Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When 4 minutes from time Cesc Fabregas hit that 30 meter shot that virtually ended our 2008 European Campaign, probably at once our minds immediately switched to a bigger picture. The last flame of The Immortals was virtually extinguished. Ironically Paolo Maldini was our best player on the pitch, which perhaps makes the feeling even worse.

First of all, excuse me just one more time if I will indulge in adding a few thoughts that perhaps are unnecessary if not indeed already added elsewhere within the Milan subforum, nevertheless, for an old Milanista like myself, that flame was part of my day to day life for a couple of decades, the bridge between our Serie B days, through repeated triumphs all across the globe, to becoming reference of any club of big ambitions.
In perspective, if you beat Milan, you've already made history.
Mathieu Flamini had well in mind his accomplishment, if it's true that seconds after the final blow his first thought was not that of celebrating, but having personally handed over The Flame: Maldini last European jersey ever.
He will treasure it for ever.

As I was saying, Maldini is the last holder of the flame. The Fathers of the Fatherland, The Immortals, The Invicibles in origin were:

Galli
Tassotti - Baresi - Costacurta - Maldini
Donadoni - Ancelotti - Rykaard - Evani
Gullit - Van Basten​

Of all them, Maldini is to be considered The Last Immortal, in just a few weeks time, his magical #3 jersey will never to be seen again in Red&Black.
My heart bleeds :broken:

I could list a number of glorious memories, I'll leave that to whom ever interested, if indeed the topic itself may be of interest.

Probably most minds will have already rightfully shifted their focus upon what to do from now and what should already had to be sorted out.

For all I know, we are probably the only team on earth that most football fans around the world, Milanisti or not, could name the lineup. In other words, but for slight changes, year after year, our lineups usually never change that much.
The flame.
For the good or the bad.

That last original flame is gone, I just hope the spirit will survive.

Should the above be a repeat of thoughts already expressed in other threads, please excuse me since I worked all day long.

Forza Vecchio Cuore Rossonero :heart:

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Galli
Tassotti - Baresi - Costacurta - Maldini
Donadoni - Ancelotti - Rykaard - Evani
Gullit - Van Basten

O:
these ex players (bold) are now coaching, that shows leadership and a good knowledge of the game.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Also, Baresi and Evani both coach youth teams at Milanello, while Billy will surely coach Milan someday.

Diavolo :thumbsup: :devil:

As Billy loves to say, certi sogni non finiscono mai

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
these ex players (bold) are now coaching, that shows leadership and a good knowledge of the game.

And all of them are crappy coaches :D:D:D

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
And all of them are crappy coaches :D:D:D
Those two guys in the central midfield have won 3 CL trophies between them as coaches :stuckup:. So crappy ;).

Great post Diav. And well pointed about about the coaches, Alter Ego. It just furthers shows how much of a truly special group of players they were, and their class and influences still lingers on far after their time as players has ended. :star:

·
Premium Member
24,062 Posts
Having whitnesed the start of our immortals back in 1988, I feel privilaged to know what Milan represent to its suppotrs, why Milanisti around the world feels the connection, and are proud of such a club even they play in Serie C. I am priviliged to be a fan or even a part of a club that treats a relatively unknown name in Football world like Evani, Galli, or Colombo as a world class star :proud: I am priviliged to be Milanista :proud:

Forza Caro Milan! :proud:

·
Registered
43,414 Posts
In other words, but for slight changes, year after year, our lineups usually never change that much.
The flame.
For the good or the bad.
Exactly! :proud:

That last original flame is gone, I just hope the spirit will survive.
That is my only hope too right now. Hence I fight against the "inter" type of demands to buy, sell, change, revolution ... I hope we stay as conservative and wise as we can. :devil:

·
Premium Member
24,062 Posts
That is my only hope too right now. Hence I fight against the "inter" type of demands to buy, sell, change, revolution ... I hope we stay as conservative and wise as we can. :devil:
Amen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's not the end, it's just a new beginning.

In another 15-20 years some die hard Milan fans will sit around a table, sharing their thoughts and feelings, discussing the last game of Milan's invincible Kaka.

The life goes on. We will see many new faces, legends and champions, and their time will also come one day as we are all mortal. However, what will survive all tests of time and hardships, is our Name, our History and our DNA.

Forza Milan! Tu Sei Tutta la Mia Vita! :proud: :devil: :devil:

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
It's not the end, it's just a new beginning.

In another 15-20 years some die hard Milan fans will sit around a table, sharing their thoughts and feelings, discussing the last game of Milan's invincible Kaka.

The life goes on. We will see many new faces, legends and champions, and their time will also come one day as we are all mortal. However, what will survive all the tests of time and hardships, is our Name, our History and our DNA.

Forza Milan! Tu Sei Tutta la Mia Vita! :proud: :devil: :devil:
:thmbup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Football is all about cycles. Milan are coming to the end of their current cycle, it's the end of an era. It'll take a few years but we're going to see a new Milan now.

·
Registered
935 Posts
As long as Berluskoni is our President, I know that the 8th CL is in the near future

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I believe this team under Carlo was as good as the Old Milan...2 CL titles, 1 final...this team is surely one of the greatest CL teams of all time...Players like Pirlo, Inzaghi, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Nesta, Seedorf, Kaka, Dida etc will always be Milan heroes:heart::heart:.

And yes all good things must come to an end someday and we shall see a new era and new faces hopefully, but Carlo and his super team will go down as one of our greatest teams ever.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Yes, a new beginning. With so much (so MUCH) to be thrilled and electric about.

The thoughts of building another side is both appealing and exciting, and does help, I find, quell the sting of sadness that I feel right now. I mean, how strange is that Paolo is still playing but I am already feeling nostalgia about him in earlier times! Grande Capitano, per sempre con voi.

·
Premium Member
24,062 Posts
Yes, a new beginning. With so much (so MUCH) to be thrilled and electric about.

The thoughts of building another side is both appealing and exciting, and does help, I find, quell the sting of sadness that I feel right now. I mean, how strange is that Paolo is still playing but I am already feeling nostalgia about him in earlier times! Grande Capitano, per sempre con voi.
Welcome aboard :thmbup:

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
Go Diego Go.;)

Welcome.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Has The Flame got anything to do with our Flamini? :angel:

:pp

1 - 20 of 58 Posts