Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LONDON, April 28 (DS) - Argentinean star Juan Sebastian Veron has revealed he will risk his World Cup future to try to save Manchester United's season, the News of the World reported.
Midfielder Veron, 27, is playing through the pain barrier to keep United's European Cup and Premiership dreams alive.
And he is desperate to reward United's fans for their unwavering support during a difficult first season for him.
Veron says: "I picked up this injury two months ago. It's an old injury, I've had it before.
"It gets quite painful towards the end of games and I lose a bit of mobility.
"It's a swelling of the Achilles tendon - mostly to do with the number of games I've played.
"I don't know what the long-term solution is. Hopefully, I won't need an operation.
"I was told I needed two weeks off for the swelling to go down and I understand Sir Alex said I probably wouldn't play for United again this season.
"I was in a lot of pain and I was worried about the World Cup. I was told I needed to rest the injury before starting treatment. I took my family back to Rome where we still have a house and saw a doctor who had treated me previously.
"It was hard work - certainly no holiday. I had to go and see him twice a day.
"But almost at the same time Paul Scholes was booked and suspended for the second leg of our European Cup quarterfinal against Deportivo.
"Unfortunately, that coincided with injuries to David Beckham and Roy Keane.
"Assistant manager Jim Ryan called me in Rome and asked if I could play. It meant rushing my treatment a little but I wanted to come back for the team.
"It is important to sacrifice myself because, with all the absentees in midfield, the team needed me to help out."
Veron is desperately committed to the Manchester United cause - despite constant speculation linking him with a return to Lazio.
He added: "It just goes to prove the quality of people here at Manchester United. It's not just the manager but the technical and medical staff. They realise that if a treatment has worked for a player previously then it makes sense for him to go and have the same care again.
"That is the kind of respect I have received since I arrived.
"It has been a whole new experience for me working with the manager. He is one of the most famous bosses in the world.
"The skill is that all the staff make you feel relaxed. They are top people. Sir Alex is the person that signed me so, obviously, I am pleased he is staying on. When he is happy and calm he speaks to you well. He treats you like a son. But when he is angry, I don't understand him!
"Seriously, though, the team needs a rocket on occasions and he can come down hard when he needs to."

Source: Dailysoccer

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Top lad, but I am one of the Manchester United fans who never doubted him anyway so you've got nothing to prove to me ;)
He'll show his class sooner or later, I'm not worried. I want him to stay for the rest of his career. He's a top star.

·
International
9,526 Posts
well, he didn't play particularly well against bayer, and if its to do with him aggrivating an injury, I'd sooner he stayed off rather than risk perminant damage. Its not fair to him or Argie. Much having said that, I like the attitude. Its what we need:)

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Nice to hear this.:)

I guess he got a lot of stick this season and some of it,one could say,was justified.Still there's no denying the class of this man and hopefully he'll turn it on tomorow against Bayer.:stuckup:

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Veron is a class act. I never doubted his commitment towards Man U. Although I feel he did not do justice to his talent in his first season at Man U but I think he will play a big role in Man U's success in many seasons to come. Veron You Rule!!!

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
im pretty confident veron is gonna do great next season...his flair matches the premiehsips style of football, and i think its because the left and right flanks are solidly occupied at manu that he feels limited...but im predicting next season he will be acustomed to it and show us the same form he had at the beginning of the season

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
This is ludicrous

While I appreciate the sentiment, I think he's been quite daft

If you're playing sh!te while injured then don't play at all. As simple as that. He's doing us no favours playing the way he did last Wednesday.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Liebero said:
This is ludicrous

While I appreciate the sentiment, I think he's been quite daft

If you're playing sh!te while injured then don't play at all. As simple as that. He's doing us no favours playing the way he did last Wednesday.
Agreed Roy, and Keano has done exactly the same fighting back from injury to play and risk his World Cup to play for us.

Veron, is starting to get on my nerves - when will he ever show he is worth the money we paid for him.

I hope we sell him in the summer and get Van Bommel.

Mark my words - Veron will be a passnger on Tuesday night and once again we will need to carry him through the game - he doesnt work very hard and leaves the defence exposed - I would prefer a midfield of Keano, Butt, Scholes and Giggsy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Have to agree with Lieboro and Pav.

Veron has been pish when he has played for United (except for the 2nd leg Vs Depor). He was crap almost to the point of non-existant last wednesday and it is going to take more than an article out of some rag to convince me that he is commited to ManU.

I wish he would do his talking on the pitch, not in the papers.

·
Registered
879 Posts
veron hasn't done sheeet for several years. I'm a big fan of south american football, but this guy is one of the most overrated players in europe. I'm not talking about talent, I'm talking about production.

And please, don't use injuries as an excuse.. if you have a frail body, that should be taken into account when evaluating a player. Veron is not a top class player.. if anything, manU should have bought a defender instead of this guy.. they don't neeed him.

Europe is not the "heave it down the field and hope something good happens 'premiership'..

Its sad to see (probably) the most economically powerful club in the world with such a sheeeety defense.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Europe is not the "heave it down the field and hope something good happens 'premiership'..
So what are you suggesting mate???:confused: :confused:

United are in the semi-final of this competition and has been the most consistent team in CL apart from Real Madrid in the last 5 years.;)

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I don't follow the PL that much, but didn't Veron have a very good spell when he was deployed next to Keane with Scholes in front for the 4-4-1-1 system ? I'm talking about VERON performing, and not United here, because clearly Scholes left the games then and he is too important to be played out of position.

The same can be said for Veron however, and when you take the midfield playmaker of Argentina and previously Lazio and want him to play right or left mid... then I think it's obvious that you won't get his best game.
In Italy- with Lazio- he used to be the only midfielder who didn't have any set duties defensively (well Nedved had them but didn't do it, so in reality there was two :)). I think everyone can see his class on the ball and passing ability, but to me it simply looks like he get's suffocated with Man.U. One of Man.U's best trades for me as a viewer is that it works as a machine. It's difficult to do anything against when it works because of the pressure themidfield line puts on the opponents, because of Becks crosses and Giggs runs. Then- you always a coupple of lethal finishers and Scholes as the box of tricks next to the engine Keane. It's 4 very differnt players who compliment eachother superbly. However- their main strong point is that they combine skill and mobility with aggressiveness. All of them.
Veron is much more of a latin creater. He actually plays a bit like that Puskas line: "In football you need one person who can play the piano and 10 to carry the piano for him". A very selfserving quote as Puskas was the undisputed star of the great Hungary ;). However- even if Veron is much more of a team player than that- I never saw him fit in with regards to the pace and aggression United plays with. For me- Veron is better equipped than any other Man. U player when it comes to ability of turning a match in an instant with a pass from midfield. But I don't think his style of playing can be utilized at United without sacrificing what makes United- namely that excellent 4 man midfield line.
On another note I thought the transfer was bad back in August, especially as United has other concerns which would be much more profitable to address. Like right back and a central defender.

Ciao.

·
International
9,526 Posts
maxout said:

If you want to talk about overrated players, lets point the finger at a few others as well, rivaldo for example, and Saviola;)

as for references to long ball, I can only think that you don't see much of the premiership. Times have changed, and the standard is amongst the finest in Europe, and indeed the world.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Glen said:
Veron is much more of a latin creater. He actually plays a bit like that Puskas line: "In football you need one person who can play the piano and 10 to carry the piano for him". A very selfserving quote as Puskas was the undisputed star of the great Hungary ;). For me- Veron is better equipped than any other Man. U player when it comes to ability of turning a match in an instant with a pass from midfield.

Well yes, Puskas had some very skillful teammates around him, and indeed, because of their work and application, he was able to reach a very high level of performance. But even he was not always the best option within the team even when it was at its optimom, WC final 1954, is one example, where a fit Budai would have been a far better option than a half fit Puskas.

To get back no track, for me, Veron definitely has skill, and his passing ability is obvious. But like you say, the changes we need to make to get the best of him, do seem to defeat the overall objective of buying him, namely, to enhance the team. He's an enigma, and I wonder if we will ever get that precarious balance of consistency and brilliance out of him.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Glen said:
The same can be said for Veron however, and when you take the midfield playmaker of Argentina and previously Lazio and want him to play right or left mid... then I think it's obvious that you won't get his best game.
bravo.

anyway, i see veron without confidence. he should be the brain of the team, but instead he touches the ball very few times, and he doesnt dare to make his lethal passes or moves or long distance shots.
IMHO, this is the problem, beside from the fact fergusson wants him to play where he is not suppossed to play (for ex. in the left??)

selfconfidence, thats what he needs, and playing in the NT will halp him to get it back.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Fred Elliot said:

If you want to talk about overrated players, lets point the finger at a few others as well, rivaldo for example, and Saviola;)
I agree they are both overrated. Saviola's size limitations will always come up against the big club who have the personel to shut him down. The thing with saviola is that he sells merchandise, teenage girls, little boys love him.

As for rivaldo, he isn't AS MUCH overrated, he was outstanding during 1999-2000, but he does not want to play that position anymore.

Fred Elliot said:

as for references to long ball, I can only think that you don't see much of the premiership. Times have changed, and the standard is amongst the finest in Europe, and indeed the world.
You're right.. I need to see more EPL games. gimmie more FoxSportsWorld! or YES channel

·
Registered
547 Posts
Rivaldo is NOT over rated - NO WAY!

Did any of you watch the last World Cup? He was sensational. He is one of the few players in the world that can win a match on his own - e.g. end of last season 3-2 vs Valencia.

Fair enough, he hasn't had the best few years but there is no doubt his quality - he just needs to get a bit of form going.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I must agree with cokane. Rivaldo is not overrated, no way. He's going through a bad patch this season with all the injuries etc, but he's still one of the best players in the world. Too bad he's already 30...

·
Registered
28 Posts
c'mon how can some of you say saviola is overrated?.......his first season in the Spanish league after his father died and adjusting to new environment and team mates and still manages to score 16+ goals with limited time on the pitch (most away games he didn't play).......and he's what 20 years old.......he may be overrated in terms of expectation of the new maradona but he's been better than expected considering some adversities he's gone though in his 1ST year...............He lacks physical strength yes but seems to make up for it with pace, skill and vision.....aslong as it can be compensated then it's almost unoticable........there has to be some truth to it otherwise can someone explain his goal stats (that have seen him play atleast a half dozen times)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts