Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've got to say that Athletic have one hell of a player in Iker, he's explosive and direct, excellent close control on the ball and a good dribbler.

It'd be cool if he could get his breakthrough next year and Athletic signed him to a contract which would prevent the sharks from other parts of Europe to steal him :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[tub]O5ZweIsi6SA[/tub]

Iker's goal, I didn't manage to catch the whole sequence in time, but at least you'll be able to see how he scored the goal. Great play there and he was excellent tonight :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really hope Athletic will keep him through out this career, it's unlikely considering all pirates out there but I hope the kid is willing to play for this club for a long long time :thumbsup: The board probably should've signed him to a ridicolous buy-out clause as well instead of those €18 million - players like Iker don't grow on a tree..

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
You hope he spends his whole career with us, same with Javimar and Llorente, I guess it depends on the club's financial situation and the player's ambition.

Most neutrals will look at the players and expect them to move to a Champions' League size club (I believe all three will be good enough), but in the past the best players at Athletic have almost without exception stayed with the club. You think in the past decade the likes of Guerrero, Extebe, Urzaiz have spent their careers with us and I just hope that carries on for the current generation.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You hope he spends his whole career with us, same with Javimar and Llorente, I guess it depends on the club's financial situation and the player's ambition.

Most neutrals will look at the players and expect them to move to a Champions' League size club (I believe all three will be good enough), but in the past the best players at Athletic have almost without exception stayed with the club. You think in the past decade the likes of Guerrero, Extebe, Urzaiz have spent their careers with us and I just hope that carries on for the current generation.
Those who left didn't fair so well. Need I say Del Horno.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I read a academic survey y-day that compared signings and saleries impact on a clubs success. It found no eveidence that signingcost correlateted with success but on the other hand the salery was of great importance.

So, for a club as Athletic it explains some of the numerus years in the primera although (or after reading this) the limited transferunivers!

In that aspect, of course, it is of greatest importance that we keep our starplayers happy so they stay at the club. More important than signing our ever missing leftback... :-o

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
So he's called for thee U-17 World Cup in Nigeria which means he'll miss eight games, four in Primera, two in Copa del Rey and two in the Europa League. :thmbdown:

He should be like Oleguer and say :ass: to Spain imo. :mad:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Oh dear. Spain are bound to get past the group as well. Malawi,USA and UAE. Although the UAE may have their usual quota of players who look about 25.

Caught this on Wikipedia: "The 2009 edition has been under increasing threats from the armed rebel group, The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) and has warned FIFA against hosting the tournament in Nigeria."

·
Registered
421 Posts
So he's called for thee U-17 World Cup in Nigeria which means he'll miss eight games, four in Primera, two in Copa del Rey and two in the Europa League. :thmbdown:
Looked at fifa.com

the games:

26th against USA
29th against UAE
1st against Malavi

the playoff:

final 15th
semi 12th
quarter 8-9th
16-final 4-5th

So where is he now!? On a training camp with players from juvenil teams...!?

Isn´t it posible to get him home from that training camp for the games!?

:rollani:

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
It's clear that Muniain should have not been called for this tournament, he should be playing proffesional football for his club instead of a stupid, useless and imperialist amateur tournament threatend by terrorist groups.

Said that, once he is called, you should expect the same treatment others have had not so long ago. Why was Sergio Asenjo allowed to miss the spanish u-20 friendlies and play for Atlético the last 2 games before travelling to the u-20 WC and now Iker isn't allowed to play vs Sporting and Nacional in the exact same situation?

The reason given by the spanish u-17 coach is that there is a high risk of injury in these games.. and they cannot risk that. So... they don't tolerate the risk of injury playing for the club that pays his wages? what the **** is this? and then they risk all these kids lives sending them to a tournament threatened by terrorists? The spanish u-17 coach has said it very clear, they cannot afford a 6th fiasco in a youth categories since dumbo hierro and his retarded friends took over, and Iker pays for it. Assholes.

·
Registered
44,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spain's youth in 2009 has been really horrendous, I mean, Ginés is a very poor coach and López Caro? Jesus, the guy doesn't know anything about what a proper footballer looks like. Plus, Hierro and his mates set up Karanka to take care of the new U17 generation, but they're doing well now, although I'm sure they'll find a way to screw up when they get further into the U17 Euros next May..I don't know why Asenjo and Álvaro were given the green light by RFEF to play for Atléti against APOEL, but I reckon they want the Spanish clubs to do well in Champions League, though it's quite evident that Atléti screwed up..

Anyways, it doesn't really matter, the club lost him for quite a while and we had to play De Gea against Zaragoza because Roberto got injured, so yeah, it affects everyone, even more so on U20-level.

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
At youth level the main importance is developing the players, not winning titles.

I can't see how Muniain (or Asenjo or any other player in a similar situation) will benefit from playing a international youth tournament if they're already playing top division football.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.