Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...probably in August, just a kind of a spur of the moment decision, my whole family are going.

So where should we go and where should we avoid going. What should we see or do and avoid doing?

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
That's brilliant Romire! :) I reckon you should stay away from Limerick, just from personal experience. :tongue: But go and visit the old castles and u have to visit Dublin. It's not a bad place... But basicly ask the resident lad's who are from Eire. I have only been once, but good luck, have a great time mate! :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
depends how you wanna do it. For full tacky tourist experience you do:

1 a weekend in dublin staying near or in temple bar. beware of british stag and hen nights though. they're a pain in the arse. lots of other things to do though in Dublin and the best way of finding out is to walk around aimlessly and discover it yourselves. best way for any city really. Avoid O'Connell st and the north inner city at night is about the only advise worth noting.

2 head to Kerry for a few days but avoid staying in Killarney, Its way too touristy. Take the Conor Pass donw into Dingle on a fine sunny day. You aint lived until you've done that. Amazing scenery in Kerry and miles and miles of empty unspoilt beaches. Love the place I do!

3 Galway Arts festival may be on then as well. A must.

4 Dont go North

·
Registered
313 Posts
In fairness I think temple bar can be missed, very rare to see an Irish person there anymore.

What dates are you coming over Romire? Bohs V Rovers is on the 2nd of August if you want to go. THe 1/4 final of the all-Ireland Gaelic football championship is also on that weekend.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well that's true, that food market in meeting house square at the weekends is pretty impressive, but I aviod the place on a weekend night.

Agree with you about Kerry being a must!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure on the date now, its going to be either August or October now. We wanted to come over in August but it now looks like we can save a couple grand in airfare if we waite cause the discount flights all seem to be booked till then. If we find a decent airfare deal for August it'll be mid to late.

Yeah I'm not a touristy kind of guy really. My main interests are old celtic ruins and gettn blasted rightly ;) We're planning on being there for a couple of weeks, we'll probably only spending 2 or 3 days in Dublin. I will be going to Limerick as I have mates there that I met when I was on the continent. And we're not venturing out of the Republic.

On the issue of celtic ruins, I've done some research and there are a crap load of them all over the place. But what I have to find out is which ones are the best, ie oldest, in decent shape, not under escavation presently.

And when I come back with me Irish accent I'm keepn er. I hate this boring neutral Ontario "accent". The lady's love the Irish accent here, it doesn't matter what you say, if you have an Irish accent your seen as this charming rogue or something. I can fake a decent Corker once and awhile but I always slip back into the boring N. American crapola. Hmm I wonder how Romanian would sound with an Irish accent :confused: :D ...... o.k. its sounds really strange, like a Texan speeking Italian :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3200 BC! Wow, that is seriously amazing, I gotta check that out for sure, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Well you gotta visit Co.Louth if your going to County Meath(Newgrange). A place called Carlingford. It's a beautiful area near the sea and there's a loively view of the mountains. It was featured on Billy's Connolly's show of the British Isles there a while back on RTE and the BBC aswell. If you like fishing you should go to the Cavan/Fermanagh area. Well I only know the Cavan area, but I've been told it's nice in Fermanagh too. The hills of Donegal are nice aswell and if you like sight go to Connemara. I know someone from Kerry and he says that Kilarney is a tacky place made for Americans. Tralee is a far nicer town he says. He is from a place called Kilorglin, but it's only a wee place. Jesus I just noticed that i didn't mention Dublin, ah well **** it, it's an aul smelly **** of a place at times, especially the north side. Don't forget to go into a pub aswell!(One outside Dublin)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
typical culchie wanker. cant go two words without attacking Dublin the heartbeat of the Island. At least us Dubs can recommend other parts of the country to visit as well as the Capital) although you SHOULD avoid Louth, there's nothing in it of interest). I guess we aint small minded (and we dont shag our sisters either)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Blur's In the Country....

He lives in a house, a very big house,
He's a culchie.
Puts cabbage on his bread, got a big mutton head,
He's a culchie.
Does'nt pay no tax, got dirty cacks,
He's a culchie.
Parks his car for free, loves RTE,
He's a culchie...

His sheep have blisters, he shags his sisters,
Hes' a culchie..

and so on and so forth

·
Registered
547 Posts
Badge

Why not go North??

Donegal is one of the most beautiful counties on the island with many interesting old ruined buildings and some stunning coastlines. The Martello towers along the coastline are well worth seeing.

Derry is also a lovely city and one of the few remaining walled cities in Europe. You can also get a taster of some of the symbols of the troubles in Northern Ireland with 'Free Derry Corner' and lots of murals dedicated to the 'Armed Struggle' (as many people call it). You can also visit the monuments dedicated to the hunger strikers and the Bloody Sunday victims.

I am not a big fan of Belfast as a place to visit but there are some stunning sites there that will give you a great insight into what has gone on here over the past thirty years. There are places like the Falls Rd and the Shankill Rd that contain many murals that refer to particular incidents that have taken place here. I drove through Sandy Row (a loyalist area) at the weekend and it even surprised/captivated me and I've lived here (NI) for most of my life.

Those people that have visited these sites have tended to be completely entralled by them because they get to see first hand what is really going on up here. They have only ever seen what is happening in the news and this tends to paint an innacurate picture. People are generally awestruck when they stand in the street that Bloody Sunday took place etc and because of this I would really recommend that you take the time to witness these places first hand.

But I know that there are many beautiful places in Ireland and they are all worth visiting for many different reasons... You will have a good time wherever you go... Unlike Badge I don't think there is need to avoid anywhere...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Badge, another line to that:

He's never worked a day, coz he's on the EU's pay,
He's a culchie

We sang that all the way to Thurles and back last year, twice. Most of the Kerry folk found it quite amusing too!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I went to Derry a few years ago and the locals to have a serious attitude. Not very nice at all. Very hard to talk to and that what just the caddilacs. Was extremely tense and intimidated when I found myslef in an offy in a loyalist area. I suppose if images of death and destruction are your bag then the North's for you. btw When I said the North I meanet Norn Iron. Donegal is class. The friendliness and agenda free zone that was Cardonagh was a great antidote to Doire. Thats just my take.

And Belfast in my experience is best passed thro.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have been to Dublin and Cork many times, I have also been to quite a lot of other cities throughout the world and inevitably you will find idiots everywhere you go.

I will not, however, tar a whole city with having a 'serious attitude' in the way that you seem to have done. I have mates who live in Dublin (attending Trinity and UCD) who have encountered numerous idiots in their time there so would you recommend that people do not go to Dublin on that basis?? If you think like that you may aswell not bother leaving your home.
(BTW, I also felt threatened when queuing for the Kitchen in Temple Bar a few years ago when I was approached by at least three different drug dealers selling everything from heroin to Es - you don't that up here).

I must also stress that those with a serious Dublin twang can also be almost impossible to understand aswell. Its the same everywhere - you cannot say that Derry people are hard to understand and not mention those from Cork and Kerry aswell...

I must also point out that many of the supposed tourist sites in Dublin (and throughout Ireland) are also associated with the 'Death and Destruction' that took place at the beginning of this century in the fight for the independance of Ireland. Many supposed 'Irishmen' seem to forget this little fact when harping on about how awful 'Norn Iron' is and how great southern Ireland is... - Kilmanam Jail, The GPO and numerous others...

The fact is that I have lived up here for my whole lifetime and I have never once encountered any of the atrocities that are frequently shown on TV... People, like you Badge, should grow up and not paint this part of Ireland in such a light, as it is irresponsible and dishonest...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I've been doing a lot of reading and there are spots of interest and beauty in N. Ireland that I've read about but we are strictly sticking to the Republic. First of all time constraints because there is so much to see and do and have done to me. :D (sorry Simpons reference). Secondly I like to wander around and get a feel for a place and it would be no good wandering into the wrong neighbourhood and opening my damned fool mouth and getting myself into trouble.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As far as the North in the Republic I understand from a chap I was talking to a couple of nights ago that you'll find the crappiest poker players anywhere. I'd like to get a peice of that action ;) :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
With regard to walking into the wrong area - its not like that.

You know if you're in a wrong area if there are flags (tri-colours or union jacks) flying from every lamp-post in sight; in the same way you know if you're in any dodgy housing estate, anywhere in the world, by the general state of the place (e.g. crowds of youths wandering around administering kickings, drug addicts on every corner ;)). You can't really walk in unintentionally anyway as these places tend to be away from the city centres... In fact the flags are a big signal NOT to wander into a dodgy estate - in other places you don't have such obvious warning signs (e.g. in Dublin you don't have that luxury and you could end up getting the biggest kicking of your life if you take a few wrong turns)...

People overstate the dangers of Northern Ireland - there just isn't anything to worry about. The only time I would say that you would be genuinely at risk is if you walked into a Loyalist area wearing a Celtic top or into a Republican area wearing a Rangers top - but who would be silly enough to do that???

I know these points are not relevant because you won't be coming here but I just thought I'd let you know that it really is not as bad as people make out, especially for somebody who isn't even from here ( I know you maybe Irish but I don't think you will sound Irish being from Canada). If you don't have a Northern Irish accent then you genuinely have nothing to worry about - the nutters up here are only interested in killing/hurting each other...

I forgot to mention the Giant's Causeway. If you do take the notion to go up North then you simply cannot miss it... It is among the most spectacular natural phenomenon's in the world.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
walk into a hard line loyalist area and use a Dublin accent. Try it Cokane......then tell me its a grand spot and that its all very overstated. I grew up there and then Cokane!! Derry is one of the few places where I've seen burds beating the crap out of blokes in broad daylight. I've a few Orange mates from Derry and they all left (the North) as soon as they were old enough.

btw I live near Kilmainham Gaol and I dont know anyone who's ever gone into it. Our tourist sites in Dublin almost always have a bar! As for the aul drugs... have you got yer mans name/number outside the Kitchen by any chance??? No pushers up North? pull the other weeee mawn,

1 - 20 of 49 Posts