Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks likely that Juventus would have achieved its goal of reaching the top 4 this year. Assuming nothing catastrophic happens and we remain in 3rd place, we need to think about who we should bring in.

I am reasonably happy with the squad - but I think we need to beef up the defence and add 1 superstar for the midfield. I am reasonably happy with our strikers and don't forget that we should be getting back Giovinco back from loan who is having a fantastic season and could be a real Del Piero understudy - Palladino looks like he is being groomed as a winger more than a striker.

The "superstar" needs to be someone in or close to their prime who will no doubt come with a big price tag. Moggi said that if he were in charge he would sign C. Ronaldo - and actually I agree with him on that. If Juve want to seriously compete with the big boys we need a big name as Del Piero and Nedved can only hold the fort for so long - we need someone in their prime.

I would also look to bring back Zambrotta. He is looking to return to Italy and we should try to get him ahead of Milan. His market value has gone down since we sold him - and I think he can return to his best at Juve - he will also bring a lot of experience at the back in the champions league. I would also opt for Barzagli in the center of defence and Andrade should return from injury next season.

We also need to get a better reserve goalkeeper.

My squad with new additions in large caps:

---------------------Buffon--------------------
----------------------GK2?--------------------

Grygera----BARZAGLI---Chiellini---ZAMBROTTA
Zebina-----Andrade----Legrottaglie---Molinaro

C. RONALDO-----Sissoko----Zanetti-----Nedved
Camoranesi------Nocerino---Tiago?-----Palladino
Salihamidzic-------------------------(Salihamidzic)

-----------Trezeguet------Del Piero-----------
-----------Iaquinta--------GIOVINCO---------

Tiago is a big question mark......we would need to get someone else who is could at holding possession and distribution - perhaps someone like Donadel.....cannot think of many good targets here.

Been very impressed with Sissoko since he has arrived - it must be said.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bringing back Zambrotta, on a cheap that is, would be fine by me. All that traitor crap is pointless when in fact he's still a great left back and would certainly shine again back in Italy.

We need a leader in defense, a champion. I'd always go for Cannavaro but he's close to finished now so there's no really point. The best option would IMO be Samuel, him and Chiellini would form an amazing duo. Question is would Inter be willing to off-load him, we missed our chance before the season started as he was pretty much available.

Palladino is not cut out for Juve IMO. The guy is 24 already and he's still an average attacker, far behind Trez, Iaquinta and Alex. As a winger he's below average IMO. I think there's no more potential to be sucked out of him. DP can still cut it, years are not getting the best of him still, so in my eyes there's no need for another attacker. Trezeguet guarantees goals, Iaquinta has exceeded all my expectations, even with limited play-time. Those 3 are fine for attack plus one additional rotating attacker. I could live with Palladino for one more year but only in a Zalayeta-esque role. Splashing millions on Huntelaar, or worse Amauri would be pointless as neither of those would accept a rotational role. I'd only be willing to splash big on Benzema, but he's just a dream. Knowing Lyon's president, his destination will be Chelsea.

We need to improve our central midfield and bring in some fluent passing. My ideal choice would be Luka Modric but from what I see there's no point in dreaming about him, Secco is obviously clueless. So the best alternative would be Hamsik, again hard-working midfielder, with a good shot and excellent passing. Coupled with Giovinco, Camoranesi and Nedved we'd have a pretty solid attacking midfield roster.

So in my head, I'd hope for something like this:

-------------Buffon----------------

Zebina---Samuel--Chiellini--Zambrotta

-------Sissoko----Modric/Hamsik----

Camoranesi------------------Giovinco

--------Del Piero---Trezeguet------

It doesn't necessarilly have to be that formation, Giovinco is more of a trequarista so perhaps some diamond-shaped midfield with him behind the strikers. All in all I don't want to see a flat 4-4-2 with 2 uber-defensive midfielders in the middle, leaving Camo and Nedved to everything. That just doesn't work, we are simply not creating enough chances.

So to recap; bring in Samuel, Zambrotta, Modric or Hamsik and bring back Giovinco.

·
Registered
24,134 Posts
I am unsure if it was more humorous the last time or this time when you talk about buying Cristiano Ronaldo. Clearly you must have lived on a hut deep in the woods of siberia if you have any form of impression that you can get him.

·
Administrator
53,292 Posts
Your comprehension skills are rusty Johan, he said Moggi said C.Ronaldo (just to score cheap empty points), but went further on that a big name similar C.Ronaldo (in their prime) is needed to improve are attacking midfield urgently. Not CRon himself.

Agree in general with Vlatkos team (only unrealistic part of it is Samuel, if something drastic doesnt happen, unlikely). Though I ofcourse rather go for Diego then Modric or Hamsik, but both of them can play CM in Pirlo role instead of take an AM position.

Both of you seem to have forgotten Marchiso, who btw seems to have better Serie A rating then the breakthrough player that is Hamsik. Hamsik is more attacking force then allround like Marchiso, but Marchiso has shown he deserves his spot in Juve next season, as a backup instead of Nocerino.

Catenaccio (allways great to see you have lineups in ALL of your posts :D) If you havent noticed, you have the reverse positions on Giovinco and Palla. Giovinco is Treaquartista, or a Left winger who roams in, like Nedved. Not really a forward or a striker even if he can sub that role for time to time (it doesnt serve his strenghts to be high up and get less space). And well Palla...we all seen how useless he is in general, but he is, or should be, way less useless as a forward then a winger (though who knows, can suck as much in forward, he hasnt been played there much, for obvious reasions). As a winger he is just downright horrible in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agree in general with Vlatkos team (only unrealistic part of it is Samuel, if something drastic doesnt happen, unlikely). Though I ofcourse rather go for Diego then Modric or Hamsik, but both of them can play CM in Pirlo role instead of take an AM position.

Both of you seem to have forgotten Marchiso, who btw seems to have better Serie A rating then the breakthrough player that is Hamsik. Hamsik is more attacking force then allround like Marchiso, but Marchiso has shown he deserves his spot in Juve next season, as a backup instead of Nocerino.

Catenaccio (allways great to see you have lineups in ALL of your posts :D) If you havent noticed, you have the reverse positions on Giovinco and Palla. Giovinco is Treaquartista, or a Left winger who roams in, like Nedved. Not really a forward or a striker even if he can sub that role for time to time (it doesnt serve his strenghts to be high up and get less space). And well Palla...we all seen how useless he is in general, but he is, or should be, way less useless as a forward then a winger (though who knows, can suck as much in forward, he hasnt been played there much, for obvious reasions). As a winger he is just downright horrible in.
That's exactly why I don't prefer Diego, he needs a specific role, right behind the strikers, whereas both Hamsik and Modric can play as CM's and even AM's if need be. And with Giovinco back, I think it's more logical to get a versatile central midfielder than a one-dimensional, albeit really talented, Diego.

I have indeed forgot Marchisio, just as much as I have forgot to mention how exactly useless Nocerino is. I seriously hope he's the one going on loan next season and the much more valuable Marchisio stays. Of course we still have good old Zanetti to rotate with Sissoko. Most important thing is to have a balance of hard-working and technical central midfielders. And with Sissoko/Zanetti + Modric or Hamsik/Marchisio, we'd have exactly that.

Giovinco could cover for the trequartista role and the left flank with Nedved, but Camoranesi is all alone for the right. That's my main concern, he's been very injury prone this season. We could use another proper right winger, someone who's cheap and who could settle for a rotational role. But I have no idea who.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Your comprehension skills are rusty Johan,
I notice JKris hasn't improved much after all those years. Can't say I'm surprised :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
For the defence,i think signing Mellberg was a good move by Secco.He's a very good defender,not someone who'd be a first team regular as a club like Juventus,but certainly a very good addition to the squad.We obviously need a great central defender in there.I think Samuel would be great,but i dont see Inter offloading him.Then you have players like Zapata..who would cost an insane amount of money,and who would probably end up at other clubs anyway.I honestly dont have a top class central defender in mind that we might be able to buy.Barzalgi is someone that we might be able to buy,but i dont think we'd need him now that we have Mellberg.He only has age over Mellberg,thats it.In terms of skill they're probably at the same level.For the LB position,i think we should bring in Vargas and recall De Ceglie.Give Vargas the main job,and mould De Ceglie into the squad slowly.

For the midfield,im all for Alberto Aquilani.Apparently the rumour is very strong,but if he does join us is another story.I think we have Nedved's replacement in Giovinco already.Field him on the left side,and bring Aquilani and Sissoko in the centre and Camo on the right wing.

For the forward's role,my biased self would want Cassano:D.However my unbiased self would want Saviola..someone who can take Del Piero's place in the squad.Trezeguet can stay,though i wont mind Huntelaar.I dont see both of them co-existing as they are too similar in style and they definatley wont be able to function together on the pitch.

And in the end,id want Mourinho as Ranieri's replacement:D

-----------Buffon---------
Zebina--Girogrio---??---Vargas/De Ceglie
Camo---Aquilani--Sissoko---Giovinco
----Trez/Huntelaar---Saviola/Cassano

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I said Samuel, I meant it as my ideal choice, I'm aware we're unlikely to buy him now. We missed out on him at the start of the season.

Huntelaar....NO! If Trezeguet was 33, 34, than yes but this way, there's really no point. They'd just get in each others way, there's no way of them two working together. I could think of 10 better things to spend Huntelaar money on. All 8 of them being Luka Modric. :tongue:

Oh and, Aquillani is just a dream, nothing else.

And I'd rather die than see that arrogant **** Mexes in this jersey, no matter how good he is.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
if we're to believe we have roughly 50m euros + whatever we bring in in sales, then i think we should spend the money of 3 or 4 quality buys...

for the backline i would love if we signed Zapata, as a future central pairing of chiellini and the Colombian would be miserly...also we need a left back, vargas would be ideal, but i see us signing dossena or another italian in that role...

the midfield is an interesting one, ranieri seems keen to use the 4-4-2 and only modify it slightly on occasions he deems he has to, so i think that marchisio will be brought back and our "big money signing" will slot in here...i think we're more likely to sign van der vaart than diego (or even hamsik), but i also think that ranieri is pushing hard for lampard, and with buffon's admission of wanting a "champion like lampard" it wouldn't totally be out of the realm of the possible that this would go through...i guess if you believe the reports about us scouting marseille then nasri could be a candidate too...if, as reports are circulating, nedved does indeed come back for another year, i don't think we'll do much with the wings...camo and marchionni on the right, nedved and palladino (unless he's used in transfer) on the left...

there is alot of talk about amauri, huntelaar (at least there was, but with madrid in the mix, only way we get him is if we really do have first option on him)...i really think us buying a new striker will be up to what happens with the rest of the squad...if we hang onto palladino and bring back giovinco, then seba would slot in behind nedved on the left and palladino could go back to his more familiar role up front...if we do bring in amauri and call back giovinco then i think palladino's days at juve are numbered...the dream would be berbatov, i know we haven't been linked with him, but i'd love it if he came here...

-----------------------Buffon--------------------------

---Grygera-------Zapata------Chiellini--------Vargas----
---Zebina--------Legro-------Andrade-------Molinaro----

---Camoranesi----Lampard---Sissoko------Nedved-------
---Marchionni----Zanetti----Marchisio-----Giovinco------

---------------Trezeguet----Del Piero-------------------
---------------Iaquinta------Palladino-------------------

we're bringing in zapata, vargas, lampard and recalling giovnico and marchisio, and using nocerino in a part exchange in the zapata deal...doable?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would buy two world class central defenders, it's not easy to bring two, but we should have brought one already at the start of this season. I would still chose Cannavaro as a first option then much younger one, I don't think this will cost a fortune.

I would bring Zambrotta too, if we can't bring two great center backs, so one world class would be enough to pair with Chiellini, thou I would love to see Chiellini as a left back (even many of you will argue about that).

Left midfielder! can VDV play there? if so then we should sign him, I wish if Nedved plays for another year (will he?), I would rotate him with the new comer.

As for central midfielders, we should get rid of both Tiago and Almiron, because Zanetti, Sissoko are doing great job, Nocerino can be a sub of both, and we will have (hopefully) Marchisio and Giovinco back! 5 players for two places is more than enough, so we better offload the other two, and not bring any other player for that spot.

If Palladino will accept being versatile midfielder and will accept the rotating system, then keep him, or else, he will be a headache, because he is not a good enough forward for Juve, and we better bring a new face. I would bring Cassano, as he could be used on the wings too, and also if we receive a good offer for Trezeguet (blasphemy?), I wouldn't mind to replace him with a young striker, Huntelaar?

In short. We need to bring one world class central defender, plus Cassano or any other versatile midfielder and a forward at the same time, this is the least should be done! Ofcourse if Giovinco and Marchisio's return and certain.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
So far, at the beginning of the next transfer window, this is what the squad will probably look like.

GK: Buffon, Belardi, Novembre, Mirante

RB: Grygera, Zebina, Birindelli

CB: Chiellini, Andrade, Mellberg, Legrottaglie, Piccolo, Criscito

LB: Molinaro, De Ceglie

RM: Camoranesi, Marchionni, Salihamidzic

CM: Zanetti, Sissoko, Nocerino, Tiago, Almiron, Marchisio

LM: Nedved, Giovinco

SS: Del Piero, Palladino

CF: Iaquinta, Trezeguet, Lanzafame

There are probably other players on loan that I have forgotten about, but they're probably not important.

GK department is good. Mirante will return from loan and will either be sent out again or will be back-up and Novembre or Belardi goes out on loan.

RB department, it remains to be seen if Grygera can perform well enough to be the starter with CL football in mind. If he performs well for the rest of the season, good. Zebina is more than an adequate sub RB, hopefully he doesn't bitch too much. I just don't want to see Zebina playing against any more world-class forwards and wingers in CL knockout games ever again. Birindelli is just another squad player, who doesn't command high wages. He can stay and play 1 or 2 games a season.

CB department, Piccolo and Criscito return from loans, Mellberg arives on a free. Piccolo probably goes back on loan again or may get sold. Criscito obviously wants to stay in Genoa, plus he's looking quite crappy. Mellberg, I hope to God, that he is just arriving as a bench player and is not our "world class CB." Chiellini has made that position his and we should get a real quality CB to play alongside him. I think everyone agrees that Zapata is the ideal option. Legrottaglie goes back to being bench material. Andrade is supposedly out until September, so that means no pre-season training for him and I doubt any team would want to buy him in the summer window. Hopefully. he can stay fit after that until Januray, and some stupid, rich English club buys him.

LB position. I'm sure everyone wants to see Molinaro gone. That probably won't happen. De Ceglie returns from loan, and we probably don't want to have 3 LBs in our squad, which will happen if we buy the Grosso/ Pasqual/ Vargas, etc., because who the hell will buy Molinaro? What also may happen is that De Ceglie is used in a part-exchange transfer, and then we buy the LB, putting Molinaro on the bench.

RM position, we have Camoranesi, Marchionni and Salihamidzic. Camoranesi's position is his. Marchionni, I hope is sold because he is just a big medical bill under the guise of a player. Salihamidzic will probably stay because nobody will buy him and every coach loves a player who can play in any position, despite how much crap is he is in all. But he is definitely not a good replacement for Camoranesi. Who can we get for there? Maybe some okayish payer that can come cheap like a Semioli or a Behrami.

CM, forget about playmakers. Ranieri is probably staying, and whether we like it or not, we will probably have a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 next season because we are stocking up on DMs. Zanetti has so afr earned a starting spot for next season unless we sign some super CM, and Sissoko looks like his probable partner. Tiago is definitely gone. Almiron's loan ends and Monaco may keep him, or we'll just sell him to a mid-table Spainsh side like Zaragoza. Nocerino is Sissoko's direct replacement. Marchisio returns and is Zanetti's replacement. It is a CM that Capello would be proud of, meaning that it is very solid, and has little creativity. We can look forward to long-ball kingdom next season, with the wingers and forwards having to work overtime trying to create something.

LM, some expect Nedved to retire at the end of the season, but I know he will stay on. Howevcer, the tim ehas come for him to be a bench player. He is on his last, and cannot play in Serie A and CL. We have Giovinco returning, and whether he will be used as a LM, or a SS, remains
to be seen. If he is to be used as a LM, tactics may have to change slightly with Camoranesi taking a more central position alongside Zanetti and Sissoko because Giovinco doesn't have the defensive capablities of Nedved. Also, if injury occurs to either player, we will have to resort to Salihmidzic or De Ceglie.

SS consists of Del Piero, Palladino, and maybe Giovinco, depending on the LM situation. Del Piero is the obvious starter but he must be used sparingly so we can have him at his best. Palladino, I hope leaves as a piece of a transfer for Zapata, Pasqual or somebody. Then we need someone who can play alongside Trezeguet. Iaquinta is capable, but I prefer him as a CF. We may very well end up with Amauri, and he wouldn't be a bad depth signing, though very expensive.

CF, we have Trezeguet and Iaquinta. That area looks good enough to me. if we sign Amauri as our other forward, he can play alongside Trezeguet, Iaquinta or Del Piero, so I think the forward department can be covered quite easily. Lanzafame, I know very little about, loan his ass.

I don't expect anyone to read that whole post, which is my longest ever, so this is this is a quick summary.

OUT: Criscito, Piccolo, Marchionni, Tiago, Almiron, Palladino

IN: Maybe a RB (not priority), CB (Zapata), LB (depends on what their plans for De Ceglie are), RM (Behrami, Semioli), SS/CF (Amauri)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Zebina a sub for Grygera? You gotta be kidding me? Zebina may fave his faults but as far as ability goes, he's above and beyond Grygera and a definitive starter at RB, with the current roster.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
If Grygera plays keeps his form and can play the way he did against Genoa and Inter, then yes. If not, then we need a new RB, becuase the Gygera of earlier this season and Zebina on regular form, aren't good enough and we will need a new RB.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
I'm not much into the whole speculating biz these days, more of whatever will be will be.

But i see several of you think we're not going to make a big midfield purchase, and that i find that odd. I think it'll be the one thing we spend some real money on apart from a centerback. A lot will depend on where Ranieri sees Giovinco playing, if he sees him as a forward or a replacement for Nedved. If he sees him as a Nedved replacement, then we will probably bring in someone to deputise Del Piero, like Quagliarella. If he sees Giovinco as an alternative to DP, then i think we can expect a major purchase in midfield.

And as it's been shown time and again this season, we are half the team without Camo. I think it's logical to think Ranieri must be thinking of bringing in a viable alternative of some quality as RM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If Ranieri stays,we all know that he wont move out of the 4-4-2 zone.In order to accomodate someone like Diego or VDV,he'd need to change that formation,something that he apparently doesnt want to do.Amongst the players we've been linked to,Aquilani and Lampard are the ones who'd fit into Ranieri's favoured 4-4-2 without altering it.

Im not a fan of Semioli TBH.He's a decent player,but not someone that id like to see at Juventus.Id rather give Marchionni one more chance again,and hope that he can get over his injury nightmares.A fully fit Marchionni would be a pretty good asset to us.

·
Administrator
53,292 Posts
Its funny people like to forget or dont mention when Zebina plays well, as he has several times this season (linking up really well with Camo), but with Grygera who has been below average all season long until 2 games or so ago, is applauded for his newfound good display (understandable to highlight a game like Genoa won, MOM performance, but doesnt overshadow a whole season of Zebina outdoing in in every way).

And I am saying this as someone who has allways advocated Zebina be kicked out head first (not allways because he isnt so good, he is just so annoying to look at).

And you should write long posts more Craka (even if I love the "super Momo them hoes" like posts :D), very good post. Agree with the breakdown in all accounts except the one instance I already pointed out.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think Juve should not re-invent the squad. If they achieve 3rd place, then that is telling you something. Of course, we need to strengthen the squad to be able to compete well in the league and the champions league. However, I would only focus on perhaps 3 or 4 additions. Given that defence has been our weakest point as is the midfield - those are where i would focus on. So Zambo and Barzagli would be good additions for defence. Giovinco and another big name player (not necessarily C. Ronaldo but someone close to his stature as a winger/playmaker) would be ideal. Our strikers are just fine for the moment. While Palladino has his faults, he is ok for a 4th striker.

The risk with re-inventing the squad, is that we lack cohesion at the start of the season. Juve is only now starting to function fluidly and I think a large part of it has to do with the players starting to gel together. So we should concentrate our additions on only a few positions but bring in either great quality or players we loaned out to other clubs that did really well.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts