Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...do you think Samuel Eto'o could form a partnership with him ?

My problem with Eto'o (I call him Mr Greedy!) is that he seems to want to do everything by himself, and I thought he never looked interested in trying to form a strike partnership with Larsson !!!

Maybe he got used to having to do everything by himself at Mallorca, or maybe he just liked being the star man there!

At Barca, there are lots of great players who play together as a team, and many times I've seen Guily, or Larsson unselfishly square the ball into Eto'o for him to score.
However, on the other hand, I have saw Eto'o with the chance to set up Larsson, or Guily, and he will not pass to them, greedily wasting a chance himself.

So is it worthwhile Barca bringing in another striker to replace Larsson, (someone with heading ability!) or should we just continue as we are ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
I think you're being too hard on Eto'o here. I don't really see Barca needing another passer, as we already have Xavi, Deco, Ronnie, etc doing that, but rather a finisher, which Eto'o is. He wastes chances, which is a given for any striker (just ask Saviola, or god forbid, Kluivert), but he also scores quite frequently (he is pichichi after all), so I think he can be satisfied with his contribution.

Still, we NEED another striker. Eto'o won't be able to play every single minute for the rest of the season, and we don't really have any other real strikers. Loaning Tomasson from Milan for the rest of the season seems like an attractive deal for Barca, if recalling Saviola isn't possible. They'll both be CL-tied, I know, but getting a good striker for half a season who isn't, will be most difficult.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
i agree 100%! i also think eto'o is quite selfish at times... and soemtimes i get the feeling that he's trying too hard tobe biggest star in the team and even trying to overshadow ronaldinho haha...

i would think we need ots gin anyone.. we still got messi and we got ohter playas who can score.. and motta, gerrard are coming back too.. so should have mcuh problem in the defensive area too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
i dont think etoo is that great in the finishing area.. he's got pace and technique..but not a pure finisher like larson or van nistelrooy... with all the great number of chances he has.. it's normal that he's the pichichi.. i think most credit should go to xavi, deco, ronni... haha i have nothing against eto'o personally.. just my opinion.. he's got the potential to be supersuperstar if he plays with a better mind
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
I must disagree, again... Eto'o has shown some clinical finishing this season (goals against Zaragoza, Mallorca and Milan come to mind), while Larsson, honestly, has been piss poor in that area. Larsson has a lot of other qualities no doubt, but at Barca he seems to have lost his confidence in front of goal...

and since you had to bring up ruud, how many goals has he scored in open play in the premiership this season...that's right, ZERO...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Both

I wouldn't say either of them has been entirely good or entirely bad.
Eto'o was eager to prove all his skills in the early stage and dribbled way too much without scoring anything, but after while he had his clinical October when he was Mr 100%. Lately he has returned a little of the dribbling but still scoring.
At the same time Larsson began very good but started to missed some chances and IMHO never got a decent chance since that.
 

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
What else does Eto'o have to do to convince? His goal rate is over the best strikers of Europe and, honestly, I prefer having an Eto'o than a "community player" as Kluivert. Eto'o is not more selfish than Ronaldo, for example. It's usual in the strikers. In any case, I think that we're talking about him when he has the ball. Without the ball, he works for the team a lot. Just look at the pressure that he does and the big amount of balls that he recovers. He's the first defender and I think that it shows that he's overall a team player.

He's confident and he trusts in his skills, he's doing quite well. Maybe he was too individualistic in a specific chance, but in general, I can't complain about him. I rather have 1 Etoo than 100 Kluivert's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
haha maybe rudd is a wrong example.. hahaha and if u have to bring up kluivert.. then etoo is way better.. im not saying etoo's bad.. but imo..he's more of an all round playa than a finisher... that is if he is less 'individualistic'
 

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
Joined
·
40,147 Posts
Tyson said:
haha maybe rudd is a wrong example.. hahaha and if u have to bring up kluivert.. then etoo is way better.. im not saying etoo's bad.. but imo..he's more of an all round playa than a finisher... that is if he is less 'individualistic'
We already knew that he wasn't a pure striker, he never was this way. Actually, I didn't expect him to score so many goals, he's going to break his own record very soon. What he's doing is over my expectatives.
 

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
10,913 Posts
But still another striker is a necessity. With Larsson out injured , we have only one specialist striker. And any other injury to Giuly could leave us severely short of options upfront. And god forbid an injuury to Eto'o. Tomasson on loan seems to be the perfect solution to this. Although not exactly perfect , hes cup-tied for the ECL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
hello to all this is my first post in the Barca forums...
I would think that spending some money on a good striker in january ( if saviola doesnt return) would be more reasonable!
there are quite a few players i have in mind like Gilardino, Kuijt, Santa Cruz, Ewerthon, Tevez, Cesar Delgado, D. Villa, to name a few... who could move without spending too much and would definitely add another dimension to the FCB strikeforce
but i am not sure about the whole non-EU situation, is there still place for another player?
if only FCB had the cash to bring in F. Torres, just imagining him next to Ronnie and Etoo brings tears to my eyes :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,405 Posts
these players are out of budget!!
we'll get 2 players maximum on loan and we'll not buy any player during the january transfer market!!
 

·
Freedom for all
Joined
·
16,851 Posts
Koeman4 said:
What else does Eto'o have to do to convince? His goal rate is over the best strikers of Europe and, honestly, I prefer having an Eto'o than a "community player" as Kluivert. Eto'o is not more selfish than Ronaldo, for example. It's usual in the strikers. In any case, I think that we're talking about him when he has the ball. Without the ball, he works for the team a lot. Just look at the pressure that he does and the big amount of balls that he recovers. He's the first defender and I think that it shows that he's overall a team player.

He's confident and he trusts in his skills, he's doing quite well. Maybe he was too individualistic in a specific chance, but in general, I can't complain about him. I rather have 1 Etoo than 100 Kluivert's.
I don't know. With 100 Kluiverts you could pack them on the goal line and no-one would score into us ever. :D
 

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Joined
·
18,041 Posts
What else does Eto'o have to do to convince? His goal rate is over the best strikers of Europe and, honestly, I prefer having an Eto'o than a "community player" as Kluivert. Eto'o is not more selfish than Ronaldo, for example. It's usual in the strikers. In any case, I think that we're talking about him when he has the ball. Without the ball, he works for the team a lot. Just look at the pressure that he does and the big amount of balls that he recovers. He's the first defender and I think that it shows that he's overall a team player.

He's confident and he trusts in his skills, he's doing quite well. Maybe he was too individualistic in a specific chance, but in general, I can't complain.
Exactly, in fact there are lots of times he was not sellfish, HE IS PURE CLASS, and with the NEEDED sellfish quote to be an excellent striker, many times when a striker pass it is more lack of confidence than being unsellfish.
They live for that, they are bought for that, and if he passes more you will be saying you need a finisher...errr..
Etoo is pure class and btw he ALWAYS played that way, irreverent, not need to overshadow anyone, he thinks grand of himself always, and he is, I love his confidence and commintment with the GAME, with PLAYING, not just workibng.
HE has balls, skills, and is a great team player too, how many times did you see them even following a rival and recovering the ball? I saw it many, I don't want him to do it, but just shows his solidarity too, certainly I now get why are constantly bitching of players, and constant transfers, you are getting sick people, big clubs in Europe instead of wanting to make place to their great Iniestas, always buying, instead of having patience, always complaining, and buyng whole new team amny times with no idea backing, just to buy, is a problem that come with money, and sure happened in Argentina/Brazil too, at this present moment all the team needs is some back up for the def mid area that has many injures, and REST for many key players, is not even half season and you are burning them. But mostly sorry, I will be harsh but seeing your threads there is only one conlussion:
NO HAY PORONGA QUE LES VENGA BIEN...ask Koeman if you don't get spanish...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Eto's individualism is good for the team.He runs, he dripples , he hussles by doing that he creating chances for himself and opening more space for other players to go forward wich is what (Barca) had been doing so well this season so far.if you watched that game with (Real) you would rcongize the 1 goal was pure effort from him(eto),the third goal was also solely gaind from (eto's) dribbling skill and speed.Put, i do think that he holds the ball sometimes longer than he shouldn't ,wich give defenders time to spiol a dangourse stituation or an attack.(Eto) so far is effective, and i hope he stays this way and keep up his effort.worst kind of striker are ones that can't creat chances for them selfs , (eto)is not .we should get someone like him if we have to .Keep it always in attaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack mode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,162 Posts
Anelka!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
sethwyatt9 said:
I think you're being too hard on Eto'o here. I don't really see Barca needing another passer, as we already have Xavi, Deco, Ronnie, etc doing that, but rather a finisher, which Eto'o is. He wastes chances, which is a given for any striker (just ask Saviola, or god forbid, Kluivert), but he also scores quite frequently (he is pichichi after all), so I think he can be satisfied with his contribution.

Still, we NEED another striker. Eto'o won't be able to play every single minute for the rest of the season, and we don't really have any other real strikers. Loaning Tomasson from Milan for the rest of the season seems like an attractive deal for Barca, if recalling Saviola isn't possible. They'll both be CL-tied, I know, but getting a good striker for half a season who isn't, will be most difficult.


The Italian Serie A goalscorer - Bojinov:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Isn't Bojinov non-EU? Anyway, the point was to get a striker for half a season since both Larsson and Saviola will return in the summer. Bojinov could be a Barca-target in the future, but I think staying at Lecce would be best for him for now...
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Top