Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...how would you field the current Holland squad of 22? labas posted a rather interesting lineup of his own in a previous topic, as hard as that may be to believe - just kidding, bro ;). Anyway, I think it would be interesting for all the Holland supporters on this board to formulate their ideal 11 based on the 22 selected yesterday.

Here's mine:
Van der Sar
Stam--De Boer
Reiziger---------------Zenden
Davids----Cocu
Makaay-------------------Overmars
Kluivert---Bergkamp

Looking forward to your responses!

·
XCC Winner 2001
4,440 Posts
------------Van Der Sar----------

Reiziger--Stam--F. de Boer--Numan

--------------Winter-------------
R. de Boer----Davids-----Overmars

-------Bergkamp----Kluivert------

All matches bench-sitter: Bosvelt!!

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Well, I have posted my 11 already, but here it is again, a bit more optional:

--------van der Sar------------

Reiziger---Stam---Cocu---Numan(Zenden)

Seedorf--Davids---Cocu---Zenden(Overmars)
(Makaay)
------------------Overmars(Bergkamp)--
----------Bergkamp(Kluivert)----

Basically what I mean is my first choice team would be the one that's up there, with the option of the ones in the --> (). Anyway for me this is the max. amount of players needed to be used in EURO 2000, unless of course injuries come along. Perhpas Ronald de Boer also as the third option to the right midfield place...? Players I do not want to see: Peter van Vossen, Pierre van Hooijdonk and Bert Konterman!!! aaaaaaa!!!

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
4-3-3:
__________vdSar_________
______Stam____FdBoer____
Reiziger___________Numan
_________Davids_________
RdBoer________Cocu______
____Bergkamp____Overmars
________Kluivert________

Back-ups:
Stam/FdBoer > Konterman. Reiziger and Cocu can also play here.
Reiziger > No real substitute now Ooijer has been dropped. RdBoer and Winter can play here.
Numan > Cocu/Zenden/vBronckhorst, but they're no real substitutes either.
Davids > Winter/Cocu/RdBoer
RdBoer > Bosvelt
Cocu > vBronckhorst/Davids
Bergkamp > Seedorf
Overmars > Zenden/vVossen
Kluivert > vHooydonk/Makaay

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
About Davids and not Winter as a defensive midfielder: Barcelona played this system most of the games last season, and it appeared that that position was the important position. If an opponent could get Guardiola (Barça's defensive midfielder, and I rate him way higher than Winter) out of the game, Barça was lost. Every big team knows that, and so do all the national managers. So they'll try to keep that man out of the game, and I think it's way more difficult to keep Davids out than Winter. That's why: Davids.

D

·
0 Posts
I know a very good 4-3-3, but I'll stick to 4-4-2

------------Van Der Sar------------
---------Stam-------F. De Boer-----
Reiziger----------------------Numan
--------------Davids---------------
R. De Boer-----------------Overmars
---------------Cocu----------------
----------Bergkamp-----------------
-------------------Kluivert--------

Or another option is Davids as attaking-midfielder and Winter as defensive midfielder, and Seedorf on the right, but that would leave Cocu and Ronald De Boer on the bench.
Zender is very good quality, but he'll remain the very useful stand-in for Overmars.
Just like Van Nistelrooij, anyone would put him in the basis, but Bergkamp would always be picked ahed of him, just like Overmars ahead of Zenden.

I

·
0 Posts
Personally, I was a bit surprised that Hasselbaink was left out...but I can't argue with Rijkaard that he has been rubbish for Holland. But the real shocker for me was the inclusion of Van Vossen who I think has never ever been good...and he's old too. Looking at the squad, we are a bit short on true right backs...Reiziger being the only genuine one. Having said that we have only one real left back too. But here is my first XI (4-4-2):
___________vd sar__________
______FDeBoer____Stam_______
Reiziger___________Cocu______
RDeBoer___Seedorf__Davids____
________Bergkamp_____Overmars
__________Kluivert___________

I'm actually surprised that many of you opt to leave Seedorf out...I think his physical presence is important in the centre even if he gives the ball away quite a lot...also, putting Cocu with davids would unbalance the centre with 2 left footers. Seedorf would be especially important if we come up against "fighting" sides like England and France.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Most of us leave Seedorf out indeed. He might be good for his club, but in Oranje he never creates any chances and most of his actions are failures. He always wants to take free-kicks or penalty-kicks, but he misses all (yes, also the pk's!). So thats why...

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
You should say especially penalties! The guy has absolutely no clue, how to take them. But I don't agree he's useless to the Oranje! He's scored 7 goals after all, and that's not bad for a 24 year old midfielder, you must admit Dutch! :)

------------------
Patryk L. AKA labas

HALA MADRID!!! Raúl Gonzalez RULES!!! Polska!!!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
------------Van der Sar-----------
Reiziger---Stam---F. de Boer---Numan(Zenden)
---------------Davids-------------
RdBoer------Cocu(Seedorf)-----Overmas(Zenden)
(Makaay)
---------Bergkamp----
----------------------Kluivert----

tactic: seems quite odd, 4-4-2 (or 5-3-2)doesn't have oranje style...

PS, I don't really wanna abandon Seedorf, but just so many midfield options here...just as Zenden, really don't wanna put him as a sub.
And the team must have Davids...

Oh, I found something strange, Labas, two Cocu in your squad and both of those positions have no sub (really like him that much???) :)

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
The first Cocu was supposed to be Frank de Boer! I don't know how that happened! Wierd :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Anyway to answer your question, yes I love Phillip Cocu and I rate him as one of the best players in the world. Severly underrated all-around player. Unfortunately as ever he plays for the wrong team :( :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I think real player pointed out Seedorf's situation perfectly. He isn't crap, otherwise he wasn't selected, but he has too many better players in front of him.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If I were Frank Rijkaard I would book a last-minute holdiay to the Carribean and leave the coaching of the Dutch national team to Louis van Gaal !!

Oh, and do not forget to take your "buddy" Peter van Vossen with you......

The Miss

I

·
0 Posts
Miss...you VG to coach Holland??After what happened at Barca I wouldnt want him at the helm. First of all, his arrogance is going to cause all sorts of internal problems...and mostly, I don't like the way his team plays...or at least his system. 4-4-2 is the name of the game at international level these days(even at club level you may argue) and his 3-4-3 is out of date.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I always thought van Gaal used a 1-4-1-2-2-1 tactic. IMO Rivaldo and Figo were never strikers in his squad so to say it was a tactic a la 3 strikers is bull. They were support nothting more. The problem with his tactic was precisel that - only 1 striker in Kluivert! Dani is much better and never got to play :(

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
In fact it was more a 1-2-3-2-2-1. Reiziger and Sergi played more at Guardiola's side than at Abelardo's and Frank's.... But I liked this system better than the 3-4-3 VG played the last couple of matches.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Iqbal -
Training Barcelona and training the Dutch National Team are two completely different things. Van Gaal knows that. I don't think his attitude would cause any problems with the players. A STRONG hand, that's exactly what they need.....

The Miss

A

·
0 Posts
Vesterveld
Reiziger---F. De Boer---Stam---Numan
Seedorf(R. De Boer)---Davids---Cocu--Overmars
Kluivert---Bergkamp

1 - 20 of 29 Posts