Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
27,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BooM said:
nope, Porto was the greatest upset ever. And Greece winning Euro 04
Porto is a bigger club than VillarReal, and they also won the UEFA cup the year before they won the CL, and they won the national title that year as well, I think.

Villarreal is 8th in their domestic league, or something like that, and they have never competed in the CL before this year.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
BooM said:
nope, Porto was the greatest upset ever. And Greece winning Euro 04
huh? :wallbang: Villareal is the smallest city playing in the Primera division, let alone the CL. Porto are a much more bigger and successful club than Villareal. This would be one of the biggest upsets ever next to Greece winning the last Euro cup.

·
Arsenalation
2,036 Posts
liverpool winning last year was the biggest shock of all. They were perhaps the most boring team ever to win the CL. of course, respect for the comeback.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
yes it would, they are a tiny little club, it would be an amazing achievement by them.

too bad it is up to the Arsenal to shatter their dreams.

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
mojo78 said:
liverpool winning last year was the biggest shock of all. They were perhaps the most boring team ever to win the CL. of course, respect for the comeback.
Are you serious? :howler:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Vila-real (also known as Villarreal) a town in eastern Spain, in the province of Castellón, in the Land of Valencia. Located 7Km. to the South of the province's capital, at 42 m. over sea level. 48,000 inhabitants (2005 data), most of them living in the urban area that covers about 10,72% of its county's 55,4Km.2 surface. Ranked by population, it is the second city in the province (following the capital), and tenth in the Valencian Community region.

I think that takes the cake as un upset if a team from a small town wins the CL!

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
No, how can it be a shock when they have the best playmaker in the World?

This isn't shocking at all, at least for La Liga fans.

On their day Villarreal are a match for anyone.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
L-Pheno said:
No, how can it be a shock when they have the best playmaker in the World?

This isn't shocking at all, at least for La Liga fans.

On their day Villarreal are a match for anyone.
Be realistic for a moment. :rolleyes: Yes, they have Riquelme, but what has Villarreal done in the past aside from win the Intertoto cup? Nothing. So if they are to go from that to winning the CL, it would naturally be an upset and surprise.

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
The shock is that this little club managed to grow so big and buy a player like Riquelme!.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
It would only show the stupidity of that competition. It should be the cup of the champions. And when they´re in (Villareal), they have the right to win it. ;) Either Arsenal or Villareal should win the CL.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I remember to see them in Segunda B when I was a teen in Alicante. They were just another town club of the País Valencià, not even the biggest club of their province (it was always Castellón!!) and, of course, far away from other historical clubs of the region like Valencia, Elche, Hércules, Levante and even Alcoyano.

Just imagine any lost town of one of your countries, an average town. That is Villarreal. Pick any team of League One that never was in the Premiership or a team of Serie C that never played in Serie A... and could you imagine that team in 10 years playing the semis of the CL? It's shocking.

Yes, I'm very surprised by this. If 10 years ago someone had told me that Villarreal would be playing the semis of the CL against Arsenal after beating Man U, Benfica and Rangers, I'd have died laughing. Well, it's less surprising watching the process of this team, it's not casual, it's the result of a well done work, but still... it's unbelievable.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
What does the population of a city has to do with the on-pitch success? The globalization factor with number of foreign players in the team hardly makes population and size of city as a matter of concern.

The fact is that they ended up getting a bunch of big time under-rated players and are now a decent outfit.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts