Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a disturbing phone call from a college friend of mine who lives in San Diego, CA and has a 4-1/2 year old son. The boy has a hearing problem and a resulting speech problem. He can't enter kindergarten next year because he is not prepared. The problem is that there are no speech therapists in my friend's school district. She says that the schools are swamped with the children of illegals and the school district is close to bankruptcy. She has contacted a university and has arranged for a college student majoring in speech therapy to tutor her son for $50 an hour.

Question, is this a purely California problem or something we will all have to face some day?

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
sorry to hear that..

the question - I think it's a problem that will could only increase unless action is taken.. and here's some good news for xenophobes.. a friend of mine was deported last month..!

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
California may be the worse off, but it's hardly just in California. Illegal immigration is something in dire need of stricter control not just in the bordering states to Mexico, but also in the entire eastern seaboard.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
!bob said:
sorry to hear that..

the question - I think it's a problem that will could only increase unless action is taken.. and here's some good news for xenophobes.. a friend of mine was deported last month..!
Not just xenophobes, but also those of us who migrated legally and now foot the bill to educate, feed and treat the illegal masses and thin the return to those that are legally entitled.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Like everything in life, this story has two sides. Along with the costs associated with illegals, Americans would do well to remind themselves that these people perform many of the jobs citizens can't be bothered to take. If they weren't there, many of the menial jobs they now perform would have to offer a hire wage to get employees. It's a two way street.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been watching the new Dennis Miller show on CNBC and one of his panelists last night said that there is a 50 percent unemployment rate among African-Americans in some parts of southern California, but Mexicans continue to stream north to take jobs offered to them by employers.

Is it a case of jobs that nobody will take but illegals, or are the wages too low to attract an American citizen? What is the problem that there is unemployment and illegal immigration at the same time?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I saw the show too. It was worse than the premier the night before. Something's very wrong when Dennis Miller can't make the news funny. I expect he'll buckle and add a laugh track soon.

The problem is simple. Employers don't want to give up their pool of cheap labour. If they offered good wages and benefits, those jobs would be snatched up by locals - like they are in every other part of the world. But, you have a situation in California where employers have the sweet alternative of paying much less. What do you think they're going to choose?

Bush's latest second class citizen initiative is aimed at mollifying both groups - the hotel owners & farmers et al who want to keep their cheap labour source, and the rest of society which is picking up the tab the consequences of the situation generate.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tinto said:
I saw the show too. It was worse than the premier the night before. Something's very wrong when Dennis Miller can't make the news funny. I expect he'll buckle and add a laugh track soon.

Do you agree that Naomi Wolf is waaaay out of her league, commenting on international politics? I had some high expectations for the show. I thought the interview with John McCain (should have been president) was pretty good, but the Monday interview with Arnold Schwartzenegger was lame. My favorite Rudy Giuliani is on tonight. Hopefully he will have something interesting to say.

At least Dennis Miller allows his guests to talk for some length of time before interrupting (very unlike the O'Reilly type of interview)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I thought the panel sucked both nights. They should decide whether they're there to inform or entertain - and pick one. As it is, they're just a cacophony.

Miller introduced his new show by saying he wants to give the good guys a forum, and ridicule the bad guys. We all know who he's bound to put into these two camps, so I don't expect surprises in terms of his opinions.

However, since it's Dennis Miller, I did expect it to be entertaining, but it just hasn't been on either night. He kisses conservative ass without even a suggestion of stirring some controversy. It's a one note samba.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There hasn't been a decent political commentary show since "Politically Incorrect" was on Comedy Central and hosted by Bill Maher.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Well it was entertaining, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a good political commentary show. I haven't seen such a beast on American t.v.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
hummy

go watch the daily show with jon stewart i watch it almost every nite and the man is amazing and his reporters are out of this world.

as for immigration

tinto said it its a two way street.

however im paying around $5000 for my greencard and been paying thousands for visa and they are getting here for free, really pisses one off.

however they do the jobs most americans would ever do.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
!bob said:
sorry to hear that..

I'm happy as hell your friend got deported...thanks for the good news

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anyone for a constitutional amendment saying that children born here of illegal parents are not citizens?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Humbird said:
anyone for a constitutional amendment saying that children born here of illegal parents are not citizens?
The answer to the abuse isn't an amendment change, but merely better control of our borders from those who enter illegally.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
Is that what it would require? It's usually a statutory question, not a constitutional one. Jus sanguinis makes far more sense than Jus solis. Naturalization for everything else.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But it is a dilemma, P. Illegal A and Illegal B enter the US and have a child who according to our laws is an American citizen by the fact that the child is born here. Now, what do we do? Do we deport parents A and B with the child, thus deporting an American citizen? Or do we break up the family and keep the child here?

1 - 20 of 255 Posts