Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Yes.
His consistant form and goal scoring exploits prior to the notion of Los Galacticos has earned him the tag.

Today he does not play like one, but to varying degrees, that goes for Roberto Carlos, Samuel, Figo, Zidane, Beckham and Ronaldo as well.

Presently, Raul is much like Del Piero in so far as he has an enormous group of fans, a huge name, a fat pay check and he plays far below expectations.
In Raul's defence, it must be said, he has obviously not been below the bar of expectation anyway near as long as DP, but for the past two years he has.

Personaly I think the 'galactico' tag has little to do with performances, though, and all to do with the level of recognition your name invokes in commercial target audiences.
from that point of view Raul will remain a galactico until he retires.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Ze:
Glen,

But do you think Real Madrid would have purcahsed him from another club for a mega huge fee?
At what time are we talking about?

It's not like Zidane would cause anyone to splash more than 70 million Euro today...

Look at what Raul has done in the Spanish league and CL. Of course they'd been going for him. Just like guys like Joaquin and Reyes might easily become the next major purchases by Real if they can offload Figo and Owen in the process. Both will be very expensive indeed, and neither have done 10% of what Raul did in his first years with Real.

Then - if you ask if that's because of nationality also.... Reyes is today at Arsenal as one of the most expensive signings ever, and Chelsea, Juventus and Milan are or have all been in for Joaquin.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
The difference between Del Piero and Raul is that Del Piero has had a couple of very, very serious injuries. Del Piero havn't been the most luckiest guy in the game in that matter, unlike Raul who I believe has been very blessed in that aspect. More then 10 years at the highest level and still no serious injury, that's lucky if you ask me. ( I appoligize if Raul has had an serious injury, I'm not 100% shure but I can't think of him being out for more then a couple of months)

So what is the reason for Raul playing so bad?
I believe he needs a new exprerience. Raul is not motivated. Everything he could ever dream about he has achieved in Madrid, and everything he does is not new. He need a change of enviroment.

On the other hand it's not always necesarry for a player to move to re-find motivation. Look at Maldini and the revival he got when Nesta arrived.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Raul has all the quality to be a 'galactico'. He is a very intelligent player and shooting accuracy which is second-to-none. In his top form, if the ball falls to him when he is in right position (Raul is great positioning) and right angle, than it's a check-mate to opposite team. I agree that the reason he doesn't perform lately is because he might be not well-motivated this days. I'm not a Madrid fan, but I can tell that if he was given choice, Raul would take Morientes anyday as his striking partner instead of Ronaldo.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
since the match of 3-1 juve - madrid 2 years ago, he has been preforming shit

i'd take portillo over him currently.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
The Raul of the past 2 years no, the Raul that has the record for goals scored in CL Championships? Yes.

·
21,026 Posts
Egyptian_Juventino said:
i'd take portillo over him currently.
Your post lost all credibitlity with this statement. Portillo has been worse during the last two years, the guy couldn't even crack the Fiorentina starting XI.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
FYI Raul coudnt crack these clubs:

Juve
Arsenal
Inter
Milan
Manutd
Chelski
Barca
Madrid (owen-Ronnie kick ass)
Roma
Lyon
Bayern Munchen

and those were just at the tip of my head...

does that make him a loser?

YES

·
21,026 Posts
Egyptian_Juventino said:
FYI Raul coudnt crack these clubs:

Juve
Arsenal
Inter
Milan
Manutd
Chelski
Barca
Madrid (owen-Ronnie kick ass)
Roma
Lyon
Bayern Munchen

and those were just at the tip of my head...
Irrelevant. Portillo couldn't even crack Fiorentina. You said that you would take Portillo over Raul, I tell you Portillo is terrible, almost up there with Raul Bravo.

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
The way raul is going he will be lucky to get a contract from garforth in the future:D

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
A team like Real Madrid focuses on the best players at the highest times of pressure.

Raul Gonzalez has scored more goals for the Spanish national team and in the Champions' League than anybody else.

He's one of the most prolific goal scorers of this generation, and would have been purchased, I do believe.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If Raul was of another nationality he most likely wouldn't be named Raul.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
Glen,

But do you think Real Madrid would have purcahsed him from another club for a mega huge fee?
As barca pointed out, depends which Raul we are referring to. The Raul of now will be lucky if he get's bought up by any big team at the moment. If we are talking about a couple of years ago then yes.
Only a couple of years ago AC Milan and Man-U had enquired about him, however Real Madrid made it clear that he would never leave for any price. Raul was very much in demand and this was before many of the galacticos of now were even at Real Madrid. So yes, I think Real Madrid would have went after him a few years ago, but now they wouldn't even consider him. Now he only continues to be a galactico because of past merits and because he is the Spanish football poster boy.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts