Xtratime Community banner

Will Milan vs Arsenal be Maldini's last European game ever?

1 - 20 of 1958 Posts

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, try and think about that for a minute and you'll know how some of us are feeling today!

Real&Barcafan

The world is.......Darker then ever.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Perhaps, but I think for us the scenario is even more unthinkable because his father played for Milan, he played for Milan, made his debut at 16, captained Milan, captained his country and is MILAN. I understand that Redondo is your symbol but without sounding high-handed, his leaving Real is nothing like Maldini leaving Milan. Wait and see what the fans do in reaction because I can tell you that if there was ever any doubt about Maldini being at Milan for life, there wouldn't be enough money in the world to save Berlusconi and his cronies from a severe beating. What Real think of Raul is a fairer idea of what Maldini is to us.

D

·
0 Posts
I could hardly imagine Maldini leaving Milan. :)
But I could hardly imagine Roberto Donadoni leaving Milan, and he did, for 1 and a half season to Metrostars in the MLS????
I hated it when Chelsea tried to confirm a few months ago that Maldini was supposed to have said that he was interested in signing for them. :mad:

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Redondo is Real Madrid for life

Well, you tried but Fernando was not even tempted at going to you. He will stay for now (you never know, Lazio could use some Argentinians ;) )

So if you want yu can delete this topic because it has made its point :)

R

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Right now, Maldini IS Milan. Redondo leaving Mdrid isn't even 1/100 of what Maldini is leaving Milan. Nesta is fast becoming that way for Lazio and I'm sure Totti will be like that for Roma too.
In Donnadoni's days Baresi was the Face of Milan, so seeing Donnadoni leave wasn't that massive.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Maldini leaving milan would be insane: As an individual player he means to much to this team..When I heard that he was also considering an end with the national that was pretty scary as well. He means to much to MILAN.You guys are really lucky to have a player like him.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
answer:never in my life

H

·
0 Posts
Maldini is Forever in Milan!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Cesare, Paolo, the next is Cristiano Maldini (Paolo's son), and then
Henry Maldini that's me :eek:

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Hey, tifosi, our captain is set to make history....or am I the only one who has been counting? :depress:

Emotional night for Maldini and Trapattoni
By Simon Evans

MILAN, Oct 6 (Reuters) - Italy captain Paolo Maldini and coach Giovanni Trapattoni face an emotional World Cup qualifier against Romania on Saturday.

Maldini will become his country's most capped when he makes his 113th appearance, beating Dino Zoff's record.

Trapattoni will be making his home debut as coach. Like Maldini, he will do so at the San Siro where he made his Serie A debut as a player.

It is seven years since Italy played at the San Siro and Trapattoni is delighted at the choice of venue. ``I feel at home at the San Siro. I began my career as a player and as a coach with AC Milan. Later, I enjoyed success there as coach of Inter.

The stadium remains home for Maldini who has played his entire career with Milan. He admitted it will be a moving experience to become the longest-serving wearer of the blue shirt in front of his own supporters.

``It is going to be emotional. I can't pretend that it is just another game, it is like making a debut again,'' said Maldini.

DISAPPOINTING

But after a disappointing 2-2 draw in Budapest against Hungary in their opening group eight qualifier, Maldini is well aware that he and his team cannot afford to be distracted by festivities.

``What kind of celebration would it be if we don't beat Romania? No, we cannot afford to do as we like. The draw in Budapest means there can only be one result for us -- three points,'' added the Italy captain.

The San Siro crowd may be given an additional cause for celebration with AC Milan wing-back Francesco Coco in line for his Italy debut on the left side of midfield.

Coco has been in stunning form for Milan in the Champions League and he could prove to be the long-term solution to a problem position in the Italian team.

Trapattoni's only major selection doubt is the long running issue of whether to play Alessandro Del Piero in attack with his Juventus team mate Filippo Inzaghi or whether to choose the more robust AS Roma forward Marco Delvecchio.

Romania, who Italy beat in the quarter-finals of Euro 2000, will be without injured strikers Adrian Ilie and Ioan Vladoiu and coach Ladislau Boloni admitted they will be missed.

``Both are huge losses for my team. But we have enough good strikers for that match,'' said Boloni who will choose from Viorel Moldovan of Nantes, Adrian Mutu of Verona and Stuttgart striker Ionel Ganea of Stuttgart.

Boloni, who replaced Emerich Jenei after the Euro 2000 defeat by the Italians, says his side will be looking to attack.

``We don't go to Milan for a goalless draw. It's important to score at San Siro even if the local supporters will not greet Romanian players with flowers,'' he said referring to Gheorghe Hagi's appalling challenge on Italian midfielder Antonio Conte at Euro 2000.

The Romanian coach ruled out any man-to-man marking on danger men such as Francesco Totti.

``All of the Italians are dangerous. You cannot put 10 players to mark 10 opponents,'' Boloni said.

Probable line-ups:

Italy: Francesco Toldo; Fabio Cannavaro, Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini; Angelo Di Livio, Demetrio Albertini, Stefano Fiore, Francesco Coco; Francesco Totti; Filippo Inzaghi, Alessandro Del Piero.

Romania: Bogdan Stelea; Dan Petrescu, Liviu Ciobotariu, Miodrag Belodedici, Iulian Filipescu, Cristian Chivu; Catalin Munteanu, Constantin Galca, Ionut Lupescu, Dorinel Munteanu; Viorel Moldovan.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
If I'm not wrong, Trapattoni has 112 caps either!!

About the game, this would be very interesting. Maldini will mark Petrescu when Romania is attacking... What great show, watching two slicky and skillful players like them in hte field.
And I hope, Trapattoni would replace Fiore with Ambrosini and and Di Livio with Gattuso in second half, so Italy's midfield would be filled with 4 Milan players... :D

Forza Milan!
Forza the best ever, Maldini...

·
Registered
9 Posts
You are not the only one ,Debs.I've been waiting for this event so long. Italy must win,otherwise it will be a bitter disappointment to our captain.

Probably line-ups:
Toldo
Cannavaro Nesta Maldini
Gattuso Albertini Ambrossini Coco :D
Totti
Inzaghi Delvecchio

At least the line-ups above is what Trap has said and I hope he won't change.

Good luck to Italy and our beloved captain, Maldini :)

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Our captain was showing some nervous anticipation before the azzurri game, as there was a little confusion about the award he was to receive for his 113th cap. 3 of his former National coaches were present to congratulate him--Maldini, Sacchi and Zoff. Son Christian was wearing an azzurri jersey with the number 113 on the back. Post-game interview was nice as well--the man remains humble, enthused about his career and future, and a real gem in Milan's cap! Halftime saw an interview with Franco Baresi too!

Mialn featured big in the game--Maldini, Albertini and Coco started...then Gatusso subbed in in the 2nd half...not a bad showing,a nd the hometown crowd loved it!

3-0 Italy....next up...Georgia on Tuesday....

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Italy as a whole looked very good. It's too bad they don't play with such flair and passion every game. The team was creative and attacking, while strong in the defense. A very positive experience.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Yes it was great to hear from Baresi. I miss seeing him play for l'Azzuri. Milan had several players playing but the only one who truly played great(as always) was Maldini. Coco had a decent debut, Albertini was invisible and Gattuso was playing pretty bad.
What are you on about Daeone? Italia never play attacking flair-filled calcio but we always play with 100% passion, this game was no exception. It was the typical Italian game played to perfection. We always start off very offensive and then settle into the catenaccio after 1 0r 2 early goals. This game was very similar to the game we had against Romania in euro2000 except we scored more and gave them less chances.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I guess I'm refering to the kind of crap Italy can pull like the 0-0 draw with Holland at Euro 2000. I can't stand it when they play for the draw and the penalty shoot-out. I didn't mean to doubt the passion, because Italy has it in abundance. But to me, the passion is diminished when they play not to lose and not to win. Yesterday's game was refreshing, much like the game they played with France in the final of Euro 2000. Italy is good enough to play to win and not resort to the infernal catenaccio, which is essentially trying to prevent a loss instead of trying to win a game.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I am sick of you guys bashing Cattenaccio.

Cattenaccio is leading everyone in the world besides germany and Brasil to the tune of 3 World Cups.

Cattenaccio is Italy's way. And in case you guys didn't know Saturdays game was typical cattenaccio. early goal/goals and then calm control of the rest of the game and mabye another goal on the break away close to the end.

And that was Totti's goal.

typical cattenaccio. if you don't appreciate say so.....it is not boring to me. you cannot universally determine what is boring.

I personally enjoyed that game against Holland the most of all of Italy's games in Euro2000.

I am proud of that game because i know if it was Italy doing the attacking we would have scored against that team of mental sissies called Holland.

GRANDE ITALIA!!!!!!!!

For me it was agood match and its good for Milan to have Coco play. Also Debs.......you said in teh Italy forum that Inzaghi didn't pass alot.....that is not true. he passed many many times to Coco on teh wing.

COCO IS DA BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Can just agree again with you, ilTAZZ. Cattenaccio rules! :D

It is nice to see that Coco has played such a great debut. He will become a important playere, for both Milan and Italy, I am sure about this.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
If you're so sure Italy could have scored so easily against Holland, then why the hell didn't they? It would have been much more satisfying than watching them fart around with the ball for 120 minutes just so they could reach a penalty shootout. I understand the philosophy behind catenaccio, but sometimes Italy doesn't even bother to play offense. The game has two sides, offense and defense. Italy should pay as much attention to offense as they do defense. If they attacked a little more they would probably never lose. Italy definitely has the players to score. So why not use them, like they did against Romania, in every game they play?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
first of all... great night to be a milan fan, we live in a moment of history... and I'm proud of our dear captain.
now, if we were speaking about the game against holland, remember.... Italy was playing with 9 players (oopps! 10). they were playing to survive. besides, playing defense is not as bad as others might have thought. I enjoyed it.
ciao!

[Edited by River on 09-10-2000 at 17:28]

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
daeone, you simply have to realise that a game with offense and flair as priority is just not our game. If that's what you want to see then I hate to break it to you but Italia is not the team you should be watching. Italian players aborn with Catenaccio as a mindset and I doubt it will change. It may be boring to some, but thats how we play and I'm proud of it.

1 - 20 of 1958 Posts