·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Name: Iker Muniain
Birthdate: December 19, 1992 in Iruñea
Height: 168 cm
Club: Athletic Club
Caps: Capped 2 (1 goal) times on U16-level and 12 (2 goals) times on U17-level for Spain.

Iker comes straight out of Athletic's youth systems and he's a fantastic young player. Made his official debut at the club against Young Boys from Switzerland last month, 16 years, 7 months and 11 days old, youngest player to ever appear for Los Leones. He scored in his second game against the same team and helped them progress to the next round of Europa League away from home a week later before retaining a starting spot.

[tub]XETF5VcBD1A[/tub]

Muniain is a left winger who can play as a suporting striker, a very pacey and agile kid with excellent technical abilities who also plays with a lot of maturity despite his youth. I seriously wonder why Ginés Meléndez never gave him a proper chance during the European U17 Championship a couple of months ago, well, I can think of some, but they're not related to this sport.

There, he's a great little player :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
I've heard a lot about him and was hoping he would've started the last game last season with Athletic Bilbao, though at the last minute he was excluded from the match squad.

I would sure turn to watch a few Bilbao games this season if he was able to get regular minutes. I want to see the kid in action. Hopefully he doesn't hate Real Madrid much though :D

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[tub]O5ZweIsi6SA[/tub]

Iker scores another goal, this time vs Austria Vienna on San Mamés as Athletic beat them 3-0 in Europa League.

Beautiful play all the way, easy finish for Muniain who was excellent tonight and created a lot as far as attacking goes. Also, RM, he turned down Barcelona and Real Madrid four years ago, so yeah, hopefully he'll become a Athletic-legend instead of going to a bigger club :thumbsup: Now, let's hope the sharks stay away from him ;)

Oh and he was good against Xerez when he got the chance while the guy also set up Athletic's winner against Espanyol in the league opener.

He's getting more and more exposure these days, my prediction for the big breakthrough in Primera División this season.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A future Spanish international. The kid looks great.

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Let's hope he has a high enough buyout clause to keep the EPL sharks away from him. I would love to see him come to Real Madrid in 4 or 5 years.

I can't believe a 16 year old is a starter for Athletic Bilbao! :eekani:

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Hypocrite :D

I hope he stays at Athletic long enough.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's hope he has a high enough buyout clause to keep the EPL sharks away from him. I would love to see him come to Real Madrid in 4 or 5 years.

I can't believe a 16 year old is a starter for Athletic Bilbao! :eekani:
No, Iker should just stay at Athletic and become a legend there.

Basque-players and Real Madrid don't add up well ;)

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
No, Iker should just stay at Athletic and become a legend there.

Basque-players and Real Madrid don't add up well ;)
They don't, but let's not forget Athletic haven't really been performing as a big club for more than 10 years now. Actually 20 :pp. He can be a legend there indeed, but he can also become a legend of football if he moves to a bigger club, one which could make him earn titles.

Basque players and Real Madrid don't add up yeah, same thing was thing was said about Xabi Alonso though. A Basque and who's father was a former Barcelona player, doesn't get worse than that. But here he is, a Real Madrid player and loving it :proud:

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh well, if you really wish to hope until the end, then I won't be crushing your dreams :D

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Isn't Casillas of Basque heritage as well?? Iker is a Basque name, right?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I hope he stays at Athletic. With their transfer policy, the only way they're ever going to become more successful again is through developing their own talent, so they need to hang on to every potential gem that comes their way.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The youngest player to ever score in Primera Divisón :thumbsup:

16 years and 289 days old.

It should be said that he was excellent agianst Werder Bremen in midweek despite playing 45 minutes. That's when Athletic started to play football - after he was brought onto the pitch. I think they conceded like 4-5 freekicks on 15 minutes, all on Iker :howler:

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[tub]p8e_nFmXDPM[/tub]

Muniain scored the 2-2-goal :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nah, forget about it mate. Athletic aren't letting him go at this age :)

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, everyone's like Rooney..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts