Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I've always been a fan of his...class act.

Whether he is what we need is another matter but you can never have too much class in your squad.

The fee isn't excessive given that he's only 24 and will still have a strong re sale value in 3 or 4 years time.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Would like to agree with Tarquin here, especially given to the aims Athletic had (last season) and has (EL for example or Copa).

I don't care if players played for RMA or are from Gipuzkoa (like I mentioned in some other thread as well), but sure I understand if others think different about it.

But I really doubt that Illarra wants to play for Athletic in a relegation battle while his team is going to win the league....

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Not sure Lucie...a player of his age just wants to play football and winning a title with RM will mean little since he hasn't contributed.

I'd say if you currently mentioned his name and asked any footy fan who he was or who he played for you would get a furrowed thinking brow or a blank expression.

Like it or not RM are the biggest club in the world and he is not part of their current or long term plans...hardly got a look in even when Modric and Khedira were injured.

If he were 30 and and on a big money deal then he would no doubt bench it out but he has aspirations to play for the selection and will definitely be prepared to move to actually play and further his career.

I'd buy him but we'll see what Urrutia is really up to...so far he is the sole candidate for election and this could all just be muscle flexing and posturing to deter anyone else who might fancy putting their hat in the ring in the next 3 weeks.

We'll see.

Our squad does need more depth and I see this signing as a win win scenario.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I like him too. Made some killer perfomances against Athletic. Remember some game where he dominated the midfield and he was all over the place. Good spirit and aggression. He's got a big heart. Hope there is room for Athletic in it if this deal goes through. Poor Benat. Maybe not a solution for the goal drought but as we compete in domestic as well as European cups besides the league we need a strong squad. The question is how much is he worth?

Not a lot of offensive midfielders and forwards in that top level quality. That's where we really need improvements.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I posted this earlier on the Athletic '14-'15 but this thread has picked up steam so I'll post here.

Marca now reporting Illarra would rather stay in Madrid until June and sign with Arsenal. Still no firm word either way.

My thoughts about acquiring him? Yes! We need talent, especially in midfield. Yes, he's a defensive midfielder in the mold of Itu, Rico and Beñat. But as we learned the hard way, you can never have too many quality players, and who knows? Maybe his style and a change of scenery could actually allow him to fit the media punta role better than anyone we have so far. Plus we have the surplus of money. AND with elections coming up and Urrutia needing a big signing to ward off a possible return run from Macua, this is it. Because none of the midfielders or wingers who would be eligible are going anywhere (Griezmann, Raúl García, Arteta, Alonso).

·
Registered
947 Posts
I posted this earlier on the Athletic '14-'15 but this thread has picked up steam so I'll post here.

Marca now reporting Illarra would rather stay in Madrid until June and sign with Arsenal. Still no firm word either way.
Read this on EITB, too.
So... if he likes to be a mercenario, just let him be. We don't need players, who don't like to play for Athletic and prefer being benched in Madrid and Arsenal (well, of course I don't know if he is going to be benched there).

On the rest what you have written, Urzaiz, I totally agree, sure.
We need good players... but what if they don't want to play for us...?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts