Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Phil McNulty
BBC Sport Online in Kobe

England's players insist they will win with dignity if they end their curse against Argentina in the World Cup encounter in Sapporo.

Captain David Beckham and striker Michael Owen recall the bitterness of being taunted by Argentina's players after they lost on penalties in the last 16 of France 98.

Argentina's victorious team goaded England when the two coaches were parked next to each other after the game - a memory Beckham and his team-mates will use to fire them to glory four years on.

This match is about more than the men on the pitch - it's also important in a historical context

Juan Sebastian Veron

Veron brings up past

Bielsa's "Silence law"

The scenes added to the bitter disappointment felt by an England side who had failed to avenge the quarter-final defeat in the infamous Diego Maradona "Hand of God" quarter-final in Mexico in 1986.

Beckham hopes it will prove third time lucky and said: "We know what this game means to the nation, but I know we will act a lot better than Argentina did then.

"I'm not criticising them because they went through to the next round, but I know we will behave differently if we win. That is their way.

"They are cunning players and if they can use things to gain the advantage they will do that. The English are not as cunning as that.

"We are professionals. We wouldn't expect our players to play certain tricks - it's a different mentality.

"I definitely won't be doing what I did in 1998 again. Maybe what happened in 1998 was a blessing in disguise. Of course I didn't want it to happen, but it made me the person and player I am today.

Beckham confident of staying the distance
"There is a lot surrounding England and Argentina games after what happened in the last World Cup and in World Cups before that, but we have to forget the past and remember what's in the future. We are looking forward to this game."

And Owen added: "I have played against Argentina before and against Argentine players before.

It would be nice to beat them and get our own back

Michael Owen

"They do play a different style of football. There is a lot more shirt-pulling and grabbing, so it is easier said than done not to react to it, but it is going to be heat of the moment stuff and hope we will keep our heads."

Owen admitted that he would have been as happy as Argentina's players had England won four years ago, but will use the memory of their taunting as a motivation this time around.

"Certain things like that do rest in the memory, so it would be nice to beat them and get our own back."

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is pondering changes to his team after the disappointing opening draw against Sweden, with Kieron Dyer and Nicky Butt potential candidates to win a place against Argentina.

Liverpool striker Emile Heskey is set to retain his place, despite criticism of his display on the left flank against Sweden.

Heskey tormented Argentina playing in a central striking role in a friendly at Wembley - and Owen delivered strong backing for his Anfield team-mate.

He said: "On his day Emile is a handful and sometimes unplayable.

"I'm hoping that day is Friday. Any team playing against Emile would have to be on their guard."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go on lads show them what sporting winners are all about! ;)

·
6,645 Posts
They'll lose big time....

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Who'll lose, Krist? Argentina? Good to see you back us, too...

·
6,645 Posts
I mean England, of course....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Beckham would 'do a Maradona'

David Beckham has revealed that he would be prepared to score a 'Hand of God' goal against Argentina if it ensured England of victory.

Beckham said he is not going into the match planning to cheat, and initially said he did not know if he could copy Maradona.

But he then changed his mind and said: "Of course I would."

Beckham added that England's players are "definitely not cynical enough".

However, earlier he and Michael Owen said they would try to win with dignity.

Argentina's victorious team taunted England when the two team coaches were parked next to each other after the last match-up in 1998.

The scenes added to the bitter disappointment felt by an England side who had failed to avenge the quarter-final defeat in the infamous Diego Maradona "Hand of God" quarter-final in Mexico in 1986.

Beckham hopes it will prove third time lucky and said: "We know what this game means to the nation, but I know we will act a lot better than Argentina did then.

"I'm not criticising them because they went through to the next round, but I know we will behave differently if we win. That is their way.

"They are cunning players and if they can use things to gain the advantage they will do that. The English are not as cunning as that.

"We are professionals. We wouldn't expect our players to play certain tricks - it's a different mentality.

"I definitely won't be doing what I did in 1998 again. Maybe what happened in 1998 was a blessing in disguise. Of course I didn't want it to happen, but it made me the person and player I am today.

"There is a lot surrounding England and Argentina games after what happened in the last World Cup and in World Cups before that, but we have to forget the past and remember what's in the future.

"We are looking forward to this game."

And Owen added: "I have played against Argentina before and against Argentine players before.

"They do play a different style of football. There is a lot more shirt-pulling and grabbing, so it is easier said than done not to react to it, but it is going to be heat of the moment stuff and hope we will keep our heads."
Win it with dignity my a*se.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes and which rag of sh!te did you pull that crap from?

The sun per chance?;)

If you read that piece of crap and believe anything in it then you might as well go read teamtalk:D

"Beckham said he is not going into the match planning to cheat, and initially said he did not know if he could copy Maradona.

But he then changed his mind and said: "Of course I would." "

Probably referring to Maradona's less controversial goal;)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Krist Novoselic said:
I mean England, of course....
And you base this assumption upon what?

That England will not use the same dirty tricks as Argentina?

That England players won't try to get Argentinians injured?

That England players won't be drawn into insulting Argentina?

As for Beckham's comments - you can always trust the Sun to mis-interpret anything, so don't read into it.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really?

Then I apologise. That said it still sounds like something reported in the Sun:D

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Show us the actual quote, and we'll judge Beckham's comments. If the source just pulls out a few words, then you can't judge it. Maybe the interviewer (or if press conference, questioner), asked, "Would you like to 'Do a Maradona' like he did against you?" At this, Beckham might reply, "No - I don't intend to copy Maradona's actions in 1986." He then gets a strange look from the reporter, and changes his answer to, "On the other hand, yes."

This could be interpreted as you've said there, or, as I would, as though he would want to score one like Diego's 2nd, but not his 1st.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well it sure is bad that other teams cant be as good when it comes to sportmanship. Hands down, England is the cleanest team in the world:)

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
RazorUK said:
Really?

Then I apologise. That said it still sounds like something reported in the Sun:D
Maybe the lyrical content of the Sun isn't the most reliable, but I do like the links on their homepage to the page3 girls :horny::drool:;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
That is the typical whining of always, that they will win clean, :cry: (that's if he really said that)yeah right and argentina will win dirty? hehehe, stop the crying, or better keep it going, I'm touched by England's honesty and Beckham should be given knighthood for being such an honest subject.:howler: I don't think argentina will play to tie this, because we need to win, if Sweden beats Nigeria, and we tie England we are also doomed, so better stop reading absurd comments and worry more about what is going to happen in the field.If "the daily mirror" or "the sun" or any of those reliable sources going around saying those idiotic things think that we are not going to open a can of whoop ass on them because they will say we cheated they are dead wrong as much as that we will not celebrate in front of their faces if we win, they said that (if they said that)because they are mentally ready to get their:ass: kicked and they simply do not want us to taunt them because the daily mirror and the sun will take care of that when they go back home, that will be after they get tired of saying that we cheated.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Good try with trying to take the moral highground, but it won't work because, sad to say, the Argentinian National team does have a reputation for cheating in matches against England, which is, quite frankly, deserved. When you have at least half a dozen people on here praying for another hand of god goal, as opposed to the second, legitimate and ultimately classy winner, that, to me says something about the mentality of a certain class of (Argentinian) fans going into this match. Yes, it is entirely possible that Argentina will win this match. If you do it be playing better football than us, then I for one will be glad to congratulate you on your effort. If we win, and do it honestly, then I expect the same from you. But if there is another controversial decision, which, lets face it, is very likely given the perverse importance placed on this match by Argentina, and you achieve a result that is tainted by a lack of respect for the rules, you'll getting nothing but condemnation. There is such a thing as winning with honour. The result means nothing if the way it is achieved is outside the accepted boundaries of the rules. This is not a war. All is not fair, if it encompasses flagrant disregard of the laws governing football.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have been sick of the unsporting Argentina for years.

Come on England! Fight fight fight! Show me your determination. Show me you can do it:fero:

·
Registered
28 Posts
English dignity????

Firstly tell me what Argentina does on the field that is so different to any other national team apart from playing better(last 2 years)honestly!........cos it seems you try and find any excuse for losing.....they cheated, they played dirty...any excuse apart from being outplayed because that would be to hard to swallow.

Regarding DIGNITY of the english.....despite trying to explain Beckham's response.......the topic was 'cheating' as the 'Hand of God' is labelled and he initially said he isn't planning then said "of Course I would"....not "it depends on the moment" or "I may who knows?" ....to even suggest some dignity but he quickly changed his mind and graciously said (fu<k yeah!) :D :D .....I mean "of course I would".....if you can't understand the paragraghs then take it to your english teacher.......so don't try and paint the english team as better people or players and the Argentines as cheaters.

If what happenned with Beckham and Simeone wasn't caught by the ref and he wasn't sent off would you consider his kick to Simeone(fact that he tried to hurt) was fair?..... or dirty play?, some would say dirty tricks!

EVERY team unfortunately have their tricks.......just some are better than others:)

Anyways that's what I think....regardless of all this talk....it's going to be a bloody great game....either team can outplay the other on a given day........let's hope for a clean and exciting game.... goodluck to all.

Vamos Argentina!

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
EVERY team unfortunately have their tricks.......just some are better than others
obviously not argentina, because we always see them fouling/cheating

English players IMO are too honest, and i hope it remains like this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: English dignity????

Rosario27 said:
EVERY team unfortunately have their tricks.......just some are better than others:)
:finger: Did your team forget those tricks today? :dielaugh::D

·
Registered
470 Posts
"If we win, we win with Dignity!"

Your boys indeed win it. Congrat England.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
so much talking bullsh¡t about dignity, and in the same play of the penalty both beckham and owen dived like...
the penalty was nonexistant. please, id¡ots who didnt see the tv picture from pochetinos back (thats shows how owen acted) dont comment anything.
anyway, congrats to all the english. you played with real guts this match.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts