Xtratime Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this topic on the Belgian Forum some time ago, but with the arrival of the new forum, I figured it would be too much fun not to pick this topic up again (and I won't be making a habit out of recycling old topics, so sue me if you don't like the idea :D :tongue: ;) )

Here's the situation: you get a random team appointed to you with the job to coach them. With a limited budget of course (so no "dream team" possible), but with the tactic to turn into a whole. A bit like Championship Manager, but a little more abstract since it is about tactics rather than about players (of course it's not totally abstract: if you can use a player as an example of what you want for that position, go right ahead and spit it out ). And no, I don't claim to be a tactical genius ;) , so I go on (what I hope to be) common sense.

My team would then play in a flexible 4-4-2 with focus on the centra midfield, which would look like this:

-------------11--------9-----------

--8------10-------6----------7-----

--5-------4---------3----------2

-----------------1--------------------

remarks by number:
3: always the final man. should be a firm defender with a clear view and a no-nonsense tackle.
11: action maker, a bit smaller but with a good dribble
9: what I call the fysical striker. A good header who can shake his man off in a duel and then shoot.
6: defensive midfielder. strong points: ball recuperation and a good overview
8 and 7: flank players who rely more on speed and speed of execution which they especially can use when 10 is operating as a playmaker/"pivoteur"
10: attacking midfielder. In a more offensive match, he can post behind the strikers and act as a playmaker/"pivot". 6 can then either move to the center or get back-up from 4 who positions himself next to him for ball recuperation. The other defenders keep their position and stay behind the ball at all times.

That would have this result:
10 moving up:

---------11--------------9---------

----------------10-------------------

-----8--------6---------------7-----

or with 4 moving ahead as well:

-----------11-------------9-----------

-----------------10--------------------

--8-------4------------6---------7----

------5----------3-----------2----------

When moving into a defensive strategy, 6 can easily blend in in the defense, thus moving into a 5-3-2 like this (or 1-4-3-2 if you will)

------------11---------------9-----------

--------8----------10---------------7----

------5--------4----------6--------2----

--------------------3--------------------

-------------------1---------------------

Strong point: during a game you can gradually change your strategy without moving more than two players at once, unless of course my nr.10 moves ahead and 4 joins 6 as a backup.

Weak point: a lot will depend on organisation and especially on my nr. 10. But then again, a lot of teams do and if all goes well, he'll abviously be my star player. :)

So that pretty much sums it up. What are your thoughts on this one? How would you let your team play? Would you go for the fearless attack or rather choose for a defensive style and maybe even a bit of catenaccio? Or do you have any remarks or questions about my team? Just give a holler and let me know. See you!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rasmus said:
I might have misunderstood your intentions with number 3, but if i haven't i have a question.You play with one sweeper, 2 backs and one central defender. If the sweeper must be the last man at all time he can't be told to mark a certain player all the time, cuz that would make it impossible to be the last player all the time. This is no problem when the opponents play with one striker but what would you do if you play a team with 2 strikers? who should mark the final striker?
Well, the main strength of my team is that is adaptable towards the strenghts of the opponent, even during the game. The meaning of my final man is bit double since, apart from the original footballing of course, I consider the final man to be a sort of last resort, the guy with a simple, firm yet correct and fair tackle to get rid of a sudden (counter-)attack.

If a team opposing mine comes with two or three strikers, I would put my central defender (4 in this case) a little back, maybe even next to the final man, or a bit ahead depending on:

- how deep the opposing strikers play
- their speed and need of room (Emile Mpenza still needs quite a lot of room whereas Constantinou or Van Nistelrooy shouldn't be given an inch)

But then again, my final man wouldn't be the guy to leave any breathing space whatsoever. ;) however I would not often go for a man-to-man situation, actually. Maybe if the situation really calls for it, e.g. player of mine gets sent off, being behind in the last ten minutes,... That kind of thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts