roeder will give him a chance sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Still Ameobi can improve though he has potential

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Grobari said:
Still Ameobi can improve though he has potential
He showed real potential towards the end of the 03/04 season, but since then he's failed to deliver. He's become a very frustrating player to watch and has been given countless chances to shine. Its a shame Luque hasn't been given the same opportunity, we might have actually seen him produce some of the form that made him one of the best players in Spain a couple of seasons ago.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
remember Luque is not an out and out striker like Newcastle are asking him to be, he is mainly an attacking Left winger

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
What if we put Luque jus behind the two attackers? You think he will play good there? And then Emre and Parker in CM?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Well, with Shola's strike against Bolton and the continued form of young Zog I can't see Luque starting anytime soon.

Clearly he has more talent in his little finger than Shola has in his entire body, but it's just not working for him - and it's looking increasingly like our rotten luck with temperamental Iberians continues.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
dyertribe said:
Well, with Shola's strike against Bolton and the continued form of young Zog I can't see Luque starting anytime soon.

Clearly he has more talent in his little finger than Shola has in his entire body, but it's just not working for him - and it's looking increasingly like our rotten luck with temperamental Iberians continues.
Indeed, its such a shame as well, I was really excited when we signed him. He's shown in matches against the likes of Milan and Real Madrid what he can do, but it doesn't look like he's going to get the opportunity to do so here. That is unless ofcourse the new manager rates him and decides to give him a decent run in the side.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Luque would be great once he gets used to your team, he is a very quick thinking player who is very versitile, Hopefully you will utilise his abilities next season.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I am 99% sure Luque will leave. He's had a horrible year at Newcastle and I don't think NFC management really trust him that much anyways. If he stays in England he has to go to Liverpool with the rest of the Spaniards otherwise he has to return to his homeland. As a Depor supporter I would take him back in a second but he's probably not gonna return here.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Well, it looks although Roeder will be given the job on a permanent basis and this will surely see Luque leave in the summer. Its a shame, just when things started to look up for him and he scored his first goal he was dropped from the squad for no obvious reason :confused:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
The latest quotes from Luque indicate he's going to stay:

"I am happy here and Newcastle are counting on me," Luque told Spanish radio station Onda Cero.

"I have no need to move clubs."

If he does stay, with a full pre season under his belt hopefully he can show some of that talent that he became renowned for in Spain.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Same here

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
He gives you an option up front and on the left wing which is why im shocked they want to sell him especially since Shearer has retired. Watching him in Spain his dribbling and shooting was first class but he also has that determination to do well for the team and himself.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
millwall rule said:
He gives you an option up front and on the left wing which is why im shocked they want to sell him especially since Shearer has retired. Watching him in Spain his dribbling and shooting was first class but he also has that determination to do well for the team and himself.
Indeed he does give us an extra option and like you say in Spain he was class. It's a difficult situation for the club, if we keep him and he has another poor season then his value will fall even further and we won't get much back for him. However if we keep him and he performs to the best of his ability then the team can only benefit.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
It looks like he's going to get a chance, latest quotes regarding his situation:

Glenn Roeder will challenge Albert Luque to lay down his claims for a regular place next season when the Magpies squad return for pre-season training today.

The Spaniard suffered a torrid time last term after his big-money switch from Deportivo La Coruna, picking up a serious hamstring injury in only his second game for the club then - by his own admission -struggling to adapt to the rigours of the Premiership when he finally shook off his injury.

But towards the end of the season Luque boosted his popularity with the United fans by breaking his goalscoring duck in the 4-1 thumping of Sunderland, and he also hit the net with a rasping volley against Celtic in Alan Shearer's Testimonial at St. James' Park.

And with Shearer having retired, Michael Chopra left for pastures new, and Michael Owen sidelined with a knee injury, Luque finds himself with a glorious opportunity to make his mark in the new campaign.

Roeder said: "Albert has admitted that last season didn't go exactly as he would have wanted it to.

"It was his first season at Newcastle and it started badly for him when he got a horrible hamstring injury.

"It was as close to a ruptured hamstring as you are ever going to see, and it undoubtedly set him back.

"He didn't really make a full recovery from it because I don't think he ever felt he had the power or confidence in his leg that he would have wanted.

"He wasn't really operating at full capability, but he will be once we have got a full pre-season into him.

"Pre-season is an important time for any player, but it's essentially vital when you've had a long time out like Albert has."

Roeder added: "With Alan retiring and Michael being extraordinarily unlucky with his injury - and unless we bring in a striker before July 15 - we know what we're looking at in terms of selection for our first Intertoto game.

"It looks like it will give Albert a big chance.

"It could be his first opportunity to win the shirt and I've always said that, once you've done that, it becomes yours to lose."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts