Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1) Back to 1966 WC final , to find out if Geoff Hurst's goal ever crossed the line.

2)Eric Cantona's Karate kick in an incredible stupid Crustal Palace fan's chest

3)Vassilis Hadjipanagis' performance against OSFE at the cup final.

4) back to 1953 Wembley stadium , when Hungry led by 'Chubby Fella' Puskas , showed the English how the game should really be played(6-3 final score)

5)Back to 1960 European Cup final at Hampden Park , to witness possibly the finest ever performance by a club team , Real madrid's 7-3 annihilation of Eintracht Frankfurt!

·
Registered
54 Posts
!

Jonny Knoxville said:
5)Back to 1960 European Cup final at Hampden Park , to witness possibly the finest ever performance by a club team , Real madrid's 7-3 annihilation of Eintracht Frankfurt!
Yes, that´s the one! :D

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
1) The European Championship final in Gothenburg '92. Where Denmark won 2-0 against Germany. What a moment :proud:!

2) The CL final in Vienna (Ernst Happel Stadion) '95. Where Ajax won 1-0 against mighty Milan.

3) I think I would make this a small tour. Where I would visit some of Brøndby and Ajax' biggest historical moments. Such as Ajax' 3 CL finals in a row in the 70's.

With Brøndby I think I would visit Wildparkstadion (Karlsruhe) for the 2nd leg of the 3rd round in the UEFA Cup '96. We'd lost at home 3-1 and it seemed almost impossible to win the match and go through on agg. But as history says. We did manage to do the impossible. Brøndby won the 2nd leg in Germany 5-0 and we were through to the next round :proud:.
Another match I would visit is the CL match against Bayern Munich in Parken '97. We won 2-1 after having been down 1-0. Allan Ravn took an impossible shot from 40 meters or something. It hit the far top corner of the goal and Kahn couldn't do sh!t about it! A truely amazing goal.

That's all I could come up with for now ;)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Easy easy easy.

29th November 1997 ... Australia vs Iran ... Melbourne Cricket Ground.

I would alert the authorities to that [email protected] Peter Hoare, who jumped the fence and tore the net down seconds after Aurelio Vidmar put us 2-0 up in the second-half ...

As everyone knows the game was halted for a good 10 minutes when we absolutely had Iran on the rack and this seizure in play allowed all the momentum to ebb away and for Iran to regain their composure.

The rest is history.

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
Yakubu said:
2) The CL final in Vienna (Ernst Happel Stadion) '95. Where Ajax won 1-0 against mighty Milan.
This is my choice too, furthermore I would like to go to the semi-final Brazil - Holland at France'98 to kill the ref that didn't give a PK in extratime after a foul on Van Hooydonk.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Sweden in 1958, the World Cup

I would go to Sweden in 1958, so I could watch Brazil win our first World Cup with the most powerful squad ever to win a World Cup.

I would witness Pelé showing the footballing world how perfect the game can be; Garrincha blazing through defenses under the audience's laughter and applause; the imperial Didi (who would be chosen as the Best Player of the Cup) ruling the midfield with his impossibly long passes; Nilton Santos demonstrating how a wingback could attack; and the World Cup coming home for the first time.
:dazed: :proud: :cool: :strong: :smileani:
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Jonny Knoxville said:
1) Back to 1966 WC final , to find out if Geoff Hurst's goal ever crossed the line.
No need to go back in time for that one, if it was a goal Ronaldhino's was a cross that went bad...

I would love to see Eusebio's 4 goals against N.Korea after being three down & watch Pele in his prime...

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Seeing Brazil x Uruguay in 1950
then Brazil x France and Sweden in 58
Brazil and Czechs on 62
The whole of the 70 WC
Invasion of Corinthians fans of Maracana in 76
Corinthians win in 77 BASILIO WE LOVE YOU!!!
Flamengo x Atletico 80

WOrld Cup 82
etc..etc..etc..etc

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
If I could go back and watch any footballing event, I'd give anything to go back in time so I could watch the invitational tournaments they held in Mexico City with my father. He calls them "pentagonals and hexagonals" depending on how many teams played. He got to watch Pele with Santos and Garrincha with Botafogo, plus various european powers playing against a couple of local teams like Necaxa and Atlante. It's those stories that hepled create my deep affection for brazilian football and for football in general. I can't think of anything better than watching Pele or Garrincha with my dad. :)

As for "famous" events, I'd love to have seen the 1970 WC final since it was in Mexico City and was won by the greatest side in football history.

As a Milan fan, I'd have loved to watch Milan dismantle Real MAdrid 5-0 on the road to their 1989 CL title win. On the same season, I'd have loved to see the 1989 CL final live as two of my all-time favorites (Gullit and Van Basten) each scored two goals. :)

Oh hell, I'd have loved to watch every match for Argentina as they marched to victory in the 86 WC, also in Mexico.

And lastly, for pure footballing beauty, I'd have loved to see all of Brazil's matches in the 82 WC as few teams, if any, have played football like they did. It's incredible that those guys didn't win the whole thing.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
In no particular order:

Brazil winning the 1970 World Cup (4-1 over Italy)
AC Milan winning the 1994 European Cup (4-0 over Barça)
Real Madrid winning the 1960 European Cup (7-3 over Eintrach Frankfurt)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I'd go back to 1966... find my father and tell him there's a market for pet rocks.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Alright, then - I'll go with the Chia Pet.

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
England vs. Germany in many occasions :D
in 66 ,90 ,96 ,& 2001

i guess all England games in Euro 96
England vs. Italy in Rome 1997

England vs. Argentina 86 & 98

Ireland vs. Italy 94

France - Spain euro 84

for Liverpool all their European cup wins ,the 4 of them ,& that Fa cup Final against Arsenal!!!
RM their win in Hampden Park

for the arab teams :
Saudi Arabia vs. Belgium in 94
Algeria vs. Germany 82
Morocco vs. Scotland WC98

not in any order !

·
Registered
24 Posts
You've got it all wrong, the #1 moment you'd want to go back to is the 1996 MLS Cup match between DC United and the LA Galaxy, where DC United staged an incredible comeback to win it all -- down 0-2 in the Championship game, but incredibly score 3 goals in the final 17 minutes of the match (including an xtratime goal from Eddie Pope) to win it all, making history as the first ever MLS champion !!

Also, Diego's "Hand of God" WC'86 game wouldn't be bad to go back to either.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
100% has to be the creation of football
i'll be there and name it something like
swiftwilly ball
so i can be remembered in history for years years years etc etc
:D

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
100% has to be the creation of football
i'll be there and name it something like
swiftwilly ball
so i can be remembered in history for years years years etc etc
:D
LoL
maybe ur nickname in XT would have been Football if they called it Swiftwilly ball:D

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Great topic btw :D

January 1st 1943 when we beat Celtic 8-1. :proud:

Or 1972 when we won the European Cup Winners Cup. :proud:

Or May 1999 when we won 3-0 at Celtic Park to win the league and eventually went on to beat them 1-0 in the cup final to secure the treble. :proud:

I'd like to go back to 1993 and tell someone that Bernard Tapie was bribing everyone before it was too late so that Rangers could've got into the first ever Champions League final.

I would love to go back to the entire season 1996/97 when the famous glasgow rangers beat celtic 4 times in the league and won their 9th title in a row. :proud: :proud: :proud:

Or perhaps go back to 1998 and demand that the players give 100% in trying to win 10 in a row. :cry: :cry:

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
It's an easy choice. Arsenal's 2-0 victory at Anfield on 26th May 1989 :proud:

For anyone that doesn't know, we needed to win by two clear goals to win the title, otherwise, it would go to our opposition, Liverpool.

Due to the Hillsborough disaster, the FA Cup Final had already been played, but the league season had been extended due to cancellation of matches. Liverpool had already won the FA Cup against arch-rivals Everton, and were calling it, "The Night We Win the Double".

Liverpool were 19 points behind Arsenal at one point, but, as Anfield tradition goes, Liverpool made up with a scintillating run from January to the end of the season.

Arsenal had not beaten Liverpool at Anfield since 1974, and Liverpool had not lost a single game by two goals at home for over 3 years. Bruce Grobbelaar had not lost a game in any game in which he played that season.

The first half passed without any real action. The second half, however, started with a goal from Arsenal. After 52 minutes, Alan Smith headed a Winterburn cross into the Liverpool goal to make it 1-0 to the Arsenal. Liverpool contested the goal, since the linesman had put up his flag. Depite the Liverpool protestations, the goal was allowed to stand. However, we needed another goal to wrestle the title from Dalglish's grasp.

No more real chances were made, though Michael Thomas had a chance from 12-yards 3/4 of the way through the half.

With time ticking away, it seemed as though Liverpool would win the title. From a Liverpool attack, John Lukic cleared the ball out to Lee Dixon, who in turn threaded it to Alan Smith. Smith lobbed the ball over the Liverpool defence, and on to Michael Thomas. Grobbelaar came out of his goal to close the angle, Steve Nicol came across to tackle the make-shift Arsenal centre-forward.

The defender tackled Michael Thomas, but instead, the ball ricocheted off Nicol, and back into the path of Thomas. Nicol and Houghton attempted to track back and get the ball again, but Thomas' pace took it away from them.

Grobbelaar spread himself, but Thomas out-waited the Zimbabwean keeper, and flicked the ball over his body and into the right-hand corner of the goal.

The clock since that 91 minutes and 26 seconds had elapsed.

2-0 Arsenal. Mayhem.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts